How much should I overclock?

I am slightly new to the whole overclocking thing and have a fair bit to learn (NOOB) and have no idea on how much I should overclock or even where in the bios to do it. My processor is a 4770K and it has an h80i for cooling. I know it is a good processor for overclocking and the coolier is adequate to handle the heat. (and yes i DID use Comic Sans) Thanks!   

-beans

Join the Linus Tech Tips Conglomerate in Star Citizen 

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

Enlist NOW to join the fleet!!!

As much as you can.... Nice font.... LOL

Diamond 5 in League :)

Oc as much as you can with it being reasonably cool and stable with as low of a voltage as possible.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Intel it Megahertz.

Anybody? No... ok

3390182310_f86c82cb95.jpg

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

With a h80i on haswell socket 1150 you won't get far.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

I am slightly new to the whole overclocking thing and have a fair bit to learn (NOOB) and have no idea on how much I should overclock or even where in the bios to do it. My processor is a 4770K and it has an h80i for cooling. I know it is a good processor for overclocking and the coolier is adequate to handle the heat. (and yes i DID use Comic Sans) Thanks!   

-beans

Just remember you could be the best OCer in the world and still only get 4.4ghz (example). It depends on the silicon lottery as they call it. you could get a good chip or a dud.

Just give it a go and see what happens. Just get familiar with either clearing,resetting and switching bios's. dual bios saved my bacon more than once. ;)

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

start it at like 4.5 Ghz and keep turning up the wattage until it stabalizes, if it stabalizes, and then trying uping it from there.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

in the decreasing order

1. as much as you can......! juice out every last bit of performance as possible!

2.or just as much as you want ,provided you want less than max oc possible on the chip.... xD

PC 1: CPU: i5 12600k     GPU: RTX 4080     MOTHERBOARD: Asus B650M-A D4       RAM: 16x4 DDR4 3200       POWERSUPPLY: EVGA 650 G6  

SSD: WD Black gen 4 x2 + Crucial MX 500 x2           

KEYBOARD: Keychron K4    MOUSE: Logitech G502 SE Hero   MOUSE PAD: Goliathus control XL   MONITOR: Alienware AW3423DW + LG 25UM58 + Dell 24"  Speakers: Edifier R1280T + SVS PB1000

Laptop: M1 MacBook Pro 16                     

With a h80i on haswell socket 1150 you won't get far.

you must be fun at parties!

PC 1: CPU: i5 12600k     GPU: RTX 4080     MOTHERBOARD: Asus B650M-A D4       RAM: 16x4 DDR4 3200       POWERSUPPLY: EVGA 650 G6  

KEYBOARD: Keychron K4    MOUSE: Logitech G502 SE Hero   MOUSE PAD: Goliathus control XL   MONITOR: Alienware AW3423DW + LG 25UM58 + Dell 24"  Speakers: Edifier R1280T + SVS PB1000

you must be fun at parties!

I'm a realist and every man should strive to be one.

I'm a realist and every man should strive to be one.

Sir ,yes Sir!

When it goes bang, fiz, pop just dial it back a little until it stops smoking.

Nothing to see here - move along.

Just remember you could be the best OCer in the world and still only get 4.4ghz (example). It depends on the silicon lottery as they call it. you could get a good chip or a dud.

Just give it a go and see what happens. Just get familiar with either clearing,resetting and switching bios's. dual bios saved my bacon more than once. ;)

GOD DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!! I got a dud  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry: 

He should be able to reach 4,4-4,5 without a huge problem. My friend @The Great Sayain Man and i oced his 4770k to 5.0 ghz. 

So then he is in the lucky 10% of people who can a ctually OC it that high

So then he is in the lucky 10% of people who can a ctually OC it that high

He kind of has a 1300€ custom loop tho. 

He should be able to reach 4,4-4,5 without a huge problem. My friend @The Great Sayain Man and i oced his 4770k to 5.0 ghz. 

Using an h80i :o  i doubt it

Using an h80i :o  i doubt it

No they 5 ghz was on a custom 1300€ loop. With the H80i 4,4 or 4,5 should be fine. 

GOD DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!! I got a dud  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry: 

you might not have, at first i thought i got a bad chip as i couldn't get past 4.2ghz and be stable but i did some research found out what all the other settings did and now I'm running at 4.6ghz. You have to be really patient when overclocking as there are a ton of tiny tweaks that can make a big difference in the long run.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz