Game Stuttering in all games.

Go to solution Solved by aka John Caesar,
On 5/12/2019 at 5:03 AM, aka John Caesar said:

SOLVED

After everything the only way I was able to fix this GPU issue was with a complete whipe of the system and reinstall.

Not ideal at all and still didn't find out what caused the issue. But its fixed! 

Hi guys hoping you can help me trouble shoot a new issue I've been having whilst playing games. I can only describe it as a stutter or a jitter with some momentary freezes here and there. 

I have tried alsorts of things to remedy this and still it persists. I had recently over clocked my CPU and GPU, however the system did appear stable.

Here are my system specs,

Monitor Dell 27'' 1440p, refresh rates 60, 144 and 155oc. have it set at 144 in the Nvidia contol panel

CPU Ryzen 7 2700X

GPU Gigabyte GTX G1 1080

RAM 16GB (2x8) Dual Channel 3200mhz G.Skill DDR4 RGB

MOBO ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming

STORAGE 256GB SAMSUNG 970 NVME M.2 SSD

1TB + 3TB SEAGATE Barracuda 7200RPM

PSU Coolermaster Watt Master 750W 85+ Gold Rating

Water Cooled System, GPU Air Cooled

Things I've tried,

Reset overclocks to to default

Overclocked only GPU

Overclocked only CPU

Reset to default again

Uninstalled and reinstalled game

Reinstalled Nvidia Latest Driver

Checked health of HDD

Stopped background processes not needed

Cleaned out the system

Ran Defrag

Changed power options for pefermance

Installled game on SSD instead

System is well within thermal limits

Reduced in game settings to medium

Reduced Resolution

Set games to only 60fps, with lower settings also.

So as you can see i've tried alsorts and the problem continues, my GPU is using just about 100% regardless of settings quality with/out overclocks. I made a little video with 3 games where I hope you can see what I am seeing, more noticable on the first 2 games. On GTA 5 it doesn't appear as noticable.

Lastly you will see that my CPU usage is low.

Thanks in advance guys, hopefully I can get this resolved and start enjoying games again.

When did this problem present itself? after a windows 10 update? after windows install? I recommend trying older nvidia drivers or if that does not work just reinstalling windows. Reinstalling windows fixes almost any problem you cant fix.

Current main PC:

CPU: R7 5800x (PBO undervolted)

GPU: 7900XT

RAM: 32gb Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz

MOBO: Asus ROG B550 F Gaming Wifi

CASE: Xtia Xproto ATX

Server PC:

CPU: Xeon X5690

GPU: R9 Fury X

RAM: Assorted 4gb sticks (24gb total)

MOBO: Asus Sabretooth X58

CASE: Alienware Area 51 ALX

somethings bottlenecking your gpu. It could be damage related, but i'm guessing its a driver issue. did you DDU your old nvidia drivers before installing the new one?

34 minutes ago, Terabyte_272 said:

When did this problem present itself? after a windows 10 update? after windows install? I recommend trying older nvidia drivers or if that does not work just reinstalling windows. Reinstalling windows fixes almost any problem you cant fix.

It started a few nights ago, it was fine up until then, havn't had a windows os update for a while. I want to make sure everything else is covered before re-installing windows because it will delete all my programs and apps. even though I can keep files, I got a lot of stuff to re-install.

34 minutes ago, Derrk said:

somethings bottlenecking your gpu. It could be damage related, but i'm guessing its a driver issue. did you DDU your old nvidia drivers before installing the new one?

With the constant high usage? I had thought about bottlenecking, but it was my understanding that a somewhat of a bottleneck on a GPU is desirable? Though like I mentioned, settings and resolution have been turned down, wouldn't that eliviate a GPU bottleneck? and no i haven;t done DDU, do you mean to uninstall GeForce Experience and reinstall or roll back to an earlier driver version?

4 minutes ago, aka John Caesar said:

With the constant high usage? I had thought about bottlenecking, but it was my understanding that a somewhat of a bottleneck on a GPU is desirable? Though like I mentioned, settings and resolution have been turned down, wouldn't that eliviate a GPU bottleneck? and no i haven;t done DDU, do you mean to uninstall GeForce Experience and reinstall or roll back to an earlier driver version?

neither bottleneck is desirable, if your gpu is bottlenecked that means it can't produce frames that the cpu needs which will cause frame drops and stuttering. GTA seemed to have a good cpu/gpu usage and i didn't really notice any stuttering on it. It seems especially odd to me that AC has your gpu pegged in the 90% range but low cpu usage. Typically AC is a cpu killer. 

DDU is a free program that complete uninstalls old drivers. Sometimes uninstalling old gpu drivers manually still leaves residual files that can cause issues for the new drivers

did you add voltage to gpu when it was overclocked? If so, an unstable OC could've caused damage, but an OC without added voltage is pretty safe

@Derrk 

OK so I went ahead and uninstalled using DDU in safe mode, performed a clean install of geforce experience. Restarted the system, loaded AC and still pegging near 100% usage. Then installed latest drivers for GeForce reloaded the game same story, settings were on ultra so lowered to Medium, no change.

No when I had it OC'd I only changed Core/Mem clocks, I never touched the voltage because I don't know what I'm doing with them.

Just took a shot of the in game Game Performance Graph, does this mean anything to you?

DSC_0198.JPG

DSC_0199.JPG

1 hour ago, Derrk said:

neither bottleneck is desirable, if your gpu is bottlenecked that means it can't produce frames that the cpu needs which will cause frame drops and stuttering. GTA seemed to have a good cpu/gpu usage and i didn't really notice any stuttering on it. It seems especially odd to me that AC has your gpu pegged in the 90% range but low cpu usage. Typically AC is a cpu killer. 

DDU is a free program that complete uninstalls old drivers. Sometimes uninstalling old gpu drivers manually still leaves residual files that can cause issues for the new drivers

did you add voltage to gpu when it was overclocked? If so, an unstable OC could've caused damage, but an OC without added voltage is pretty safe

Have you any other ideas with the above response in mind? 

3 hours ago, aka John Caesar said:

Have you any other ideas with the above response in mind? 

sorry, i was busy. I mean its not a huge deal as long as the gpu isn't pinged out to 100%. Whats strange to me is that changing the quality doesn't affect the %.

I just opened AC odyssey (i uninstalled origins) and i was in the 90% range at 4k 60hz. I dropped it down to 1440p and gpu went to low 70s %

17 minutes ago, Derrk said:

sorry, i was busy. I mean its not a huge deal as long as the gpu isn't pinged out to 100%. Whats strange to me is that changing the quality doesn't affect the %.

I just opened AC odyssey (i uninstalled origins) and i was in the 90% range at 4k 60hz. I dropped it down to 1440p and gpu went to low 70s %

No problem, Yea which is what should happen. But it's not, it's banging straight to pretty much 100% when the game loads in, then get that constant stuttering effect. 

Here is a lil clip showing settings set to low, very low or off respectively. As you can see GPU is still extremely high, when it should be very low now, task manager shows 100%. i've now completly unistalled drivers and reinstalled using 2 different methods. The rest of windows, applications etc are working fine and watching videos is fine. No negative impact on my GPU what so ever.

So I really have no idea now, has anyone ever experienced anything like this before?

It's not optimal 100%, I feel like somthing is forcing it to that level, as you all can see, usage should not be 100% on low settings.

This issue is still unresolved, at this point I think I may aswell bang my head off a brick wall lol

Have u try freesync ?

AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core / Evga 1070ti ftw 2 8 gb/ MSI B450 tomawack / Stock cooler/ G.SKILL 16gb 3000mhz RGB / 860 evo 500 GB /  XL2411 144HZ  / Western digital blue 1 TB 7200 RPM/ Corsair 760T (white) |Window 10 pro

Freesync can remove stutter (kind off)

AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core / Evga 1070ti ftw 2 8 gb/ MSI B450 tomawack / Stock cooler/ G.SKILL 16gb 3000mhz RGB / 860 evo 500 GB /  XL2411 144HZ  / Western digital blue 1 TB 7200 RPM/ Corsair 760T (white) |Window 10 pro

5 hours ago, brubru1998 said:

Freesync can remove stutter (kind off)

I don't think freesync is the issue as it has been on, its somthing that is forcing all my gpu to 100% in all game, this what ever it is, is causing the stutter.

I opened a thread on Nvidia forums as well.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1109125/geforce-drivers/all-games-constant-stuttering-fix-needed-/2/?offset=34#6044961 

You can see all the steps I've taken, even a window 10 reinstall. I don't know what to do now.

Some people have suggested remover usb wired or wireless devices, but I don't see how any of my peripherals would force my GPU to 100% in games all the time. 

Could this be the problem, Desktop Window Manger? From what I've read so far it's responsable for managing devices like cpu and gpu etc, could be making my gpu work to hard freeing up the CPU to much? 

Screenshot_20190510-235825.png

I've just stumbled across somthing else, can some tell me about this, should I do what it recommendeds in screen? Should a gpu run x16? 

DSC_0202.JPG

31 minutes ago, aka John Caesar said:

I've just stumbled across somthing else, can some tell me about this, should I do what it recommendeds in screen? Should a gpu run x16? 

DSC_0202.JPG

Nope that wasn't the issue for me, still stuttering, btw I don't know if I may be getting stuttering mixed up with lag. On Forza it looks like lag on AC looks like stuttering. 

On 5/12/2019 at 5:03 AM, aka John Caesar said:

SOLVED

After everything the only way I was able to fix this GPU issue was with a complete whipe of the system and reinstall.

Not ideal at all and still didn't find out what caused the issue. But its fixed!