New RX580 BSOD making me want to cry

eth_jones

Hi guys,

So I recently took the plunge and decided to upgrade from my GTX 1050 (never had any issues with it, just wanted to upgrade) to an RX580. I also bought a new PSU that could power the new GPU.

Last night I installed the new components, then tried to install the drivers. Whilst browsing the AMD website though, my display turned off. The PC was still running, but no display was being given. At this point the DVI cable was in the GPU, so I rebooted from the on board graphics to install the driver. Long story short, after installing the driver (multiple versions), my PC will not boot at all from the GPU. Sometimes, it will boot to where you would expect the login page to come up, and then the screen will just go black, and I will have to reboot.

But more often than not, I will get the BSOD saying that VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE caused the problem and atikmpag.sys is faulty?

I am confident that this is a driver problem, does this sound like I am correct? I have also reset windows, but it's still happening. 

Please, if there any further troubleshooting steps I should take, or if you have any suggestions that you think might work, please let me know. I'm close to giving up here. I have been at this all night, and it's now 6.30am.

Thanks guys

[edit: should also note that when plugged into the GPU I can boot into Safe mode without any issues. Should also add that I've uninstalled all Nvidi drivers from the PC and installed versions of the right driver from ASUS and AMD]

CPU: i5-4690K @ 3.5GHz || MoBo: Asus H81M-C || RAM: 16gb Kingston HyperX Blue || Cooler: Stock intel cooler || GPU: Palit GTX 1050 || PSU: Can't remember exactly but know it meets the needs of my components || Case: White Falcon Case || SSD: Kingston 120GB || Storage: WD Blue 1TB

Your drivers might be corrupted. Uninstall the current GPU drivers using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) then install the newest drivers from AMD's website.

Try DDU and if it fails fresh install the windows. (it fixed mine) 

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

@XR6 @Hiya!

Thanks for the quick response guys. I have ran DDU and it's booted up straight away from the GPU. The drivers aren't installed yet, but I will install them now. Would you definitely recommend the drivers from the AMD site, what about the ASUS site?

CPU: i5-4690K @ 3.5GHz || MoBo: Asus H81M-C || RAM: 16gb Kingston HyperX Blue || Cooler: Stock intel cooler || GPU: Palit GTX 1050 || PSU: Can't remember exactly but know it meets the needs of my components || Case: White Falcon Case || SSD: Kingston 120GB || Storage: WD Blue 1TB

2 minutes ago, eth_jones said:

@XR6 @Hiya!

Thanks for the quick response guys. I have ran DDU and it's booted up straight away from the GPU. The drivers aren't installed yet, but I will install them now. Would you definitely recommend the drivers from the AMD site, what about the ASUS site?

Yeah, it's best if you get the drivers from the AMD site, that way you'll get the newest drivers.

11 minutes ago, XR6 said:

Yeah, it's best if you get the drivers from the AMD site, that way you'll get the newest drivers.

I have just gone to the AMD website, used the 'Auto-detect and install' option, and halfway through the install, it's blue screened, with the same error message as described above!

I will try the driver from the ASUS site and just see what happens

Unfortunately @XR6, neither set of drivers have worked. The PC just continues to  Blue Screen

37 minutes ago, eth_jones said:

Unfortunately @XR6, neither set of drivers have worked. The PC just continues to  Blue Screen

Try download older version of amd driver. 

If you're out of option try to re install the windows.. Do fresh install with Local C completely formatted. 

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

Just now, Hiya! said:

Try download older version of amd driver. 

If you're out of option try to re install the windows.. Do fresh install with Local C completely formatted. 

I have treid so many different versions of the driver now haha. Let me try formatting C and reinstalling

Just now, eth_jones said:

I have treid so many different versions of the driver now haha. Let me try formatting C and reinstalling

It's a brand new card right? Not used? 

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

1 minute ago, Hiya! said:

It's a brand new card right? Not used? 

I think it was 2nd hand. But it seems to work okay... until I install any sort of driver

3 minutes ago, eth_jones said:

I think it was 2nd hand. But it seems to work okay... until I install any sort of driver

I see.. The previous owner might use it for mining. 

Try to download and install this https://forum.bitcoin.com/mining-software/atikmdag-patcher-1-4-7-t71316.html

Then use it.. After that install the driver from amd website. 

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

9 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

Try to download and install this https://forum.bitcoin.com/mining-software/atikmdag-patcher-1-4-7-t71316.html

Would make sense I guess... I got it from eBay and the seller had 4 'in stock'. Well I have found a spare SSD so I'm putting windows on that to see if it works on there, if it does, I will wipe my SSD and do it on there. Will let you know how I get on!

2 hours ago, Hiya! said:

Hi again, unfortunately the file that I download from that link doesn't seem to run, do you know if there is anywhere else I could get it from please?

1 hour ago, eth_jones said:

Hi again, unfortunately the file that I download from that link doesn't seem to run, do you know if there is anywhere else I could get it from please?

Why is that? Have you turn off the anti virus or windows defender? Turn it off ot else it will read the files as false positive. 

The tool is called atmdag patcher.. Just Google it you won't miss it. 

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

22 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

Why is that? Have you turn off the anti virus or windows defender? Turn it off ot else it will read the files as false positive. 

The tool is called atmdag patcher.. Just Google it you won't miss it. 

Thanks a lot. I have tried that but unfortunately didnt work. I have a colleague who runs an rx580 in his system so we swapped cards. Guess what.... my system then worked perfectly and his had all the same problems. I have contacted the seller on eBay. 

Thanks so much for helping me diagnose the actual problem, I will keep you posted as to how the seller responds. 

Cheers

1 hour ago, eth_jones said:

Thanks a lot. I have tried that but unfortunately didnt work. I have a colleague who runs an rx580 in his system so we swapped cards. Guess what.... my system then worked perfectly and his had all the same problems. I have contacted the seller on eBay. 

Thanks so much for helping me diagnose the actual problem, I will keep you posted as to how the seller responds. 

Cheers

The last resort is changing the bios on it. I have done like 30 time son my rx480 so its safe :)

13 hours ago, eth_jones said:

Hi guys,

So I recently took the plunge and decided to upgrade from my GTX 1050 (never had any issues with it, just wanted to upgrade) to an RX580. I also bought a new PSU that could power the new GPU.

Last night I installed the new components, then tried to install the drivers. Whilst browsing the AMD website though, my display turned off. The PC was still running, but no display was being given. At this point the DVI cable was in the GPU, so I rebooted from the on board graphics to install the driver. Long story short, after installing the driver (multiple versions), my PC will not boot at all from the GPU. Sometimes, it will boot to where you would expect the login page to come up, and then the screen will just go black, and I will have to reboot.

But more often than not, I will get the BSOD saying that VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE caused the problem and atikmpag.sys is faulty?

I am confident that this is a driver problem, does this sound like I am correct? I have also reset windows, but it's still happening. 

Please, if there any further troubleshooting steps I should take, or if you have any suggestions that you think might work, please let me know. I'm close to giving up here. I have been at this all night, and it's now 6.30am.

Thanks guys

[edit: should also note that when plugged into the GPU I can boot into Safe mode without any issues. Should also add that I've uninstalled all Nvidi drivers from the PC and installed versions of the right driver from ASUS and AMD]

do you mind linking the seller?

also it might not work but do you have the latest bios update? google search to see if anyone have problems with pcie 16 slots on your current bios.

my current home setup:cpu:amd ryzen 2700 // cpu cooler :aigo 120mm aio // mobo:gigabyte ab350-gaming 3 // ram:crosair vengance 8*4 // gpu:amd rx 5700 //

tower:antec p8 // psu:antec HCG 650w.

my current work setup: cpu:intel xeon x5675 // cpu cooler :generic 6 copper pipe // mobo: x58 lga 1366 chines motherboard // ram: 32GB ecc // gpu:amd r7 260x //                    

psu:antec 550w.

my current home server setup:cpu:intel xeon x5690 // cpu cooler :aigo 120mm aio // mobo: x58 lga 1366 chines motherboard // ram:crucial 8*2 // gpu:amd rx 580 //

tower:antec p110 silent // psu:antec HCG 850w.

If you haven't already: DDU the drivers w/an older one installed, then have it shutdown, instead of restart; then unplug your internet and boot up.  Afterwards, install from the download and try that, so it doesn't auto-install some drivers and it'll be a completely fresh install w/out packing on top of a auto-driver install from Windows OS.

Primary

CPU:      i9-10900k 3.7-5.3GHz (10th gen)

GPU:      EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming 12gb

MB:         ASUS RoG Maximus XIII Hero (ATX)

RAM:      64gb (4x16) DDR4-3200MHz G.Skill TridentZ Silver/Black (CL16)

HD:         1x 8TB Corsair MP400 NVMe PCIe 3.0 (SSD)

2x 16TB Seagate Exos 7200rpm (HDD)

E-HD:     12TB WD

PSU:       EVGA 1000w G2, 80+ Gold (modular)

UPS:       900w CyberPower

Display:   ASUS 27” 1440p/270Hz IPS 0.5ms (XG27AQM)

Aorus 27" 1440p/165Hz IPS 1ms (FI27Q-P) iGPU

KeyB:      EVGA Z15 (wired)

Mouse:    Logitech G-502 Hero (400/600/800/1000)

Headset: JBL Quantum ONE Gaming Headset

Case:      Cooler Master MasterCase H500P Mesh (ATX)

Other:     XB-1 Wireless Controller Adapter w/Controller

NPET H01 Gaming Mouse Bungee Cord Holder w/4 USB Ports

Gaming Computer Specs.pdf

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 1:22 PM, Xkillerpn said:

The last resort is changing the bios on it. I have done like 30 time son my rx480 so its safe :)

How do you do that? The thing is that now the PC just crashes with the card just in it! Even if I have my display running through the integrated graphics, and the card just there redundant, the PC still crashes after logon.

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 7:45 PM, aBattleBorn said:

do you mind linking the seller?

also it might not work but do you have the latest bios update? google search to see if anyone have problems with pcie 16 slots on your current bios.

Of course! Here you go: https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/home4living?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

It has taken him a few days but he has finally come back to me just telling me to send it back. In my message to him I asked him to send me a new card or a free postage label so I guess he has done what I have asked. I still want to try and get this fixed though just so I have the experience for if it ever happens again. And yes, I have the latest BIOS. I have an ASUS H81M-C so it hasn't actually had an update for a couple years now. Not sure that has anything to do with it though as like I said above, my friends card (a newer card) worked fine the other day.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 5:52 AM, Taintedmind said:

If you haven't already: DDU the drivers w/an older one installed, then have it shutdown, instead of restart; then unplug your internet and boot up.  Afterwards, install from the download and try that, so it doesn't auto-install some drivers and it'll be a completely fresh install w/out packing on top of a auto-driver install from Windows OS.

I did already try that, but thank you for your help anyway!