New build performing worse than my old build! (FIXED!!)

(EDIT) I reinstalled Windows 10 & everything is working perfectly fine now! Thank you amazing people for all the help!  

After spending about 900 euro (about 1000 USD)  on new components to upgrade my 4-5 year old rig, I was met with a shitty surprise when i benchmarked my system & also the new CPU is working (much)harder than it should. Also opening tabs is a bit laggy & dragging anything around the desktop lags as if my CPU is from 2010. How the f**k is this possible ? It did however give me a better FPS rating on BF5, so i have no idea what's going on. It does feel like it has something to do with the CPU, but i have no idea. Any idea how i can fix this ? 

NOTE: Even dragging tabs across the desktop result in lag & the CPU usage goes easily over 50%, FROM JUST DRAGGING TABS AROUND. 

Old rig:
CPU: intel i7 4790k
RAM: DDR3 1600mHz Corsair Vengence (2x8, 16gb total) (old af)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A
GPU: GTX 1080 ti MSI Gaming X

New rig: (this is the rig i have the problem with)
CPU: intel i7 9700k
RAM: DDR4 3200 mHz Corsair Vengence (2x16, 32 gb total)
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC 
GPU: GTX 1080 ti MSI Gaming X
(I kept the same GPU) 

UNIGINE Valley Benchmark results;
Old rig: 90,3 average FPS
New rig: 87,9 average FPS
Benchmark settings: Ultra quality (everything set on absolut max)
Resolution: 2560×1440p 

Now how on earth could i possibly be getting LOWER benchmark results & generally bad performance from my new rig (compared to my old rig) ? Do i need to download some special drivers? Do i need to change something in my BIOS ? 

can you post the xmp profile stuff?

what drives in both?

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

This is with standard settings.... bios everything auto/preset ? no gpu oc etc

yeah do a fresh install if you havent, cant just swap 90% of your hardware without having some problems with windows. In the old days windows wouldn't even try to work, now it probably just limps along. 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

reset bios. 

check if xmp is enabled

check if turbo boost is turned on

check which slots ram is in (should be alternating slots unless specified by user manual of mobo)

check windows update

new or old windows installation?

what drive/storage?

10 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

Did you do a fresh install of windows?

I haven't, is it needed to get best performance ? I have windows 10, had it for a few years

3 minutes ago, Saksham said:

reset bios. 

check if xmp is enabled

check if turbo boost is turned on

check which slots ram is in (should be alternating slots unless specified by user manual of mobo)

check windows update

new or old windows installation?

what drive/storage?

XMP is enabled, turbo boost isn't (do i really need it to move around something as simple as one single tab without it lagging out? I generally don't know, but i'd be surprised if i do need it). RAM are installed in a dual-channel  config. OS is windows 10 which i've had for a few years (i haven't reinstalled it for this new build). OS is installed on one of my SSD.

7 minutes ago, AntiTrust said:

yeah do a fresh install if you havent, cant just swap 90% of your hardware without having some problems with windows. In the old days windows wouldn't even try to work, now it probably just limps along. 

I suppose so! I'll reinstall the OS then, hopefully it will work :)

30 minutes ago, will1432 said:

can you post the xmp profile stuff?

what drives in both?

XMP is enabled in BIOS, only thing i didn't enable was the Turbo Boost 

1 minute ago, SneakyChippy said:

I suppose so! I'll reinstall the OS then, hopefully it will work :)

right on, Im pretty sure thats whats causing the problem. If you don't have a Solid State hard drive I would STRONGLY recommend you get one for your fresh install of windows. They will make a huge difference for general snappyness in your new rig. 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

29 minutes ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

This is with standard settings.... bios everything auto/preset ? no gpu oc etc

Yeah everything was with standard setting except from the XMP, i enabled that in the BIOS, but it didn't help

1 minute ago, AntiTrust said:

right on, Im pretty sure thats whats causing the problem. If you don't have a Solid State hard drive I would STRONGLY recommend you get one for your fresh install of windows. They will make a huge difference for general snappyness in your new rig. 

I really hope so sir! If the reinstall doesn't help, then i'm screwed. I have the OS installed on a SSD already, although i have been thinking of getting an M.2 SSD specifically for OS. My OS is on a standard SSD atm :)

6 minutes ago, SneakyChippy said:

I really hope so sir! If the reinstall doesn't help, then i'm screwed. I have the OS installed on a SSD already, although i have been thinking of getting an M.2 SSD specifically for OS. My OS is on a standard SSD atm :)

I put my OS on an m.2 pcie SSD and it seems pretty quick and snappy, but a regular SSD is still great. The improvement from disk hard drive to SSD is a massive improvement, going from a regular SSD to a pcie SSD is a very marginal improvement. Well hopefully the reinstall works for you, good luck! 

why the hell would you ever want to disable turbo boost?

litterally no reason. you are locking your cpu to base clock!!!!!

you dont need it to drag tabs around but try and enable it. 

also, its probably just a weird bug in the windows OS. when you make significant hardware changes you need to reinstall

There's a lot to cover here. Firstly, the Valley results are about correct. I also have the 9700K and the 1080 Ti and when running max settings at 1440p, I get 89.4 FPS. Now, your two results between your two systems are actually functionally the same since ~2 FPS is within margin of error. The reason there isn't a difference in Valley between the two systems is because Valley is very much a GPU-bound test. The differences between CPUs like the 4790K and the 9700K are not reflected in such a test.

Secondly, disabling turbo boost, in this case, makes your new CPU equal to or actually worse than the 4790K in a lot of gaming loads. Most games still prefer more frequency than anything else. The IPC gains from Haswell to Skylake were roughly 10% at most, and the architecture hasn't changed much since then. So your 4790K was running at a stock frequency of 4.0 GHz (did you disable turbo on that one too? If not, it was actually running at 4.4GHz!) and your new CPU is running at a stock frequency of 3.6 GHz. So in fact, your new CPU is running exactly the same as your old one! The IPC gains are negated by the frequency loss (and again, if you had turbo on with your 4790K it actually means the 9700K is performing worse than it in most gaming loads). Now, if you leave turbo on, it means 4.6GHz in gaming loads. That would be a GAIN of ~24% (or 14% if turbo was enabled on the 4790K, maybe closer to 16% in real world scenarios, though) instead of a break-even or loss scenario.

You also haven't mentioned your CPU cooler or your temps. It is indeed still odd that there is sluggishness in Windows, and it COULD be the installation. Everyone will be quick to tell you to do a fresh install, but if you do know what you're doing you can have the same install for a decade (like me). My install has not been freshly installed since Windows 7 (it's been upgraded to 8 and then 10). It's gone through 4 complete rebuilds hardware-wise. Given, I do use CCleaner and the likes to clean the registry, and I do uninstall irrelevant drivers and chipset .inf files, but nothing too crazy.

That being said, the next culprit could be temps. It could be a poorly seated cooler. Although, that doesn't exactly explain jumps to 50% usage. My 9700K does spike when dragging tabs around (as do most CPUs) but only to ~40% for me, with no sluggish feeling. At idle it sits around 4% usage.

10 hours ago, jerubedo said:

There's a lot to cover here. Firstly, the Valley results are about correct. I also have the 9700K and the 1080 Ti and when running max settings at 1440p, I get 89.4 FPS. Now, your two results between your two systems are actually functionally the same since ~2 FPS is within margin of error. The reason there isn't a difference in Valley between the two systems is because Valley is very much a GPU-bound test. The differences between CPUs like the 4790K and the 9700K are not reflected in such a test.

Secondly, disabling turbo boost, in this case, makes your new CPU equal to or actually worse than the 4790K in a lot of gaming loads. Most games still prefer more frequency than anything else. The IPC gains from Haswell to Skylake were roughly 10% at most, and the architecture hasn't changed much since then. So your 4790K was running at a stock frequency of 4.0 GHz (did you disable turbo on that one too? If not, it was actually running at 4.4GHz!) and your new CPU is running at a stock frequency of 3.6 GHz. So in fact, your new CPU is running exactly the same as your old one! The IPC gains are negated by the frequency loss (and again, if you had turbo on with your 4790K it actually means the 9700K is performing worse than it in most gaming loads). Now, if you leave turbo on, it means 4.6GHz in gaming loads. That would be a GAIN of ~24% (or 14% if turbo was enabled on the 4790K, maybe closer to 16% in real world scenarios, though) instead of a break-even or loss scenario.

You also haven't mentioned your CPU cooler or your temps. It is indeed still odd that there is sluggishness in Windows, and it COULD be the installation. Everyone will be quick to tell you to do a fresh install, but if you do know what you're doing you can have the same install for a decade (like me). My install has not been freshly installed since Windows 7 (it's been upgraded to 8 and then 10). It's gone through 4 complete rebuilds hardware-wise. Given, I do use CCleaner and the likes to clean the registry, and I do uninstall irrelevant drivers and chipset .inf files, but nothing too crazy.

That being said, the next culprit could be temps. It could be a poorly seated cooler. Although, that doesn't exactly explain jumps to 50% usage. My 9700K does spike when dragging tabs around (as do most CPUs) but only to ~40% for me, with no sluggish feeling. At idle it sits around 4% usage.

I thought so aswell, that Valley was more GPU bound, but was still stunned that it performed worse with components that would atleast make it 2-3 % higher avg framerate, and not the other way around :/ I checked my CPU temps and they were good, at most 62 C, i figured it can't be the cooler (i applied liquid metal instead of thermal paste, so i did worry about doing it wrong since i've never attempted this before). I also do regular "clean-ups" of my PC every 4 months to make sure everything is fine (i use CCleaner every two weeks or so though).

After reinstalling windows 10, everything is working good now !! Phew.. no more lagging or stuttering! :) Haven't done any benchmarking yet, but the PC is overall working perfectly fine now

13 hours ago, Saksham said:

why the hell would you ever want to disable turbo boost?

litterally no reason. you are locking your cpu to base clock!!!!!

you dont need it to drag tabs around but try and enable it. 

also, its probably just a weird bug in the windows OS. when you make significant hardware changes you need to reinstall

I believe i meant something else, there was an option to turn ON "turbo" (not sure exactly what it was, but when i turned it on, my fans went to 100% so i turned it off) in the BIOS. My CPU went to nearly 5 ghz during gaming, so i didn't do any changes to the CPU :)