Gigabyte Aorus x399 Xtreme trouble

So i'm about to upgrade my main rig to a threadripper (2950x), however the motherboard is giving me a lot of trouble. Its not posting, there's a topic about it from a few months ago here but no solution is ever given. As i have a few more questions i thought i'd just start a new topic.

So the codes on the LED i get are 3E and 16. Which is unhelpful. But the CPU LED is on, which means something wrong with the CPU. But i'm doubting it.

My question is to owners of this board who hopefully read this. Are the LED's on(and underneath) the motherboard suppose to turn on when it gets power? there's supposed to be lights on the VRM i think and the chipset but none of it is lighting up. At first i didn't even care as RGB is of no interest to me. But since it won't post, i'm thinking its just dead.

tried googling it but none of the reviews mention anything about it, and the YT unboxings/reviews either don't supply power to it or have it running already and of course don't mention anything about it.

Anyone here that can help me out?

I have no signature

have you tried checking the pins in the socket or remounting the CPU. (this has shown to fix a remarkable ammount of issues)

38 minutes ago, Helly said:

So i'm about to upgrade my main rig to a threadripper (2950x), however the motherboard is giving me a lot of trouble. Its not posting, there's a topic about it from a few months ago here but no solution is ever given. As i have a few more questions i thought i'd just start a new topic.

So the codes on the LED i get are 3E and 16. Which is unhelpful. But the CPU LED is on, which means something wrong with the CPU. But i'm doubting it.

My question is to owners of this board who hopefully read this. Are the LED's on(and underneath) the motherboard suppose to turn on when it gets power? there's supposed to be lights on the VRM i think and the chipset but none of it is lighting up. At first i didn't even care as RGB is of no interest to me. But since it won't post, i'm thinking its just dead.

tried googling it but none of the reviews mention anything about it, and the YT unboxings/reviews either don't supply power to it or have it running already and of course don't mention anything about it.

Anyone here that can help me out?

Can you check the mobo manual as to what those codes mean ?

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

have you tried checking the pins in the socket or remounting the CPU. (this has shown to fix a remarkable ammount of issues)

i've tried that, pins are all fine, remounting changed nothing unfortunately :(.

35 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Can you check the mobo manual as to what those codes mean ?

3B~3E = PCH PEI initialization. which it passes.

16~18 = reserved.

This is how they're shown in the manual.

I have no signature

6 minutes ago, Helly said:

i've tried that, pins are all fine, remounting changed nothing unfortunately :(.

all i can really say is to update BIOS and try remounting the CPU again. 

there have been people who have had multiple issues with the mounting. among them level1tech who handles his TR4 machine quite a bit. 

10 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

all i can really say is to update BIOS and try remounting the CPU again. 

there have been people who have had multiple issues with the mounting. among them level1tech who handles his TR4 machine quite a bit. 

Unfortunately i cant update the bios without posting. Unless you know of a way. This board doesnt have a flashback option to update without a cpu afaik.

but is there no one here who knows if the lighting is supposed to turn on when the board gets power?

I have no signature

12 minutes ago, Helly said:

Unfortunately i cant update the bios without posting. Unless you know of a way. This board doesnt have a flashback option to update without a cpu afaik.

I believe most if not all x399 has a bios flashback button. Since you are using an 2950x it could just be an older BIOS.

Check the manual or the website.

14 minutes ago, Helly said:

but is there no one here who knows if the lighting is supposed to turn on when the board gets power?

Some boards do. Though i dont know if that is after first boot or if the CPU needs to be detected

54 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

I believe most if not all x399 has a bios flashback button. Since you are using an 2950x it could just be an older BIOS.

Check the manual or the website.

already did, there's no mention of flashback in the manual or on the website. This board simply doesn't have it.

I'm going to try remounting the CPU again one last time, if it doesn't work i'm just gonna RMA it i guess.

I have no signature

1 minute ago, Helly said:

already did, there's no mention of flashback in the manual or on the website. This board simply doesn't have it.

I'm going to try remounting the CPU again one last time, if it doesn't work i'm just gonna RMA it i guess.

that would be your best bet. 

probably just an old BIOS, though i would find that odd considering the release date of Threadripper 2k. 

Well the xtreme was released along with the 2k's. So it's supposed to be compatible with them out of the box.

I have no signature

23 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

have you tried remounting the CPU. (this has shown to fix a remarkable ammount of issues)

Well good news finally, neither the board nor the CPU was broken.

Something i never believed could be a problem was actually the problem :P.

This board requires the memory to be in the specific slots that are shown in the manual. I had them the other way around and it completely refused to boot. I refuse to put this on me as the board showed a CPU error and not a memory error.

After putting the CPU back in and 1 memory module in the correct slot the thing lid up like a Christmas tree. I'm a happy camper, can finally build my new rig ?.

ps. yes i tried it with all 4 memory modules that are going in, it still worked ?

I have no signature

1 minute ago, Helly said:

Well good news finally, neither the board nor the CPU was broken.

Something i never believed could be a problem was actually the problem :P.

This board requires the memory to be in the specific slots that are shown in the manual. I had them the other way around and it completely refused to boot. I refuse to put this on me as the board showed a CPU error and not a memory error.

After putting the CPU back in and 1 memory module in the correct slot the thing lid up like a Christmas tree. I'm a happy camper, can finally build my new rig ?.

ps. yes i tried it with all 4 memory modules that are going in, it still worked ?

sometimes the most stupid thing breaks stuff. 

suprised i didnt think of that sanity check.