Gigabyte Aero 15 Classic

Hey,

So I recently brought a Gigabyte Aero 15 and wanted to write about my experience with it. My version is the Aero 15 Classic with a i7-9750H, 16GB of RAM, 512GB M.2 ssd, and a RTX2070 Max-Q.
So far it has been a very capable machine. It is able to run VR really well, it is as good if not better than my old desktop with a GTX 1070 in it. I have been able to play demanding games without any hitching, and the 240Hz monitor is a dream, as someone who has long fought against high refresh monitors are a waste of time I am amazed how much of a difference it makes. 
I am also a developer, and I have more than enough power to play with multi threaded programming and use creative tools (Unity3D, Unreal, Blender, etc).

As for general day to day, I have to commute to London everyday an the weight is low enough for me to carry with me, it is not much heavier than my surface pro 4 which I was using before to do dev work on the move. It is also has a very small foot print, using the new thin bezel design that is going around and I hope it is here to stay as to keeps the size down without sacrificing screen space. 
The keyboard (which I am using right now) is light, does not require very much force to actuate, for me this makes it very comfortable to use, and has some nice physical feedback even with the small travel distance.

The touch pad, although maybe not up to the same feel as the mac pro it is one of the best touch pads I have used, very accurate, very smooth, and not having the dedicated buttons at the bottom gives enough space for moving around and use the mouse over the whole screen.

Anyway I hope this has help anyone who is looking for a new high powered laptop.

@Oblivion181 could you check GPU-Z and let me know if the 2070maxq is the 90W version? Apparently there are 80W and 90W variants of this gpu!

1 hour ago, Patapon said:

@Oblivion181 could you check GPU-Z and let me know if the 2070maxq is the 90W version? Apparently there are 80W and 90W variants of this gpu!

It's the 80W variant. Cooling in Aero 15 is bad, no way it's a 90W

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

3 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

It's the 80W variant. Cooling in Aero 15 is bad, no way it's a 90W

I think the thermal issues can be solved with a simple thermal repaste. I used kryonaut and here:

CPU max 85C, GPU max 63C on a burnin stress test... Is the performance delta between 80W and 90W huge?

image.thumb.png.a21882e7a4ae5a180fed5902a46b7e7f.png

5 minutes ago, Patapon said:

I think the thermal issues can be solved with a simple thermal repaste

It's the cooling design itself that limits the thermal performance

6 minutes ago, Patapon said:

CPU max 85C, GPU max 63C on a burnin stress test

What program? How about clock speeds?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

If you point me to where on GPU-z it shows power I would be happy to let you know. Although I would say though that the temperatures have not been too bad on the GPU, the CPU can get a little toasty, but GPU not so much.

• 4 weeks later...

@GeneXiS_X 3.7Ghz sustained with temps as shown in graph. I don't understand why people say it's thermal throttling. If anything, I find power limit throttling a bigger concern!

13 minutes ago, Patapon said:

@GeneXiS_X 3.7Ghz sustained with temps as shown in graph. I don't understand why people say it's thermal throttling. If anything, I find power limit throttling a bigger concern!

Doesn't mention what software is used - some aren't really heavy load. And the results are from XoticPC? Sounds even more cheeky

If you look at most reviews, CPU is >90C and GPU is >80C in games. I'm just telling the fact. Of course, you can choose to not believe and ignore what I've said. If you think that you're right then you're always right

Desktop specs:

Spoiler