Can you split the Ethernet?

xxx_skywalker_xxx

Hi,

I have a Devolo dLAN device that I use to get internet to my computer, using the ring main of course.

I was bought a Raspberry Pi and need to connect it to Ethernet, is there such a thing that can split the cable as it enters my Desktop PC so one connection can go to the Raspberry Pi?

Googled it and it seems a bit of an art?

Cheers

D

6581 The power of the C64  :) 

Sounds like you're looking for a RJ45 Y connector. I've never used one before, so I can't really comment on how well it will work though

Coolermaster HAF 932 | Intel i7 4770k  | Corsair H100i | 16GB 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance | PowerColor 7970 | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | Corsair HX650 | Dell U2713HM , U2312HM

Samsung 840 Pro 128gb|  9tb Storage |  CMStorm Quickfire rapid (Cherry Blue) | SteelSeries Sensei RAW | SteelSeries Siberia | Logitech G51| Xonar DX| Sennheiser HD518|

~Duck Duck Goose!~

Sounds like you're looking for a RJ45 Y connector. I've never used one before, so I can't really comment on how well it will work though

Those wont work.

OP, you need a switch. You can get a cheap gigabit port for £20 on amazon/ebay.

Those wont work.

Yes it would work. You can split one Ethernet cable (a full one with 8 pins) into two Ethernet cables (4 pins each) with a splitter. It's not a good idea though and it's much better to just get a switch.

You get low speeds and many collisions if you use a splitter, but it does work.

Those wont work.

OP, you need a switch. You can get a cheap gigabit port for £20 on amazon/ebay.

A switch is most certainly a less insane route to go :P

Coolermaster HAF 932 | Intel i7 4770k  | Corsair H100i | 16GB 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance | PowerColor 7970 | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | Corsair HX650 | Dell U2713HM , U2312HM

Samsung 840 Pro 128gb|  9tb Storage |  CMStorm Quickfire rapid (Cherry Blue) | SteelSeries Sensei RAW | SteelSeries Siberia | Logitech G51| Xonar DX| Sennheiser HD518|

~Duck Duck Goose!~