Virtual machine project

Last summer my 3 years old msi r9 280 died, but that hasn't been much of a problem since I left home for university. This summer I will come back home and build a new gaming pc for my brother (i7 8700k, rtx2070, 16gb ram) and I figured out I might actually use it too. Is it possible to make two virtual machines out of a single graphic cards?

2 minutes ago, Giulio Ruello said:

Is it possible to make two virtual machines out of a single graphic cards?

Not for gaming usage like you will be doing, neither would you be able to split out 2 monitor outputs to display 2 VMs independently. Sharing a GPU is possible but the platforms and software that do it are designed for a different usage case and are expensive.

The cheapest option is to put multiple graphics cards in a single computer and assign those to a VM each using something like unRAID, however I'm not much a fan of this. I would upgrade the CPU to one with more cores if you did that as well, 9900k or Ryzen 7.

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Not for gaming usage like you will be doing, neither would you be able to split out 2 monitor outputs to display 2 VMs independently. Sharing a GPU is possible but the platforms and software that do it are designed for a different usage case and are expensive.

The cheapest option is to put multiple graphics cards in a single computer and assign those to a VM each using something like unRAID, however I'm not much a fan of this. I would upgrade the CPU to one with more cores if you did that as well, 9900k or Ryzen 7.

Thank you for the answer. would it be a problem to put different gpus for each VM?

1 minute ago, Giulio Ruello said:

Thank you for the answer. would it be a problem to put different gpus for each VM?

That will be fine.

What is it you are trying to accomplish?  Are you trying to have both of you play games at the same time using the same computer?  If so, I wouldn't recommend that.