Western Digital WD Red Pro vs Red

nox_
Go to solution Solved by dfsdfgfkjsefoiqzemnd,

The Red Pro drives are much less sensitive to vibrations, which will occur if you add more drives to the same enclosure. 

The rule of thumb :

- 8 drives or less : Red

- More than 8 drives : Red Pro

For what it's worth: I have eight of the 4TB Reds in my own NAS.  The NAS is on almost 24/7. 

Next month the drives will be 4 years old and I've had 0 issues with them so far. 

I'm building a NAS and considering should I pay extra for the Red Pro version? The additional price is not that significant, but I will be getting 6+ of them, and it adds up, and become pretty big number. So are they worth it? I have the money for pro version, but don't want to waste that money. Any opinions would be appreciated, but would mostly like to get opinions based on something. 

The Red Pro drives are much less sensitive to vibrations, which will occur if you add more drives to the same enclosure. 

The rule of thumb :

- 8 drives or less : Red

- More than 8 drives : Red Pro

For what it's worth: I have eight of the 4TB Reds in my own NAS.  The NAS is on almost 24/7. 

Next month the drives will be 4 years old and I've had 0 issues with them so far. 

On 5/13/2019 at 11:27 AM, noxdeouroboros said:

I'm building a NAS and considering should I pay extra for the Red Pro version? The additional price is not that significant, but I will be getting 6+ of them, and it adds up, and become pretty big number. So are they worth it? I have the money for pro version, but don't want to waste that money. Any opinions would be appreciated, but would mostly like to get opinions based on something. 

I'd say you're probably fine with the regular Reds, especially if you're installing under 9 of them.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)