Plastic sheet in my PSU???

agf123

Hello guys, i noticed my PSU has some kind of plastic sheet cover half of the PSU fan, it's Seasonic S12II 620W and the question is: Should i remove it? Cuz i got my screwdriver right here.

3 minutes ago, agf123 said:

Hello guys, i noticed my PSU has some kind of plastic sheet cover half of the PSU fan, it's Seasonic S12II 620W and the question is: Should i remove it? Cuz i got my screwdriver right here.

There typically is an insulating plastic-sheet inside PSUs. It's there just in case a high-voltage spark happened. However, I do not know your PSU and I don't know if this is the case for you or not.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

6 minutes ago, agf123 said:

i noticed my PSU has some kind of plastic sheet cover half of the PSU fan

It's intentional! It's to help direct the airflow from one side of the PSU towards the exhaust at the back. Don't try to remove it.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

It's intentional! It's to help direct the airflow from one side of the PSU towards the exhaust at the back. Don't try to remove it.

Okay ty

2 hours ago, agf123 said:

Should i remove it? Cuz i got my screwdriver right here.

No. 

2 hours ago, WereCatf said:

There typically is an insulating plastic-sheet inside PSUs. It's there just in case a high-voltage spark happened. 

No. 

5 hours ago, agf123 said:

Hello guys, i noticed my PSU has some kind of plastic sheet cover half of the PSU fan,

Yeah, that's because they need the airflow in a specific area and use that to direct the airflow to those areas.

5 hours ago, agf123 said:

it's Seasonic S12II 620W and the question is: Should i remove it? Cuz i got my screwdriver right here.

No, you might want to replace the PSU anyway as its a pretty bad PSU, for the money its one of the worst if not the worst because it lacks protection and doesn't have good voltage regulation. Well, its almost 10 years old at this time...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

31 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

No, you might want to replace the PSU anyway as its a pretty bad PSU, for the money its one of the worst if not the worst because it lacks protection and doesn't have good voltage regulation. Well, its almost 10 years old at this time...

I just bought it new cuz it's on sale for 70$ in my country. Someone said it's a PSU based on older platform but still a decent one ?. It's in tier 4 out of 7 from a guide of this forum. Can't go higer than that cuz my wallet not allow it.

My PSU (AX860i) is out of warranty and a screw fell inside.

After minutes of shaking, it was a no go so i disassemble.

Forgot the plastic stuff and misplaced it.

Temps are quite high, at 42.50'C on full system load - 450W, I might be killing it as I type this (Gaming, OC'ing)

This happened about a year ago.

Lesson:  don't misplace parts when you disassemble - take pics if need be

1 hour ago, agf123 said:

I just bought it new cuz it's on sale for 70$ in my country.

Condolences

Can you still return it and replace it with a cooler master master watt, Corsair CX x50W, be quiet Pure Power 1x (or even System Power 9)?

1 hour ago, agf123 said:

Someone said it's a PSU based on older platform but still a decent one

He was wrong.

It was never that good. 

Back in 2010 it was somewhat OKish at best.

That was almost 10 years ago.

But the Problem with the shitty protection remained.

And its really really loud at medium loads (such as 250W).

1 hour ago, agf123 said:

It's in tier 4 out of 7 from a guide of this forum. Can't go higer than that cuz my wallet not allow it.

FSP Hyper K or some other lower end are also better...

And if you don't have the money, you'll be fine with 400-500W.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

14 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Condolences

Can you still return it and replace it with a cooler master master watt, Corsair CX x50W, be quiet Pure Power 1x (or even System Power 9)?

He was wrong.

It was never that good. 

Back in 2010 it was somewhat OKish at best.

That was almost 10 years ago.

But the Problem with the shitty protection remained.

And its really really loud at medium loads (such as 250W).

FSP Hyper K or some other lower end are also better...

And if you don't have the money, you'll be fine with 400-500W.

Damn... A lesson for me. Thanks! But can't return it  ?.

I haven't encounter any loud noise yet. It's running with my I5-3470 and RX 570.

Hope it'll last me for like 2-3 years, bad protection i can ignore it cuz i rarely play (only at night) and never play during a storm.