A bit of a problem

So I'm building a mostly second hand PC. It has an i5 3570, Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H rev 1.0, 12 GB of DDR3 RAm @1333 MHz, a MSI Gaming X RX 480, a Crucial BX500 240GB SSD, 500GB Seagate HDD, and an Antec Truepower Classic 650W. I first tested without my GPU, using the integrated graphics. After I pushed the power button the fans revved up to max for a second, then there was a beep, and the system turned on. I believe this is the usual starting sequence. However, when I put my GPU in, there was no beep. All the other components I can confirm work, I tested them in an older system. I have tried literally everything I can think of (full list at the end). I can only do two more things that I can think of.

1) Update the Bios (risky, I've never done it before)

2) Give the motherboard back to the seller a faulty and ask for a new one, or a refund

Please help!

Full list of things I have tried:

- All the different connections that my display supports (DVI-D, D-SUB, HDMI)

- Plugging into the integrated GPU

- Trying to mess around with settings in the BIOS

- Plugged the GPU into the PCI-E x4 slot on my motherboard

- Any combination of the above things

Here's a link to another thread, dated just before I tested my GPU

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1064534-gpu-not-working/?tab=comments#comment-12573542

18 minutes ago, Mr_Argon said:

So I'm building a mostly second hand PC. It has an i5 3570, Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H rev 1.0, 12 GB of DDR3 RAm @1333 MHz, a MSI Gaming X RX 480, a Crucial BX500 240GB SSD, 500GB Seagate HDD, and an Antec Truepower Classic 650W. I first tested without my GPU, using the integrated graphics. After I pushed the power button the fans revved up to max for a second, then there was a beep, and the system turned on. I believe this is the usual starting sequence. However, when I put my GPU in, there was no beep. All the other components I can confirm work, I tested them in an older system. I have tried literally everything I can think of (full list at the end). I can only do two more things that I can think of.

1) Update the Bios (risky, I've never done it before)

Here's a link to another thread, dated just before I tested my GPU

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1064534-gpu-not-working/?tab=comments#comment-12573542

You need to update the firmware (BIOS/UEFI), with the latest version (should appear as "beta").

The RX series require a newer UEFI version to function.

And updating the firmware is not as risky as you think, so long as you understand what you are doing.

My recommendation, when updating the firmware, make sure to do a "full" upgrade (Gigabyte has some odd naming in the firmwares).

Just now, moriel5 said:

You need to update the firmware (BIOS/UEFI), with the latest version (should appear as "beta").

The RX series require a newer UEFI version to function.

And updating the firmware is not as risky as you think, so long as you understand what you are doing.

My recommendation, when updating the firmware, make sure to do a "full" upgrade (Gigabyte has some odd naming in the firmwares).

Would this be the right page? The F15 version of the BIOS? Also, I'm from New Zealand, what do I choose, Asia?

3 minutes ago, Mr_Argon said:

Would this be the right page? The F15 version of the BIOS? Also, I'm from New Zealand, what do I choose, Asia?

Correct. I'm surprised it is not labeled "beta", but it shouldn't matter.

What version are you on right now?

As for the server, the only difference will be in the network speed.

Looking at the other thread, you shouldn't be getting video from the iGPU when the dGPU is connected, regardless of the "Init first" setting, since the iGPU is disabled in such a scenario.

The only way for that setting to be relevant, would be if you had turned on the "Multi-GPU" (or something like it) on.

7 minutes ago, moriel5 said:

Correct. I'm surprised it is not labeled "beta", but it shouldn't matter.

What version are you on right now?

As for the server, the only difference will be in the network speed.

I have version F4...

Could you please direct me to a reliable site that can tell me how to update my BIOS?

2 minutes ago, Mr_Argon said:

I have version F4...

Could you please direct me to a reliable site that can tell me how to update my BIOS?

Than you definitely need to upgrade the firmware.

No need for an external site, you just need to start the built-in firmware upgrade utility (should be something like F8, though I do not remember by heart) and navigate to the file.

Possibly, it may also appear in the firmware (BIOS/UEFI) settings.

If you can wait, say 6 hours or so, I should be able to verify on my sister's computer (GA-H77-D3H Rev.1.2).

Just now, moriel5 said:

Than you definitely need to upgrade the firmware.

No need for an external site, you just need to start the built-in firmware upgrade utility (should be something like F8, though I do not remember by heart) and navigate to the file.

Possibly, it may also appear in the firmware (BIOS/UEFI) settings.

If you can wait, say 6 hours or so, I should be able to verify on my sister's computer (GA-H77-D3H Rev.1.2).

Yeah, it says F8 : Q-Flash in the BIOS. So do I have to download the new version to a USB, or just to my SSD?

Just now, Mr_Argon said:

Yeah, it says F8 : Q-Flash in the BIOS. So do I have to download the new version to a USB, or just to my SSD?

Yeah, Q-Flash it is.

My recommendation, put the file (after you extract it) on the root of the flashdrive, and boot the computer with the flashdrive already connected.