Question for the custom loop guys

Seems like leaks and or pump failure are the two biggest issues that plague custom loops, so do you guys leave your computers powered on through out the day or only when you are going to be using them. Leave them on throughout the night?

Once your loop is built and tested leak free you can leave it running 24/7 if you choose. The only consideration is maintenance which SHOULD be done every 12 months however when I had my loop I used to do it every 24 months and Jay has gone on record as leaving loops for years with no ill effects.

Maintenance involves stripping the loop down entirely, cleaning the rad out with something usually acidic or alkaline, cleaning the pump out, cleaning the block out and preferably changing the tubes (assuming you have soft tubing). Its REALLY important to do it if your running a coloured fluid or a show fluid, not so much if you run clear and you can get kits that you mix with water and put into the loop (after draining the old fluid out) to clean everything without the need to strip everything down.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

10 hours ago, Ravendarat said:

Seems like leaks and or pump failure are the two biggest issues that plague custom loops, so do you guys leave your computers powered on through out the day or only when you are going to be using them. Leave them on throughout the night?

My PC is in use at least 8 hours a day but I leave it off during the night or per-longed periods if I am not using it. Leaks are fairly uncommon, once built and proper leak tested the likehood of it occurring is pretty low. Main thing is maintaining seals and ensuring everything is pliable and hasn't stiffened from age. 

I use mayhem pastel white and I only have my computer on for about 6 hours a day and sometimes I wont turn it on for a few days and it's fine. But for extended vacations I give my computer to my friend and just tell him to turn it on for a bit every day. When I had ek clear cryofuel I never really had to worry about anything since there was nothing to keep suspended in the liquid. If you have a clear fluid then you pretty much don't have to worry about anything except yearly or so maintenance.

I tend to build mine properly. But while learning I made mistakes which has helped me get to the point where leaks aren’t an issue. Never had a pump die yet. 

But just doing the fittings properly are what matter. Don’t need fancy compression fittings but they are a good bandaid for newbies. Then just double checking stuff. 

It I leave a few of my rigs on over night, just depends on what I’m doing. Mining or rendering projects or converting music. Isn’t a concern for me as a leak won’t cause much for me. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Mine stays running 24/7.

While leaks seem scary, in actuality, if something is going to leak, you're going to catch it during a leak test. They're generally caused by bad fittings or user error when connecting fittings etc. If you do a leak test and have no leaks, then your chances of leaks after that point is astronomically low.  I mean think about it, how often do you read horror stories about peoples loops leaking and killing components? Not very often. And when you do, it's generally because of something that person did that they shouldn't have. 

As for pump failure, I have 2 pumps so I'm not worried about it, though I wouldn't be worried about it anyway. With no water flow at idle, a stationary loop is still going to be enough to keep them from getting dangerously hot. Under load, you will figure out something is wrong pretty quickly because your CPU/GPU will throttle, but this isn't going to hurt anything. 

These answers were all very helpful, thanks guys. I started ordering some parts already but some of my stuff is backordered so I have a few weeks to think about this. I more just wanted to find out if it was something to be really worried about. I remember watching Bitwit's video about hotlines 1 demise

On 5/12/2019 at 10:03 AM, Ravendarat said:

have screenshots of my pc running for over 200hrs somewhere, the pump will give you plenty warning before it fails, the bearing on a D5 will be noisy as all hell before it stops in my experience with them. Can't comment on other pumps, I use a bicycle pump and pressure gauge to test my loop for leaks before coolant goes anywhere near the pc, this means I don't have to worry about leaking coolant when its on, also its a lot faster to find a leak prior to filling.

2 hours ago, Benjeh said:

have screenshots of my pc running for over 200hrs somewhere, the pump will give you plenty warning before it fails, the bearing on a D5 will be noisy as all hell before it stops in my experience with them. Can't comment on other pumps, I use a bicycle pump and pressure gauge to test my loop for leaks before coolant goes anywhere near the pc, this means I don't have to worry about leaking coolant when its on, also its a lot faster to find a leak prior to filling.

I have an Aquacomputer Dr Drop for dry testing loops. Here's a thread to make your own.

@Ravendarat - I normally turn off my computer at night but I have been known to leave it on for 48 hours or more at times without any concern.

Im happy to hear about all of this. Im doing my majority order middle of next month at the latest for all my WC gear and am getting pretty excited about the entire process, seems like its gonna be a fun time