Best smartwatch to pair with an Android phone?

Go to solution Solved by Commodus,
14 hours ago, RelentlessN7 said:

I've tried to search this question, but I'm just getting more confused. Apparently there's a difference between an "Android Smartwatch" and a "Smartwatch for Android"?

I can't seem to get a clear answer for anything. I haven't owned a smartwatch before, but I'm interested in getting one. I currently have a Galaxy S8 phone, so what would be a good choice to pair with this phone? 

Also price isn't an issue. I'll consider anything if it's a quality product.

I'll clarify before providing a recommendation.

Many smartwatches work with Android, even if they don't run Android.  Samsung's watches run an OS called Tizen, for example.  However, Google also has its own Android-based platform for smartwatches, known as Wear OS.  While it works best on Android, you can actually use a Wear OS watch with an iPhone as long as you're willing to accept certain limitations.

If you expect to keep using Samsung phones, the Galaxy Watch or Galaxy Watch Active is your best bet for both the tight integration and some good design choices.  If not that, it depends on what your goals are.  The Fitbit Versa is a good choice if you're mainly interested in fitness tracking.  You have quite a few choices if you want to try Wear OS, although I'd lean toward newer Fossil group watches like the Skagen Falster 2.

I've tried to search this question, but I'm just getting more confused. Apparently there's a difference between an "Android Smartwatch" and a "Smartwatch for Android"?

I can't seem to get a clear answer for anything. I haven't owned a smartwatch before, but I'm interested in getting one. I currently have a Galaxy S8 phone, so what would be a good choice to pair with this phone? 

I've done a lot of review hunting and had almost settled on the samsung galaxy watch until reading that it didn't play super nice with non samsung phones and uses their own os and app store.

I saw a review of the Withings/Nokia | Steel HR Sport Smartwatchon hardwarecanucks and it seemed to avoid a lot of the issues I have with smartwatches at the moment, namely battery life and early generation buginess. The new wearos versions seem to fix a lot of that but it seems like thats all waiting on a bunch of as of yet unannounced watches to really take off.

Considering you have a Samsung, you might as well try a Samsung smartwatch for optimisation's sake.

I personally use a Moto 360 Gen 2 smartwatch paired with my iPhone 8 Plus, I used to have a Nexus 5X and that's why I own an Android smartwatch. It gets stellar battery life even after 2-3 years of owning the thing, and it's running Android Wear 2.0 which is great.

I got mine for £190 brand new so I can only assume the price has plumetted since then.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

14 hours ago, RelentlessN7 said:

Many smartwatches work with Android, even if they don't run Android.  Samsung's watches run an OS called Tizen, for example.  However, Google also has its own Android-based platform for smartwatches, known as Wear OS.  While it works best on Android, you can actually use a Wear OS watch with an iPhone as long as you're willing to accept certain limitations.

If you expect to keep using Samsung phones, the Galaxy Watch or Galaxy Watch Active is your best bet for both the tight integration and some good design choices.  If not that, it depends on what your goals are.  The Fitbit Versa is a good choice if you're mainly interested in fitness tracking.  You have quite a few choices if you want to try Wear OS, although I'd lean toward newer Fossil group watches like the Skagen Falster 2.

10 hours ago, Commodus said:

I just mostly want a Smartwatch for convenience sake. And I am a fan of Samsung phones. I hope to get a Note in the future, so I guess I'll be picking up one of the Galaxy watches. Thanks!

16 minutes ago, RelentlessN7 said:

I just mostly want a Smartwatch for convenience sake. And I am a fan of Samsung phones. I hope to get a Note in the future, so I guess I'll be picking up one of the Galaxy watches. Thanks!

Welcome -- a Galaxy Watch variant should fit the bill nicely in that case.  I'd go with the main watch for the rotating bezel, but the Active is dandy if price or size are more important.