Stuttering issue with stock i7 6850K and Gigabyte GTX 1080ti

itsamee

Hello I have a friend whose system always stutters in games (they play FFXIV and League of Legends). They never seem to hit over 120fps at all and has stutters at moments.

the specs I know are:

i7 6850K @ 3.6Ghz

32GB RAM

Gigabyte GTX 1080ti

1000W 80+ Platinum PSU

They run 3 BenQ monitors, 1 being a 144hz one... but I don't see that being an issue as I run similar myself with a R5 1600 + 1080ti with 4 monitors (1 120hz, 1 ultrawide) with no issue.

Thanks for any help!

27 minutes ago, itsamee said:

1880ti

Haven't seen that one yet lol

Have you checked any thermal throttling?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 hour ago, fasauceome said:

Temps are fine :S

17 hours ago, fasauceome said:

Only just realised what I typo'd x)

What was done as far as troubleshooting?

First thing I would do i DDU and reinstall the most current GPU drivers and check if there are any other driver updates for his system (chipset, network, etc..).

Check if that happens with only one monitor plugged in (testing each monitor in turn).

Have the ressource monitor running while playing and look for any activity spikes when the stuttering happens.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 hour ago, wkdpaul said:

What was done as far as troubleshooting?

First thing I would do i DDU and reinstall the most current GPU drivers and check if there are any other driver updates for his system (chipset, network, etc..).

Check if that happens with only one monitor plugged in (testing each monitor in turn).

Have the ressource monitor running while playing and look for any activity spikes when the stuttering happens.

They have tried all of that :/ drivers countless of times

2 minutes ago, itsamee said:

They have tried all of that :/ drivers countless of times

Ok, next step would be the other stuff I mentioned (trying with only 1 monitor and testing all 3, one by one, then testing every 'permutation' of 2 monitors with only 1 disconnected, etc...)

Then testing the games with the ressource monitor open to see if there are activity spikes when the stuttering happen (could be GPU, CPU or HDD activity spikes) and go from there.

I'm saying that because I had stuttering issues 2 years ago with 2 games, turns out it was HDD activity, so I turned off Windows Update (Win10) cleaned up that HDD (removed games I wasn't using) and did a defrag, the stutters stopped after I did that. So ressource monitor could help point out what the issue is.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !