i5 2400s or i5 3470T ?

Go to solution Solved by Oalei,
4 minutes ago, iAmtheRealJay said:

the i5's price range are $35 to $28, yeah was thinking of getting that too.

how about a LGA 1356.

ok just get the I5 no reason to put that much money on a PC when you cant afford it tbh.

As the title says, which should i get?
I know they`re kinda old but i'm just kinda building this for my little brother. I am limited by my motherboard which is a DH61HO intel motherboard, so i cant get a much more powerful cpu with a tdp more than 65w. Dont wanna spent more my money by choosing i7 processors so i just limit my choices between i5 proc.

Specs.
i3 2120
dh61h0
4gb ddr3 ram ( thinking of upgrading to 8gb )
asus rx 570

i5-2400S, It's still within the limits of the lower powered board, but has more cores and better benchmarks than the 3rd gen.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

1 minute ago, Ross Siggers said:

i5-2400S, It's still within the limits of the lower powered board, but has more cores and better benchmarks than the 3rd gen.

so is it worth upgradable too?

Well, it's definitely better, but 'worthwhile' all depends on how much you're paying, and what you or your bro are doing on the PC in the first place...

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

5 minutes ago, Ross Siggers said:

Yes, but it's Sandy Bridge which is only PCIe 2.0 x16. If he wants to use the full power of the card the 3470T is a better bet because it's got AVX and it also has PCIE 3.0 x16, GPU intensive games would suffer with the 2400S.

Sorry about my spelling sometimes. My $1200 laptop has a $2 keyboard.

15 minutes ago, iAmtheRealJay said:

DH61HO i

that board can handle 95w CPUs just fine, ignore Intel's spec sheet, they are usually garbage. I put a 3770 in a tiny little Dell Optiplex that Dell said could only run i3 CPUs and it's still running 4 years later.

Just now, BleachedFur said:

that board can handle 95w CPUs just fine, ignore Intel's spec sheet, they are usually garbage. I put a 3770 in a tiny little Dell Optiplex that Dell said could only run i3 CPUs and it's still running 4 years later.

can it? well i dont have any cpu to work it with to know if it does. well if it does its a good news. but can it, really?

2 minutes ago, Oalei said:

how about a E3 1240 or something along those line?

yeah i was kinda checking that out too, but that cost like $124 dollars.

Just now, iAmtheRealJay said:

whats the price for the i5's i would really like to reccomend i7 because its just better for everything. Well there is no harm in i5 just get a normal 1 if you can, i chose i5 2400s.

2 minutes ago, iAmtheRealJay said:

can it? well i dont have any cpu to work it with to know if it does. well if it does its a good news. but can it, really?

yeah it's got a decent VRM set up and it's extremely similar to fATX (Flex ATX) boards like the AsRock H67M, those can handle the 2600K + Overclock.

the E3 1240 is on ebay for not very much, but i'd get the 1240 v2 if you go that route because of the PCIe limitation.

I used to have an E3 1240, and I ran SLI 1070s with it which was a mistake, because each 1070 was limited to PCIe 1.1 x8.

1 minute ago, Oalei said:

i would really like to reccomend i7 because its just better for everything.

something like the 3770s would do very well with the RX 570.

Just now, iAmtheRealJay said:

also I'm pretty sure the H61 chipset only supports 2nd generation CPUs, the H67 chipset supports 3rd gen. I have a Lenovo H61 board that only supports 2nd gen and I remembered this because I researched the issue not too long ago.

how about a LGA 1356.

ok just get the I5 no reason to put that much money on a PC when you cant afford it tbh.

3 minutes ago, BleachedFur said:

also I'm pretty sure the H61 chipset only supports 2nd generation CPUs, the H67 chipset supports 3rd gen. I have a Lenovo H61 board that only supports 2nd gen and I remembered this because I researched the issue not too long ago.

so should i risk putting another 2nd or 3rd gen cpu which is not supported by my motherboard?

so should i risk putting another 2nd or 3rd gen cpu which is not supported by my motherboard?

H61 support Gen 3 but idk about OEM's tbh, from my marketplace everything is with H61 (I7 3770,E3 1240v2) because its cheap.

5 minutes ago, Oalei said:

H61 support Gen 3 but idk about OEM's tbh, from my marketplace everything is with H61 (I7 3770,E3 1240v2) because its cheap.

damn it really is cheap on ebay rn.

5 minutes ago, iAmtheRealJay said:

damn it really is cheap on ebay rn.

well its pretty affordable but for a combo i dont really see anything worth it here (i cant use eBay personal reasons).

16 minutes ago, Oalei said:

well its pretty affordable but for a combo i dont really see anything worth it here (i cant use eBay personal reasons).

well as i look at back at my specs that processor was not really kinda supported

well as i look at back at my specs that processor was not really kinda supported

i would like to say something as that RX 570 is very overkill with your pc when you can balance it a bit better, but it depends on games to decide it will bottleneck or not. Well RX 570 isnt so bad when you can just upgrade everything else later on

2 hours ago, iAmtheRealJay said:

i7 2600

2 hours ago, Oalei said:

(i cant use eBay personal reasons).

If you were banned from ebay just make a new account. I don't pay the seller fees so I just make a new account when I want to sell something, ebay's seller fees are a huge fucking scam anyways.

3 minutes ago, BleachedFur said:

If you were banned from ebay just make a new account. I don't pay the seller fees so I just make a new account when I want to sell something, ebay's seller fees are a huge fucking scam anyways.

no it just doesnt make sense to use ebay when im paying shipping fee and taxes which make it very expensive.

1 hour ago, Oalei said:

no it just doesnt make sense to use ebay when im paying shipping fee and taxes which make it very expensive.

where do you live? in the US shipping within the states is usually $25US or less, and often international shipping is less than $10 or free.