SSD + HDD vs. SSD

Go to solution Solved by badreg,

A 120GB NVMe SSD is likely not going to be faster than a 1TB SATA one, so unless you need more than 1TB of storage now, go with a single drive.

Hello everyone,

So I've been planning a new build and came across a conundrum about storage. I was originally gonna go for an M.2 NVME 120gb boot drive and a 2TB HDD for mass storage. Now, however, after I’ve had two HDDs kick the bucket in recent months, I think I’ll go for a 1TB SATA SSD instead.

But the question is, should I get the 120gb M.2 for boot still, or is it better just to go with a single 1TB SDD for both boot and apps?

Also, what are your general thoughts on having a dedicated boot drive as opposed to a single storage device?

A 120GB NVMe SSD is likely not going to be faster than a 1TB SATA one, so unless you need more than 1TB of storage now, go with a single drive.

12 minutes ago, badreg said:

So there is realisticaslly no real advantage to having multiple drives? Or rather, no advantage in having a dedicated boot drive?

4 minutes ago, PatchFact said:

So there is realisticaslly no real advantage to having multiple drives? Or rather, no advantage in having a dedicated boot drive?

What gives you the impression that a dedicated boot drive would provide an advantage? With HDDs, random IO performance is affected by where files live physically on the disk, but this is not the case with SSDs.

5 minutes ago, badreg said:

What gives you the impression that a dedicated boot drive would provide an advantage? With HDDs, random IO performance is affected by where files live physically on the disk, but this is not the case with SSDs.

Honestly, I thought it was a matter of housekeeping, and I guess in case of the storage drive failing. It makes sense to me that you wouldn't need a dedicated boot drive if you are going full SSD but I thought of asking to avoid a silly mistake. Anyway, thanks for the help.