Annoying clicking noise coming from my graphics card

Hi! I just bought an MSI GTX 780Ti Gaming, but the issue is that there's an annoying ticking noise coming from it every 6.5 seconds. I've tried stopping the fans, but that doesn't help. I'm sure it's the graphics card, since it started right after I installed it. If you'd like, I can upload a recording of the sound to Youtube so you can hear it.

Thanks in advance!

-Frederik

You've probably asked yourself this already but is there a cable hitting the fan? Try taking the side panel off and see what happens.

Still learning how to play Dota 2 :)

Could it be the fans rattling?

Derp, I need to learn how to read. Is the card completely free from cables hitting it or something?

Edited by Wauthar

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

Is it an electronic sound?

Main Rig:

Spoiler

AMD FX 8320 @4.5Ghz  8GB Corsair Vengeance LP Blu 1600Mhz Sapphire Vapor X HD 7950 3GB 120GB Samsung 840 Evo  Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 

Corsair 600T Graphite Corsair H80i Corsair CX600 2x LG 24 inch LED @1080p Logitech G700s CM Quickfire TK (Brown)

Home Server:

Spoiler

A4 6300 @3.7Ghz 5GB Kingston/Crucial DDR3 1600Mhz 1TB WD Green 2TB Seagate Barracuda

500GB WD Blue 2x Gigabit NIC Antec 300 OCZ 500w PSU Gigabyte F2A68HM-HD2 R1.1

Yes. It's kinda' hard to describe, but it's an electronic "clonking". I'll upload the video as soon as I get home ;)

Completely off-topic, but what front 200mm fan are you using in your 650D?

Bitfenix Spectre Pro, happy with it moves much more air

did you try removing it ....give it a try!and see if the noise persists!

PC 1: CPU: i5 12600k     GPU: RTX 4080     MOTHERBOARD: Asus B650M-A D4       RAM: 16x4 DDR4 3200       POWERSUPPLY: EVGA 650 G6  

SSD: WD Black gen 4 x2 + Crucial MX 500 x2           

KEYBOARD: Keychron K4    MOUSE: Logitech G502 SE Hero   MOUSE PAD: Goliathus control XL   MONITOR: Alienware AW3423DW + LG 25UM58 + Dell 24"  Speakers: Edifier R1280T + SVS PB1000

Laptop: M1 MacBook Pro 16                     

Could it be the fans rattling?

Derp, I need to learn how to read. Is the card completely free from cables hitting it or something?

Here's a link to the Youtube video. You will need to turn up the volume a bit, but it's quite audible at the end. -Oh, and the loud and high pitched noise you can hear is my Ax860i power supply! I figured that if I bought such a high end PSU as this, I would run into ANY issues, but apparently that's not how stuff works!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVwloJf9j_w&feature=youtu.be

Here's a link to the Youtube video. You will need to turn up the volume a bit, but it's quite audible at the end. -Oh, and the loud and high pitched noise you can hear is my Ax860i power supply! I figured that if I bought such a high end PSU as this, I would run into ANY issues, but apparently that's not how stuff works!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVwloJf9j_w&feature=youtu

To be honest I can only hear the PSU noise!, but I suspect if it is a electrical noise, and if you are sure that it's not from that fans, that the only solution will be to try to get a replacement. Coil whine, I believe it's called. But if the card is new, the send it back and the replacement shouldn't have the same problem

Main Rig:

Spoiler

AMD FX 8320 @4.5Ghz  8GB Corsair Vengeance LP Blu 1600Mhz Sapphire Vapor X HD 7950 3GB 120GB Samsung 840 Evo  Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 

Corsair 600T Graphite Corsair H80i Corsair CX600 2x LG 24 inch LED @1080p Logitech G700s CM Quickfire TK (Brown)

Home Server:

Spoiler

A4 6300 @3.7Ghz 5GB Kingston/Crucial DDR3 1600Mhz 1TB WD Green 2TB Seagate Barracuda

500GB WD Blue 2x Gigabit NIC Antec 300 OCZ 500w PSU Gigabyte F2A68HM-HD2 R1.1

did you try removing it ....give it a try!and see if the noise persists!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVwloJf9j_w&feature=youtu.be

Okay, I tried removing the GPU, and apparently it isn't that! The sound wasn't there before I installed it, so I just figured that it had to be the source, but now I'm gonna' have to do some more troubleshooting.. Thanks for all the great respons! I'll be writing to you when I've found the source.

glad i could help!

also @0:35? is that the one? i hope to god thats not an insect or something!

PC 1: CPU: i5 12600k     GPU: RTX 4080     MOTHERBOARD: Asus B650M-A D4       RAM: 16x4 DDR4 3200       POWERSUPPLY: EVGA 650 G6  

KEYBOARD: Keychron K4    MOUSE: Logitech G502 SE Hero   MOUSE PAD: Goliathus control XL   MONITOR: Alienware AW3423DW + LG 25UM58 + Dell 24"  Speakers: Edifier R1280T + SVS PB1000

glad i could help!

I hope not! Well, I live in Denmark, so the likelihood of it being an insect is very small as the largest insects we have are as large as like... a 6x2 LEGO brick :D

I hope not! Well, I live in Denmark, so the likelihood of it being an insect is very small as the largest insects we have are as large as like... a 6x2 LEGO brick :D

xD .........i still think it could be a fan! try holding one fan after another and see if a certain fan could be the issue!

To be honest I can only hear the PSU noise!, but I suspect if it is a electrical noise, and if you are sure that it's not from that fans, that the only solution will be to try to get a replacement. Coil whine, I believe it's called. But if the card is new, the send it back and the replacement shouldn't have the same problem

glad i could help!

Does it happen all the time or only while gaming?

Bitfenix Spectre Pro, happy with it moves much more air

Ok, so I tried plugging out: my harddrives (not my SSD), the non-essential fans, the optical drive, and the GPU. What I found out is that my H100i is the source! 'Twas quite clear, that the sound was coming from the pump, now that the only things that made any sound were the Noctuas on it, the PSU and the pump. (BTW, I've also tried plugging out the Noctuas one at a time). Problem solved!

Ok, so I tried plugging out: my harddrives (not my SSD), the non-essential fans, the optical drive, and the GPU. What I found out is that my H100i is the source! 'Twas quite clear, that the sound was coming from the pump, now that the only things that made any sound were the Noctuas on it, the PSU and the pump. (BTW, I've also tried plugging out the Noctuas one at a time). Problem solved!

uhm......but why is the pump making that noise ?