PC freezes when accessing HDD

sarry

Hello, I am in the awkward situation. PC randomly freezes for few seconds when automaticky accessing HDDs. Mouse is not moving and sound is freezed at one tone so it is very annoying. In the power management I have set that HDDs will stop turning after 5 min of idle (quiet pc). My primary (system) drive is WD Black NVME SSD 500GB then I have two 3TB HDDs from Seagate. Weird is when I turn them off manualy it is ok, no freeze. It started happening after motherboard change (Asrock Z370 Extreme 4 => ASUS Z390 Maximus XI Code) before it, it worked fine. Maybe the problem is in BIOS?

Change the sata cable, do a surface test.

Bios got nothing to do with this, usually its a connections / bad sector problem.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Did you reinstall Windows completely after the motherboard swap or did you just transfer the old install over to the new motherboard? 

Windows is getting better at dealing with hardware changes, but you can still have all kinds of random problems if you do something as drastic as to change motherboards and chipsets. 

13 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Did you reinstall Windows completely after the motherboard swap or did you just transfer the old install over to the new motherboard? 

Windows is getting better at dealing with hardware changes, but you can still have all kinds of random problems if you do something as drastic as to change motherboards and chipsets. 

Clean installation.

39 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Change the sata cable, do a surface test.

Bios got nothing to do with this, usually its a connections / bad sector problem.

I have done both of it but it did not help.

And what did you found after surface test?

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

And what did you found after surface test?

Sadly nothing. All sectors are good.

Download the SeaTools for Windows from the Seagate website to check the lifespan and also look for a firmware upgrade by entering your serial number under where it says "Firmware Downloads":

https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

Also, you can also try to repair damaged files of your operating system by running the following two commands:

1. CHKDSK

2. sfc /scannow

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming