Does Restore Point affect SSD'S R/W Cycle?

Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,
14 minutes ago, NickWolf said:

So I checked the Bios settings and I found out that I have an option to Secure Erase the SSD.Should I do this?

No. You do this if you plan on passing on the storage drive to someone else.

Hello guys.So I want to Restore my PC to a previous point(Windows 10) because Web Companion was installed and I tried uninstalling it but it still shows up in the Startup Tab on Task Manager but with a different name "Program".I scanned my PC with Windows Defender but It found nothing.At first I thought I should just Full Format my SSD but first of all I don't know if it will affect the SSD'S lifespan.Then I thought I could try Restore but I don't know if it will affect the SSD'S lifespan and if it will remove the Program/Virus.What do you think I should do?

Thank you.

System restore won't work for removing viruses because it only works on apps that went through the typical installation process. Since Windows doesn't know anything about that virus being installed, it's not going to touch it. At best all System Restore can do is restore any system files that the virus may have corrupted, but the virus will just go back to corrupting them.

Also don't worry about R/W cycles. Unless you're writing literally hundreds of gigabytes per day, the drive will last you far longer than you'll care.

1 hour ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

System restore won't work for removing viruses because it only works on apps that went through the typical installation process. Since Windows doesn't know anything about that virus being installed, it's not going to touch it. At best all System Restore can do is restore any system files that the virus may have corrupted, but the virus will just go back to corrupting them.

Also don't worry about R/W cycles. Unless you're writing literally hundreds of gigabytes per day, the drive will last you far longer than you'll care.

Ok thank you :) Btw what how do I perform a Quick Format instead of Full Format?

6 minutes ago, NickWolf said:

Ok thank you :) Btw what how do I perform a Quick Format instead of Full Format?

If you're going to reinstall Windows, delete all of the partitions first. It'll do a Quick Format by default when you select the drive.

Otherwise if you're doing this on another computer through the File Explorer, the option will be there as a checkbox.

Just now, Mira Yurizaki said:

If you're going to reinstall Windows, delete all of the partitions first. It'll do a Quick Format by default when you select the drive.

Otherwise if you're doing this on another computer through the File Explorer, the option will be there as a checkbox.

I will reinstall Windows 10 on the same SSD.I checked Disk Management and there is only 1 partition.In order to delete this,i have to start the Windows Installation Process and when the "Where Do you Want to Install Windows 10" message comes up I just delete every partition and then its ready,or I should format/delete the disk itself?

3 minutes ago, NickWolf said:

when the "Where Do you Want to Install Windows 10" message comes up I just delete every partition and then its ready,or I should format/delete the disk itself?

Just delete everything. I also believe you have to select the drive and press "New" so it'll create the partitions. But otherwise that's all you have to do.

If you have more than one storage drive in your computer, it's recommended you take out the other ones so you don't accidentally delete the those ones.

2 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Just delete everything. I also believe you have to select the drive and press "New" so it'll create the partitions. But otherwise that's all you have to do.

If you have more than one storage drive in your computer, it's recommended you take out the other ones so you don't accidentally delete the those ones.

Thanks for the help :) Yeah I have one SSD(C) and one HDD,but I want to delete everything from both of them since I have a backup of my photos etc in an external Disk.Thanks again :) 

20 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

So I checked the Bios settings and I found out that I have an option to Secure Erase the SSD.Should I do this?