ROG Strix SCAR II Gaming Laptop Input Lag

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has experience with an issue similar to this on either their ROG Strix SCAR II, or different laptop that displays the same behavior. 

I am playing Rocket League with this laptop (144hz, GTX 1070, i7 8750h) and everything works as it should when the laptop is plugged in. When I unplug the laptop, performance takes a hit (obviously), and I am running at about 25% GPU capacity. Fortunately, RL still plays at 60FPS with lowered settings with ease. My issue is that when I've unplugged the laptop, I all of a sudden experience a ton of input lag with my USB gamepad. 

I use GeForce Experience Battery Boost to set my FPS limit to 60, but regardless of my frame cap, I still am having what feels like 50-100ms of input lag when I am in game. While plugged in, this isn't a problem, I input on the gamepad, and the game responds instantly, but unplugged, I feel a ton of lag in game. It feels like all of a sudden I am streaming the game over a network or something, and nothing responds as quickly as it should. 

Maybe the 144hz display has an increased delay while running on battery? Perhaps there is a setting that can be changed to eliminate this? 

Thanks for the help in advance. 

2 minutes ago, SSJ_7YL3R said:

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has experience with an issue similar to this on either their ROG Strix SCAR II, or different laptop that displays the same behavior. 

I am playing Rocket League with this laptop (144hz, GTX 1070, i7 8750h) and everything works as it should when the laptop is plugged in. When I unplug the laptop, performance takes a hit (obviously), and I am running at about 25% GPU capacity. Fortunately, RL still plays at 60FPS with lowered settings with ease. My issue is that when I've unplugged the laptop, I all of a sudden experience a ton of input lag with my USB gamepad. 

I use GeForce Experience Battery Boost to set my FPS limit to 60, but regardless of my frame cap, I still am having what feels like 50-100ms of input lag when I am in game. While plugged in, this isn't a problem, I input on the gamepad, and the game responds instantly, but unplugged, I feel a ton of lag in game. It feels like all of a sudden I am streaming the game over a network or something, and nothing responds as quickly as it should. 

Maybe the 144hz display has an increased delay while running on battery? Perhaps there is a setting that can be changed to eliminate this? 

Thanks for the help in advance. 

Set power options on battery to maximum performance. Then do the same in the Nvidia Control Panel as well.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

13 minutes ago, KingCry said:

Set power options on battery to maximum performance. Then do the same in the Nvidia Control Panel as well.

I've changed the battery settings to performance, and I was allowing Nvidia Control Panel to allow the application to choose the render quality. like I said, 3D performance is acceptable under both conditions (for my expectations). 

I am still feeling the input lag, though maybe I am tricking myself jumping from 144hz to 60hz. From my experience, dropping to 60 FPS shouldn't necessarily make me feel like I am so "clunky" like I do. My inputs just seem snapier when plugged in, which makes me believe there is a delay that is happening while unplugged. 

Any further insight?

probably a windows power saving thing. basically turning down the poling rate of usb devices to save power

3 minutes ago, SSJ_7YL3R said:

I've changed the battery settings to performance, and I was allowing Nvidia Control Panel to allow the application to choose the render quality. like I said, 3D performance is acceptable under both conditions (for my expectations). 

I am still feeling the input lag, though maybe I am tricking myself jumping from 144hz to 60hz. From my experience, dropping to 60 FPS shouldn't necessarily make me feel like I am so "clunky" like I do. My inputs just seem snapier when plugged in, which makes me believe there is a delay that is happening while unplugged. 

Any further insight?

do you lag the most when a person leaves/joins?

NOTE: I AM NEVER ALWAYS RIGHT, BUT I AM HAPPY TO HELP ANYWAY I CAN

Tag me @WambleCropped or quote me so I can see your reply

My Rig: RTX 2060, R7 1700X, Samsung 860 500GB, Masterlite Liquid Cooler, Asrock Pro B540,16GB of RAM G.Skill 2133

PSU Tier List                    SSD Tier List                              Graphics Tier List

1 hour ago, Saksham said:

probably a windows power saving thing. basically turning down the poling rate of usb devices to save power

I was thinking it might be something like this. I am not sure myself. Do you think trying a Bluetooth controller might yield a different result? 

1 hour ago, Dat--Boi said:

do you lag the most when a person leaves/joins?

I've just been in freeplay. I know that there is stuttering that occurs frequently when people come and go mid-game, but this is unrelated to that kind of lag. 

Why play games with battery power. Kill battery faster

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Well I was able to solve this. Ended up using a PS4 controller with DS4Windows and the input lag was eliminated. Feels really good without the charger and 60FPS. The reason I wanted this for when I travel, etc. Can play for about 45 minute to an hour before it needs to be plugged in.