Windows 10 Stuttering every ~2 seconds since 15/05/2019

Go to solution Solved by NinJake,
19 minutes ago, ThorLangestrand said:

Updated to build 18362, will wait probably 24 hours to check for problems before marking the post fixed. I do not see an option for WSUS. -snip-

Awesome, hopefully it's all good now!

Windows 10 stutters every 2 seconds or so. This was not an issue before I got on the pc 16/05/2019, but it had been running overnight.

Windows Defender has been disabled for months, and it still was when the issues started occurring

So far I have tried:

>removing the security updates that came while the pc was running overnight

>rolling back to a restore point on 12/05/2019

>rolling back graphics drivers

Video example:

System:

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134

Intel Core i7-8700k at 3.7GHz

ASUS GeForce GTX 1080Ti ROG Strix Gaming 11GB

ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming

HyperX Fury DDR4 2666Mhz 16GB

Corsair RM850x 850W

Bios version: American Megatrends Inc. 0430

On 5/16/2019 at 1:28 PM, ThorLangestrand said:

-snip-

Try going back to an old version of Windows, or, far more likely, install an antivirus and run a scan

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

Have ran a scan with malwarebytes and it found nothing, will try hard resetting pc

I had something like that many years ago in Windows 7, it was weird driver issue. Or Kingston V100 SSD, hard to remember.

If its a file system problem try sfc /scannow

But try in safe mode and you can try some kind of live cd, to see if its Windows problem or system problem.

Do you mean to reinstall Windows? If the problem persists, it could be related to RAM modules... Before reinstalling, I would try the following two commands, in the hope that the faulty files that could be causing this problem will be repaired:

1. CHKDSK

2. sfc /scannow

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

18 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

Do you mean to reinstall Windows? If the problem persists, it could be related to RAM modules... Before reinstalling, I would try the following two commands, in the hope that the faulty files that could be causing this problem will be repaired:

1. CHKDSK

2. sfc /scannow

Issue did not get fixed

cmd_58IXCLsg3O.png

24 minutes ago, zeibis said:

I had something like that many years ago in Windows 7, it was weird driver issue. Or Kingston V100 SSD, hard to remember.

But try in safe mode and you can try some kind of live cd, to see if its Windows problem or system problem.

will try safe mode once I finish backing up the files I hadn't backed up beforehand

38 minutes ago, ThorLangestrand said:

- snip -

Oh, I see! if after reinstalling the operating system the problem is still here, try checking the memory modules...

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

2 hours ago, zeibis said:

1 hour ago, seagate_surfer said:

Oh, I see! if after reinstalling the operating system the problem is still here, try checking the memory modules...

Checked memory, no issues. Currently in safe mode and the issue is gone (granted I should have tested for a lot longer, only tested for about 10 minutes). Should I then just do a clean install of windows?

Edited by ThorLangestrand
Clarification and additional information

4 hours ago, seagate_surfer said:

A clean reinstall seems to have fixed it (for now). I wish windows would just work

19 hours ago, ThorLangestrand said:

Windows 10 stutters every 2 seconds or so. This was not an issue before I got on the pc 16/05/2019, but it had been running overnight.

Windows Defender has been disabled for months, and it still was when the issues started occurring

So far I have tried:

Video example:

System:

Corsair RM850x 850W

Are you sure your CPU overclock is stable? Have you tried increasing the voltage slightly? If not that then it this point you should back up any important data and fresh reinstall windows.

GTX 1070 RYZEN 5 1600, 16GB 3200mhz, G Pro Wireless,144HZ.

1 hour ago, Online_Cesspool said:

Are you sure your CPU overclock is stable? Have you tried increasing the voltage slightly? If not that then it this point you should back up any important data and fresh reinstall windows.

Apologies, should have been clearer. My cpu is at stock, no overclock whatsoever.

1 hour ago, ThorLangestrand said:

Apologies, should have been clearer. My cpu is at stock, no overclock whatsoever.

Ok. Have you tried checking your ram? Sounds like possibly a ram issue if not CPU

GTX 1070 RYZEN 5 1600, 16GB 3200mhz, G Pro Wireless,144HZ.

My bet was on driver issue or bad ssd from my experience, good if you got it sorted out.

It was fine for a couple days after windows reset, but now it's back. I'm unsure if I should create a new thread or not but I am because I marked that one as "solved", so apologies if I'm not supposed to. In the thread it was recommended to me to run a memory diagnostic check, but it found no issues, so I don't think it's a RAM related issue. Does anyone have any clue what could be wrong? Paste of previous post for context.

>

So far I have tried:

Video example:

System:

Corsair RM850x 850W

Run Windows update and make sure it's fully up to date, your Build 17134 is an older build.

What type of storage device(s)? HDD/SSD?

4 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Run Windows update and make sure it's fully up to date, your Build 17134 is an older build.

What type of storage device(s)? HDD/SSD?

2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSDs

Are they in RAID at all? Hows the capacity of them? Full? 95% full? Have you ran any tests to ensure your drives aren't failing?

Either way, definitely make sure you run updates until you get the green check mark indicating you've received all updates.

6 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Are they in RAID at all? Hows the capacity of them? Full? 95% full? Have you ran any tests to ensure your drives aren't failing?

Either way, definitely make sure you run updates until you get the green check mark indicating you've received all updates.

Not in raid, both have a lot of free space.Checked with both hard disk sentinel and crystaldiskinfo and neither found any issues. Ran a windows update, but even though it says I'm completely up to date I'm still running build 17134.

To add to this, the problem does not come as soon as I start up the system. Right now as I'm typing this (5 minutes after startup) everything is working fine and the issue is not present.

explorer_scsTcQHJBN.png

Something likely updated or got corrupt or interrupted during the update process. Since it happened last Wednesday a lot of automatic patching and updating happens on Tuesday Night/Wednesday Morning. However without being able to tell, and it looks like that's a pretty fresh install of Windows I'd try a fresh install using the latest media creation tool for Windows 10. ( https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 ) - also make sure to back up any files that you may want to keep beforehand.

If you don't fancy a clean install or are willing to try this first, take out your graphics card and use a single stick of memory if you have 2x8gb sticks or 4x4gb sticks. If you only have 1 stick of 16gb ram then unseat it and reseat it in place to ensure a proper connection.

With your graphics card out of your PC you can use the iGPU from your processor for the time being and for testing purposes. If the stuttering stops, you know something is up with the nvidia driver for your graphics card.

Edit: my only other thought, is since you have a PRO license for windows, it's not looking or set up for a domain or a WSUS server is it? You can check in regedit by searching regedit and hitting enter. Then navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Policies > Microsoft > Windows > Windowsupdate > AU and you should see a key called "Use wsus" or something along those lines. If the key is set to 0 or you can't navigate to the "Windowsupdate" section of the registry, you aren't using WSUS, if it's set to 1 and you have admin rights, change it to 0 and run windows update once more. Switch this key back to 1 if you want to continue using WSUS.

I also noticed your drives have a strange green check next to each of them? I don't notice that on mine so do you have something installed that adds those check marks?

save1.png

2 minutes ago, NinJake said:

I also noticed your drives have a strange green check next to each of them? I don't notice that on mine so do you have something installed that adds those check marks?

save1.png

It's either hard disk sentinel or crystaldiskinfo, probably the former (just installed those 2 very recently in order to check if the drives were bad). 

34 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Something likely updated or got corrupt or interrupted during the update process. Since it happened last Wednesday a lot of automatic patching and updating happens on Tuesday Night/Wednesday Morning. However without being able to tell, and it looks like that's a pretty fresh install of Windows I'd try a fresh install using the latest media creation tool for Windows 10. ( https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 ) - also make sure to back up any files that you may want to keep beforehand.

If you don't fancy a clean install or are willing to try this first, take out your graphics card and use a single stick of memory if you have 2x8gb sticks or 4x4gb sticks. If you only have 1 stick of 16gb ram then unseat it and reseat it in place to ensure a proper connection.

With your graphics card out of your PC you can use the iGPU from your processor for the time being and for testing purposes. If the stuttering stops, you know something is up with the nvidia driver for your graphics card.

Edit: my only other thought, is since you have a PRO license for windows, it's not looking or set up for a domain or a WSUS server is it? You can check in regedit by searching regedit and hitting enter. Then navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Policies > Microsoft > Windows > Windowsupdate > AU and you should see a key called "Use wsus" or something along those lines. If the key is set to 0 or you can't navigate to the "Windowsupdate" section of the registry, you aren't using WSUS, if it's set to 1 and you have admin rights, change it to 0 and run windows update once more. Switch this key back to 1 if you want to continue using WSUS.

Updated to build 18362, will wait probably 24 hours to check for problems before marking the post fixed. I do not see an option for WSUS. regedit_Wgk9qy1lPd.png.7aca6b32d39c0ba94b56cf4a2f634288.png

Edited by ThorLangestrand
changed "system" to "post"

19 minutes ago, ThorLangestrand said:

Updated to build 18362, will wait probably 24 hours to check for problems before marking the post fixed. I do not see an option for WSUS. -snip-

Awesome, hopefully it's all good now!

• 5 months later...

I know this thread is old, but did updating windows fix the issue, or did it come back?

I'm experiencing this exact thing and I've tried everything I can think of.

I've done multiple clean installs of windows, updated all drivers, changed all hardware in my pc one by one, tried uninstalling a few updates from windows and got rid of all unnecessary software, but no luck.