I ( well Snazzy Labs not me) Built a HUGE 336TB Server Without Linus Tech Tips!

Snazzy labs seems to be sending up some of LTT's videos with this video from the thumbnail onward.  ?

The long and the short of it is that they have so much video they have to have a purpose built server for it.   All server grade hardware.  Basically built around an older HP proliant and mounted in one of those ... rolling office space looking desk side server things (don't know the technical word.) 

The most interesting part to me.  Is that his server has to many spinning HDD's that in theory it will saturate his network connection.   So no SSD needed.  

His thumbnail mug looks like a berserk viking.   (If it wasn't clear enough I am not in any way affiliated with Snazzy labs I just noticed their video.) 

Cool to see Wendell help him out with setup (I swear Wendell is YouTube's tech wizard at this point) and Seagate providing the drives. The title and thumbnail are definitely a fun jab at Linus as well.

@SnazzyLabs  The clip from one of your old iPhone case reviews was a huge throwback lol. I remember coming home from high school just to watch your videos before you went on the mission to Bolivia. Those were the days :D 

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

336/14 = 24 drives

you could do that easily with a couple SAS cards, and a 4U storage rack

meh...a threadripper board with an 8 core threadripper and a ton of ddr4 ecc ...

8 port cards are 80$ each ... lsi logic hba ... so shove 5-6 such cards in the pci-e slots and you have 40-48 sata ports , plus the sata ports on mb plus m.2

or spend ~1000$  for a 40 port highpoint rocket 750 plus cables 

did they really need a 48 port 10gbps switch for ~ 500$? doubt it...

10 minutes ago, TheSLSAMG said:

Cool to see Wendell help him out with setup (I swear Wendell is YouTube's tech wizard at this point) and Seagate providing the drives. The title and thumbnail are definitely a fun jab at Linus as well.

Linus just looks more .... non threatening yet not unmanly  in his.  Ya know. 

8 minutes ago, mariushm said:

meh...a threadripper board with an 8 core threadripper and a ton of ddr4 ecc ...

8 port cards are 80$ each ... lsi logic hba ... so shove 5-6 such cards in the pci-e slots and you have 40-48 sata ports , plus the sata ports on mb plus m.2

or spend ~1000$  for a 40 port highpoint rocket 750 plus cables 

did they really need a 48 port 10gbps switch for ~ 500$? doubt it...

Maybe SnazzyLabs is looking to expand in future.  It does mean they could directly network that server with any number of computers they'll ever possibly have.   You know "future proof".