1660ti low fps

Hi, I recently got a gtx 1660ti and have been experiencing low frame rates. I have looked at reviews and tests done with the same gpu and cpu that I have and they were getting much higher frame rates than I am. Someone did say that it could potentially be my power supply? I'll list my specs below. I'm really not sure what to do so any help would be amazing!

Gtx 1660ti

Ryzen 5 1600

32gb DDR4 ram

Asus B-350f motherboard

Corsair VS550 psu

Is this a new system or fresh windows install? If not, what GPU did you used to have? You night need to uninstall your old drivers with DDU

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Is this a new system or fresh windows install? If not, what GPU did you used to have? You night need to uninstall your old drivers with DDU

I used to have a gtx 750 ti. I used DDU yesterday and did a fresh driver install so it shouldn't be the drivers

1 minute ago, Ciaccio_47 said:

What average framerates are you getting?

I tried a few games:

Fallout 4 - 55fps

Gta V - 32fps

No man's sky - 31fps

In other tests I looked at they were getting significantly higher frame rates than I am

1 minute ago, Jam144 said:

I tried a few games:

Fallout 4 - 55fps

Gta V - 32fps

No man's sky - 31fps

In other tests I looked at they were getting significantly higher frame rates than I am

Do you have a cooler for your cpu

Just now, Ciaccio_47 said:

Do you have a cooler for your cpu

Yeah the fan that comes with the Ryzen 5

1 minute ago, Jam144 said:

Ok then this seems very strange, as you said it might be the psu but I don't really think it is. This system should only draw like 350 - 400 watts

3 minutes ago, Jam144 said:

Are you sure you have the right drivers for it?

1 minute ago, Ciaccio_47 said:

Ok then this seems very strange, as you said it might be the psu but I don't really think it is. This system should only draw like 350 - 400 watts

Yeah I didn't think it was the psu either. So I am very confused

1 minute ago, BmanGames said:

Are you sure you have the right drivers for it?

Yes definitely 

Did you optimize games with geforce experience ? if so it could be that the games are running at 1440p or 4k even

Let's agree to disagree

1 minute ago, MrTiC said:

Did you optimize games with geforce experience ? if so it could be that the games are running at 1440p or 4k even

Yes I did. How do I check if they are running at 1440p or 4k?

if you click on the game in GFE you see what setting it running at and what ress

Let's agree to disagree

4 minutes ago, MrTiC said:

if you click on the game in GFE you see what setting it running at and what ress

It says the games are running at the correct resolution for my monitor which is 2560x1080

Could it be to do with my chipset or something like that? 

Have you tried running a different version of the drivers. 

• 1 month later...

I too purchased a MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Gaming X (https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1660-Ti-GAMING-X-6G) to replace my Gainward GeForce GTX 970 Phantom - 4 Go.

I used DDU to remove drivers, switched GPU then reinstalled GeForce Experience and latest GeForce Game Ready Drivers (430.86 right now)

Was so impatient to finally run games smoothly but.. I was very disappointed cause I had low FPS (under 60 fps in 1080p with framedrops from time to time) on games such as :

• The Division 2
  • Insurgency Sandstorm

I was using "optimize games with geforce experience", then tried to set setting to High then Medium, then Low ... :'(

My setup is :

• MB : Gigabyte Z170-Gaming K3
  • CPU : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K
  • RAM : G.Skill Ripjaws V Red DDR4 2 x 8 Go 2133 MHz CAS 15
  • GPU : MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Gaming X
  • Screen : Iiyama ProLite B2712HDS

Do you guys know any benchmark tool that could just check if there'is any bottleneck / issue with hardware /software?

I'm using and adapter Displayport -> DVI cause my screen has no Displayport, can this be the cause of low FPS?

Thanks,

23 minutes ago, Nicoconut said:

I too purchased a MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Gaming X (https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1660-Ti-GAMING-X-6G) to replace my Gainward GeForce GTX 970 Phantom - 4 Go.

I used DDU to remove drivers, switched GPU then reinstalled GeForce Experience and latest GeForce Game Ready Drivers (430.86 right now)

Was so impatient to finally run games smoothly but.. I was very disappointed cause I had low FPS (under 60 fps in 1080p with framedrops from time to time) on games such as :

• The Division 2
  • Insurgency Sandstorm

I was using "optimize games with geforce experience", then tried to set setting to High then Medium, then Low ... ?

My setup is :

Do you guys know any benchmark tool that could just check if there'is any bottleneck / issue with hardware /software?

I'm using and adapter Displayport -> DVI cause my screen has no Displayport, can this be the cause of low FPS?

Thanks,

Rivatuner, it comes with MSI afterburner, just go on their website and download it for free.

2 hours ago, Tackett351 said:

Rivatuner, it comes with MSI afterburner, just go on their website and download it for free.

Thanks, just checked MSI's website, they provide a tool called "Kombustor" https://us.msi.com/page/afterburner

I'll give it a try and keep you guys updated

You'll also want to update your bios and drivers for your motherboard as well if you haven't already, the support page for your motherboard on the manufacturer's website will have all of the most recent versions of everything. I can't even count the number of times updating the bios has fixed crashing and bad performance for people on here especially if it either hasn't been updated before or hasn't in a while.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/27/2019 at 3:15 AM, Nicoconut said:

• The Division 2
  • Insurgency Sandstorm

I was using "optimize games with geforce experience", then tried to set setting to High then Medium, then Low ... :'(

My setup is :

Thanks,

Hi, I have the same problem, with the same card. could you solve it?

• 2 months later...
On 6/27/2019 at 6:15 PM, Nicoconut said:

• The Division 2
  • Insurgency Sandstorm

I was using "optimize games with geforce experience", then tried to set setting to High then Medium, then Low ... ?

My setup is :

Thanks,

Dude I purchased the fking MSI GL63 8SD i5-8300h nvdia gtx 1660 ti 12 gb ram and when I'm playin gta 5 at Ultra fking low settings I only get 60 fps that's it fking 60 fps my laptop is updated all the drivers and gpu anything and still fucking low fps it can't even reach 70 neither 61fps at ultra low in gta 5 

There's this time when I was changing my graphics in gta V I only used 2973 video card out of 6gb video card of 1660 ti at high settings guess what my fps drops at 27 below mxaa is off nvdia txaa is off and it starts to lag ??I don't even fking know what's wrong with my laptop and when I try to change my dedicated graphics card to nvdia it has same performance with integrated graphics ??? isn't  the gtx 1660 ti more superior than intel uhd 630? And also there's this time I was using the intel graphics I reach 35 fps at high settings in gta v while in nvdia gtx 1660 ti nothing happens ??pls help me ????

• 2 months later...

This thread is old but problem still persists. I have bought i5 9600K and GTX 1660 super OC but i am getting almost the half of the fps i should get. I have checked the temperatures and they are fine. I have installed latest drivers and checked the power management settings for both nvidia and windows and set them to maximum power, i have 600W psu and updated bios. I see around %70 cpu and cpu utilization in games with around 45 fps. It almost feels like my rig is holding back for some reason. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.