When buying laptop. How to compare, what look at ?

Hey all good people! 

Usually, I was asking which laptop was the best choice to buy. 

This time I would like to ask, how to decide my self, which laptop will be better?!

What the focus should be on? How to compare. 

There, of course, things I know. Like the Resolution, and monitor size will benefit for the battery life, as well as the CPU "U" vs "H" models. 

But what about the rest?

The GPU models? If there is only the CPU integrated GPU vs GPU like MX 130/160, how to compare them?

Also, if the laptop has a touch display, what matters for it? (I AM TALKING ALWAYS BEST PERFORMANCE  first). The GPU? CPU? RAM?

Also, is it a good idea at all to buy a laptop with touch display (we talking about the flipping laptop like Lenovo Yoga).

In my thoughts that after 1 year of use, the mechanism will die, or will break. 

I noticed, that there are laptops that have an integrated ram onboard 4GB, + 4GB SDRAM, up to 12GB.

I know that ram usually goes in single or pairs - 4,8,16,32,64  GB. SO how is it that Laptop has 12 GB? 

In your opinion, is it better to get a laptop with a copy Windows on it? Or Clean?

I mean, if you will let say, get new SSD, you probably gonna lose the reinstallation option, and will have to use a USB installation, right?!

And you might reactivate, although I heard, that the Windows key is been archived somewhere in the motherboard of the laptop.

How critical the RAM speed on Laptops vs Desktops?

And the other important thing is the battery: (3 Cells 42 Whrs Battery) vs (4-cell 45WHr Battery).  which is better, and how to compare.

On new ASUS Laptops, there is this thing: to save space and make the Screen bezel look smaller in the bottom they make the bottom become as a stand/lift mechanism. Do you think it will break in the future, is it will be any good?

Thank you in advance.

PS. In case you might be interested to suggest something: 

For Medical student.

Light, and powerful laptop, that will serve for more than 4 years. 

https://ksp.co.il/   On top you can change the Language to English (if it will not be that way from the start).

CPU - AMD 5800XMotherboard - ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING , Memory  - G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 ,

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti MSI SUPRIM X 12G,  Case - 4000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid - Tower ATX Case - Black ,

Storage - Samsung 970 EvoPlus 500GB - Samsung 870 EVO 1TB + 6TB HDD,

PSU - Corsair HX1000 , Display -  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27A 165HZ + Dell 24 UltraSharp Monitor , Cooling - Noctua NH-D15 Black , 

Keyboard - Razer Stalker , Mouse - Logitec G502 Wireless , Operating System - Win 10 Pro , 

Sound - Logitech Z906 5.1 THX Surround Sound Speaker System

You have so many questions, how to answer

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

H cpus are 6 cored and are more high performance than u series.

you have made 1.2k posts. I thought you should know by now.

also if you want high performance laptops best to get the ones that come with the right ssd

18 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

You have so many questions, how to answer

Well, I am not the only one. 

CPU - AMD 5800XMotherboard - ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING , Memory  - G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 ,

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti MSI SUPRIM X 12G,  Case - 4000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid - Tower ATX Case - Black ,

PSU - Corsair HX1000 , Display -  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27A 165HZ + Dell 24 UltraSharp Monitor , Cooling - Noctua NH-D15 Black , 

Keyboard - Razer Stalker , Mouse - Logitec G502 Wireless , Operating System - Win 10 Pro , 

13 minutes ago, MojangYang said:

H cpus are 6 cored and are more high performance than u series.

you have made 1.2k posts. I thought you should know by now.

also if you want high performance laptops best to get the ones that come with the right ssd

The 1.2 posts are all on different subjects. Some similar a little. 

The CPU, I know the difference, and I know where to compare them. (website) But I meant something else, and the right person knows what I mean. (No offense)

The SSD is not all, and of course, I would upgrade the SSD. The RAM can be an important key. 

3 minutes ago, keavlar said:

Well, I am not the only one. 

TBH you just have to provide relevant info so that I can help you to pick the best options. It will be very time consuming and confusing if you try to do your own laptop research.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

it differs for everyone, preferences...

define your purpose first work/ battery/ game etc

I compare specs with laptop lol, so i translate the parts to compare with desktop  for best bang for bucks. 

then get least ram / hard drive as possible and upgrade myself /  separate buy.

also these are the only transferable parts

then watch the reviews that meets your requirements

But what about the rest? 

The GPU models? If there is only the CPU integrated GPU vs GPU like MX 130/160, how to compare them?

GPU performance can be compared with FPS

Also, if the laptop has a touch display, what matters for it?

For a touchscreen laptop, a hinge that doesn't wobble is important. 

Also, is it a good idea at all to buy a laptop with touch display (we talking about the flipping laptop like Lenovo Yoga).

Depends on your usage. 

My sister's Yoga 2 13 from 2014 hinge is still strong. 

I noticed, that there are laptops that have an integrated ram onboard 4GB, + 4GB SDRAM, up to 12GB.

I know that ram usually goes in single or pairs - 4,8,16,32,64  GB. SO how is it that Laptop has 12 GB? 

A laptop can have 12GB of RAM thanks to mismatched RAM configuration e.g. 4GB + 8GB

In your opinion, is it better to get a laptop with a copy Windows on it? Or Clean?

I mean, if you will let say, get new SSD, you probably gonna lose the reinstallation option, and will have to use a USB installation, right?!

I prefer Windows to come pre installed because installing drivers for laptops can be a nightmare 

And you might reactivate, although I heard, that the Windows key is been archived somewhere in the motherboard of the laptop.

True, Windows 10 will auto activate even if you install Windows 10 from scratch on a new drive as long as your motherboard has had an activated installation of Windows 10 before. 

RAM speed is more critical on Ryzen systems. 

And the other important thing is the battery: (3 Cells 42 Whrs Battery) vs (4-cell 45WHr Battery).  which is better, and how to compare.

The larger the watt hour, the longer the battery life.

On new ASUS Laptops, there is this thing: to save space and make the Screen bezel look smaller in the bottom they make the bottom become as a stand/lift mechanism. Do you think it will break in the future, is it will be any good

Ergo lift is the name and no, I don't think it will break in the future. The usability of which again will depend on your usage. 

Just now, GeneXiS_X said:

TBH you just have to provide relevant info so that I can help you to pick the best options. It will be very time consuming and confusing if you try to do your own laptop research.

Thanks for the care. 

You suggested me Laptops in the past. 

I kinda love researching things like that.

I help friends, a lot when getting a new PC or Laptop.

I thought I should stop asking for help, and pieces of advice, and know what to look.

Before that, I would always look for the beast Laptop, in a smaller package. 

If I knew before I bought my 4k laptop, with "U" CPU model, what I know today, I wouldn't do it. 

XD

If you find it hard to answer my questions, or they don't make sense, I will be glad to know how you choose/ suggest the right laptop for each individually?! 

How you decide, what you focus on?

Thanks AGain. 

56 minutes ago, keavlar said:

Hey all good people! 

Usually, I was asking which laptop was the best choice to buy. 

This time I would like to ask, how to decide my self, which laptop will be better?!

Good, learning to make your own decisions is always better because people have bias AND can't read minds

What the focus should be on? How to compare. 

Well it depends on the use case. You need to examine how you plan to use the laptop, where you plan to use the laptop, what programs you plan to use the laptop with,  what hardware those programs prefer, how much you plan to spend on a laptop, and how long you plan for the laptop to last.

But what about the rest?

It's not the most accurate tool but it's one of the best we've got, I use Userbenchmark

Also, if the laptop has a touch display, what matters for it? (I AM TALKING ALWAYS BEST PERFORMANCE  first). The GPU? CPU? RAM?

There are legitimate uses for a touchscreen like art, if you can't find a reason for it, then that means it likely just does not fit your use case. If you are asking what drive the touchscreen they usually have dedicated processors just for handling the input, otherwise I would imagine that the CPU would handle that.

Well... unless you are purchasing chromebooks or other low performance laptops, generally speaking most laptops come with 8, 16, or 32GB of system RAM (dedicated to the CPU) and if it has a GPU then 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, or 11GB of VRAM (dedicated to the GPU). when it comes to RAM it is widely considered at this time that 8GB is the bare minimum to run a CPU properly and 16GB is the proper amount, as with 8GB you have enough RAM to run Windows and a program or 2.

I would get the laptop with Windows, as it is cheaper that way IF you intend to run Windows, and yes the key will remain attached to your computer, you will just need to select the "I don't have a key" option, and it will then attempt to verify it once the OS is up and running, in which case it will almost certainly find it and activate.

About the same, although some boards will not support faster than 2400mhz (check your spec sheet) so just get a RAM kit that is as fast or faster than your minimum spec, or that meets your needs.

The latter, because it is all about the WHrs (Watt Hours) the more the better so theoretically the 45 WHr battery can sustain an 80 watt laptop under load for just over half an hour when the battery is in prime condition. 

On new ASUS Laptops, there is this thing: to save space and make the Screen bezel look smaller in the bottom they make the bottom become as a stand/lift mechanism. Do you think it will break in the future, is it will be any good?

Only time will tell.

Thank you in advance.

Your welcome!

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

7 minutes ago, keavlar said:

If you find it hard to answer my questions, or they don't make sense, I will be glad to know how you choose/ suggest the right laptop for each individually?! 

How you decide, what you focus on?

I will answer later when I have the time

Depends on your requirements. Build quality is the thing I would always look at when suggesting laptops. If you don't know which model has good exterior build quality, you need to search for reviews which is time consuming.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, bindydad123 said:

GPU performance can be compared with FPS

I know That, I meant like is it even will matter if you watch Netflix, Youtube. With performance. 

When you watch the youtube video, you can use the CPU for graphics performance, or drop it on the GPU, and that way you will have less RAM Usage in Chrome. But more power will be consumed when using the GPU not integrated into CPU. 

6 minutes ago, bindydad123 said:

For a touchscreen laptop, a hinge that doesn't wobble is important. 

Yes, I know that. But the in some the GPU matters as well. The speed that your Laptop will answer your inquiries. 

Like moving a folder, or typing.

7 minutes ago, bindydad123 said:

Depends on your usage. 

Not all think that way. 

The Touch display Laptops can be less reliable cause they have another part that might break, and need a replacement. 

9 minutes ago, bindydad123 said:

I prefer Windows to come pre-installed because installing drivers for laptops can be a nightmare 

Well, with Win 10, and this era, it actually less an issue. 

Yesterday I reinstalled my Laptop. And had to install the GPU drivers only. 

What also you need, is maybe: USB drivers, for the USB 3.0/3.1, Lan port, WI-FI. And basically, that is all. 

12 minutes ago, bindydad123 said:

The larger the watt-hour, the longer the battery life.

The only answer that gives me some new information. But: what if: this is the specs?  3 cells vs 4, same Whrs

which one will win? (3 Cells 45 Whrs Battery) vs (4-cell 45WHr Battery)

Just now, keavlar said:

Yes, I know that. But the in some the GPU matters as well. The speed that your Laptop will answer your inquiries. 

Like moving a folder, or typing.

The GPU grabs the basic location data, textures and the like from the CPU and turns it into data on screen. So you just need a decent one in general the need is not exclusive to touch screens.

2 minutes ago, keavlar said:

The only answer that gives me some new information. But: what if: this is the specs?  3 cells vs 4, same Whrs

which one will win? (3 Cells 45 Whrs Battery) vs (4-cell 45WHr Battery)

Technically neither, as they both contain the same amount of power, though in most cases three and six are the ideal arrangements, due to the fact that lithium ion batteries produce 3.7 to 4.2 volts and will have less heat waste when being converted to an even 12 volts for the 12 volt rails.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

15 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Good, learning to make your own decisions is always better because people have bias AND can't read minds

Thank you. 

15 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Well it depends on the use case. You need to examine how you plan to use the laptop, where you plan to use the laptop, what programs you plan to use the laptop with,  what hardware those programs prefer, how much you plan to spend on a laptop, and how long you plan for the laptop to last.

22 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

It's not the most accurate tool but it's one of the best we've got, I use Userbenchmark

Thanks, but I was talking more about power usage.

Example: When watching the Youtube video, you can separate the work between GPU and CPU (in chrome at least).

Or run it only on the CPU. But with that action, you can create a more power consumption work plan. 

So if you not planning to play, does it really matter? 

There are legitimate uses for a touchscreen like art, if you can't find a reason for it, then that means it likely just does not fit your use case. If you are asking what drive the touchscreen they usually have dedicated processors just for handling the input, otherwise I would imagine that the CPU would handle that.

Yeah I am aware of that, but we all used to phones, and I am sure, everyone, from time to time wished they could use the monitor to do something. 

Like when you lie in bed and watch youtube, you prefer to touch screen to select a video you wanna watch, or scroll down, and not the touchpad. 

The second sentence does answer my question in a half. This is what interesting if the main CPU handles the Touch screen, it means that it can lower the performance for the rest of the device and application, cause it will be consuming some of its performance that way. 

Cause of touchscreen, will there be a  drawback on the battery. 

The latter, because it is all about the WHrs (Watt Hours) the more the better so theoretically the 45 WHr battery can sustain an 80 watt laptop under load for just over half an hour when the battery is in prime condition. 

Could you please elaborate? Give examples? 

Thanks again. :) Kind Stranger. 

27 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Depends on your requirements. Build quality is the thing I would always look at when suggesting laptops. If you don't know which model has good exterior build quality, you need to search for reviews which is time consuming.

Thank you. 

This part I agree, about the build quality. 

I remember I asked you, which brand you suggested, but you answered it depends on the serial and model.

With that note, is there a brand you suggest to pass? 

And vice versa, a brand you suggest, despite the need to consume time by reviews.

And another thing. 

Each person will review the device differently. 

5 reviewers can give 9+ to a device, and at the same time, other 5  can give 4-

5 can say it has a really good build quality, while other 5 bad. (I am not talking about Samsung Fold, which broke in each and everyone hands XD)

Thank you again. :) 

28 minutes ago, keavlar said:

I know That, I meant like is it even will matter if you watch Netflix, Youtube. With performance. 

When you watch the youtube video, you can use the CPU for graphics performance, or drop it on the GPU, and that way you will have less RAM Usage in Chrome. But more power will be consumed when using the GPU not integrated into CPU. 

Netflix, YouTube is all about codec rather than hardware. 

2 minutes ago, bindydad123 said:

Netflix, YouTube is all about codec rather than hardware. 

Well, I agree and disagree. 

Try to run your PC with noting in background.

Then https://www.technize.net/google-chrome-disable-hardware-acceleration/

Apply the settings, run video, youtube, Netflix. see the CPU/ RAM /GPU usage. 

Then reverse. You will see the difference, and at the same time, if you have the right application, you can see the power consumption difference.  :) 

1 hour ago, GeneXiS_X said:

By the way. 

You asked before what laptop we are looking now. 

The main usage will be for study. 

The person wants it to be powerful/fast.

She probably will open many tabs in chrome, so means RAM, I always prefer 16 GB minimum. So, or 16 from start or maybe with an option to upgrade.

And I understood, battery life also important. (But I think that main use for laptop on the battery when she will be on a lection and will be typing.)

How long she wants it to run, I don't know. 

In my opinion, unless you always travel and you on the road, where you don't have the option to charge the battery, then it is important, to have a big battery, with low specs for longer battery live.

But while you study, or home, or can stop somewhere and plug the laptop in wall charger, you don't need that focus on it. 

(The touch screen not neede, I was asking for a future reference)

Thanks 

4 hours ago, keavlar said:

1. Not all people needs dGPU

2. Vega 8/11 performance is about a MX130/940MX with dual channel

3. There are many GPU models out there, therefore I will not list out all of them. You can ask for a comparison.

1. First of all, not everyone needs a touch display

2. There are 2 types of touchscreen - with and without pen support. Usually only convertibles / 2 in 1 will have pen support

3. Touchscreen can be useful in certain situations - eg student taking notes (pen), don't want to use touchpad/mouse etc

4. I heard about bad things like broken hinge, but it seems like convertibles nowadays are built better. It comes down to QC really

5. Usually touchscreen will have glossy display which might not suitable for outdoor use

1. Yes, it depends on which model. Max supported RAM also depends on model

2. 12GB - 4+8GB. Either 4GB/8GB on board+8GB/4GB in slot or 2 slots with 4+8

Fresh Windows install is always recommended by me. The key can be reactivated infinite times. However in some cases, the model might lack driver support (in other words, not all drivers can be downloaded) especially new models, therefore you might want to reconsider clean installation

Not that important since the max supported speed is usually 2666 (some can go up to 3200 like Clevo PB51). Dual channel is more important IMO.

This depends on the specs and model. Sometimes a smaller battery can outperform a bigger battery (assuming they are in the same category - eg both are Ultrabooks)

They call it Ergolift. In theory it might damage the hinge overtime, however some older HP models also have similar design and I don't see many reports on any related issue. Not a big issue IMO.

PS. In case you might be interested to suggest something: 

For Medical student.

Light, and powerful laptop, that will serve for more than 4 years. 

I thought I already provided suggestions before? Forgot what I suggested though.

3 hours ago, keavlar said:

Thanks for the care. 

You suggested me Laptops in the past. 

I kinda love researching things like that.

I help friends, a lot when getting a new PC or Laptop.

I thought I should stop asking for help, and pieces of advice, and know what to look.

Before that, I would always look for the beast Laptop, in a smaller package. 

Note that everyone will have different opinion on certain things. For instance, I look at build quality of every models while some may think that it's not important, therefore disagree.

2 hours ago, keavlar said:

I remember I asked you, which brand you suggested, but you answered it depends on the serial and model.

With that note, is there a brand you suggest to pass? 

And vice versa, a brand you suggest, despite the need to consume time by reviews.

I don't look at brand (except Razer and Apple). As long as the model is decent then I'll make it into my recommendations

Each person will review the device differently. 

5 reviewers can give 9+ to a device, and at the same time, other 5  can give 4-

5 can say it has a really good build quality, while other 5 bad.

I only look at review websites that provide professional reviews. Some websites and YT channels (don't want to mention which) do have subpar reviews. At least with my standards.

In my opinion, unless you always travel and you on the road, where you don't have the option to charge the battery, then it is important, to have a big battery, with low specs for longer battery live.

But while you study, or home, or can stop somewhere and plug the laptop in wall charger, you don't need that focus on it.

True. However long battery life is always a plus to have

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

I thought I already provided suggestions before? Forgot what I suggested though.

Yeah, For a different type of person. XD

Maybe I will find where was it and send 2 you. 

12 minutes ago, keavlar said:

Yeah, For a different type of person. XD

Create a new thread then

I hope you're satisfied with my answers above, feel free to ask any laptop related questions you have in mind

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

9 hours ago, keavlar said:

Thank you. 

Your welcome!

Thanks, but I was talking more about power usage.

Example: When watching the Youtube video, you can separate the work between GPU and CPU (in chrome at least).

Or run it only on the CPU. But with that action, you can create a more power consumption work plan. 

Well, GPUs are more efficient at handling encoding and decoding of videos, but a discreet GPU is not really necessary for that, just preferred.

So if you not planning to play, does it really matter? 

it does, but not to the point that you should buy one if you don't need/ really want one. generally speaking a discreet GPU is a want not a need, but depending on what you are studying, it may be a life saver to have a decent gpu (like 1050+) for if you come across rendering programs like for Xrays, MRIs or dealing with renders of patients for study, or VR practice,  a GPU is significantly faster at rendering than a CPU.

Yeah I am aware of that, but we all used to phones, and I am sure, everyone, from time to time wished they could use the monitor to do something. 

Like when you lie in bed and watch youtube, you prefer to touch screen to select a video you wanna watch, or scroll down, and not the touchpad. 

The second sentence does answer my question in a half. This is what interesting if the main CPU handles the Touch screen, it means that it can lower the performance for the rest of the device and application, cause it will be consuming some of its performance that way. 

Generally speaking I believe that an additional dedicated processor generally handles touch. Even if this is not the case, the impact would be about as negligible as adding a new mouse.

Cause of touchscreen, will there be a  drawback on the battery. 

Certainly, not that great of one. but you will need to constantly power an array of wires to create the proper magnetic field for the screen to work, and then the processor to power it, the impact will not be that great but it is there still the same.

Could you please elaborate? Give examples? 

Okay, a watt is a true measurement of power, as we can calculate the value of a watt by solving this equation Volts (pressure) * Amps (flow) = Watts (power)

and a 1 WHr = a 1 Watt hour or the delivery of 1 Watt for the space of an hour, thereby in new condition a 45 WHr battery can deliver 45 watts for the period of an hour under ideal conditions. Thereby if you had a 90 watt laptop running under load continuously it would exhaust the battery under ideal theoretical condition in exactly half an hour, of course there are always additional factors like the voltage conversion, lithium ion batteries produce between 3.7 and 4.2 volts in each cell depending on their charge level and laptops need exactly 5V and 12V, thereby laptops need to convert the power to the needed voltage, with this a notable amount of power is lost as heat. To give an accurate answer on which arrangement is better I would need to do more research about how laptop manufacturers set up their batteries.

Thanks again. :) Kind Stranger. 

Your welcome!

16 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Create a new thread then

I hope you're satisfied with my answers above, feel free to ask any laptop related questions you have in mind

I sent you message in private if it's ok?!