Antivirus

Go to solution Solved by Lurick,
1 minute ago, gbergeron said:

-snip-

You don't need to click on anything to become infected with ransomware, spyware, etc. these days. Legit sites can become compromised to spread all sorts of things and ads can spread malware just by you visiting the page it's displayed on. Anti-virus software does a LOT more than just stop viruses these days and a lot of them actually have algorithms to detect unknown threats as well.

Hello, everyone. I just build my first pc and I'm slowly getting into the pc community. I have a quick question about antiviruses programs, are they actually needed? I did some research and I found that most people don't use them. What program should I use in order to protect my pc from malware? Thanks in advance 

4 minutes ago, p_tucnak said:

Hello, everyone. I just build my first pc and I'm slowly getting into the pc community. I have a quick question about antiviruses programs, are they actually needed? I did some research and I found that most people don't use them. What program should I use in order to protect my pc from malware? Thanks in advance 

It depends what you use your pc for.Since as you said you are now a noobie in the pc community an antivirus is a wise choise.Try the bitdefender one its free and one of the best.

7 minutes ago, p_tucnak said:

Windows 10 has defender by default ON.

It's not necessary to download Avast for example...

It's all about the person behind the computer... You mostly will NEVER infect yourself as long as you don't :

- Download torrents

- Open .exe weird files by mistake

- Click on "next" x10 times when installing programs without even looking what addon programs you are agreeing to install as well

- Click on all ads you see in internet etc...

- Others....

Okay so if you think you will make such mistakes you should educate yourself instead, the best anti virus that exist is the user himself.

Anti virus programs just build databases and then when you open files it compares with their database and if it's labelled as a virus it blocks the file...

If you go for a PAID anti virus, you get more managing options, and the database is updated more quickly, thats mostly the main advantage...

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

And I am not saying you will get infected if you download a torrent you know but I am saying if you download Game of throne episode, open the file and end up clicking next next next and seeing some new windows appearing every where, you just in fact executed a .exe file that was containing a script and installed ton shit of crap. Now time to learn how to format and clean install W10 :) 

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

1 minute ago, gbergeron said:

-snip-

You don't need to click on anything to become infected with ransomware, spyware, etc. these days. Legit sites can become compromised to spread all sorts of things and ads can spread malware just by you visiting the page it's displayed on. Anti-virus software does a LOT more than just stop viruses these days and a lot of them actually have algorithms to detect unknown threats as well.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 minutes ago, Lurick said:

For a company obviously you can't take any risks

But those virus or pages are extremely rare and you most likely will never face that situation

I  wouldn't mind but you know I know how to format clean windows and it takes 15 min so worst case if theres a problem with SSDs now its so quick so maybe you shouldnt listen to me xD 

That being said I just ran malwarebyte and found 0 threats been running this w10 for 2 years and download shit tons of torrent all the time

2 hours ago, gbergeron said:

For a company obviously you can't take any risks

But those virus or pages are extremely rare and you most likely will never face that situation

I  wouldn't mind but you know I know how to format clean windows and it takes 15 min so worst case if theres a problem with SSDs now its so quick so maybe you shouldnt listen to me xD 

That being said I just ran malwarebyte and found 0 threats been running this w10 for 2 years and download shit tons of torrent all the time

Yup, that's something I actually know and I am aware that what Lurick said it's possible. Thank you guys for your tips, I'll be careful what I download.  Much appreciated ?