CPU temps quite high after motherboard upgrade

23 minutes ago, Doddsy7 said:

Right idk but my motherboard lacks features in the ai tweaker section such as the way to set docp and stuff so I have no idea what is going on, and also I set my windows plan to balanced mode and now the voltage massively fluctuates from 1.34v to as high as 1.48v, I have no idea how to set a fixed value and would appreciate some help

Is there no option for VCORE in your BIOS?

And you don't want to set voltage manually or your CPU will behave as if you'd set a static multiplier.  

Take a pic of your BIOS screen so those unfamiliar can see what's available to you.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

46 minutes ago, nick name said:

update your BIOS.  

what's the point of this?

a BIOS update should only be done when a motherboard doesn't supports a new CPU.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Just now, aezakmi said:

a BIOS update should only be done when a motherboard doesn't supports a new CPU.

Yeah, that's not true.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

5 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

LMAO what? 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

56 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

Those pesky AGESA updates are no good for anybody!

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 hour ago, nick name said:

Yeah, that's not true.  

iF YOU SAY SO, GOD OF COMPUTING

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

1 hour ago, aezakmi said:

iF YOU SAY SO, GOD OF COMPUTING

Don't get your feelings hurt and lash out.

4 hours ago, Doddsy7 said:

Right idk but my motherboard lacks features in the ai tweaker section such as the way to set docp and stuff so I have no idea what is going on, and also I set my windows plan to balanced mode and now the voltage massively fluctuates from 1.34v to as high as 1.48v, I have no idea how to set a fixed value and would appreciate some help

If you set the maximum CPU state to 99% in the advanced power plan options, it prevents the OS from using any of the turbo boosting features which would also cause the voltage to spike. Also I'm pretty appalled by the manual I found online. There's only handful of pages about the BIOS and it's not even useful information.

I'd recommend trying out the the Ryzen Master utility (https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master). It'll let you tweak with the CPU settings.

EDIT: Also as a sanity check, did you reset the BIOS settings at all?

Edited by Mira Yurizaki

7 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

If you set the maximum CPU state to 99% in the advanced power plan options, it prevents the OS from using any of the turbo boosting features which would also cause the voltage to spike. Also I'm pretty appalled by the manual I found online. There's only handful of pages about the BIOS and it's not even useful information.

I'd recommend trying out the the Ryzen Master utility (https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master). It'll let you tweak with the CPU settings.

If you set Maximum to 99% you're gonna have a bad time.  

5 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

EDIT: Also as a sanity check, did you reset the BIOS settings at all?

Is this from my old board? Because all I did was swap out the motherboard and don’t recall anything about resetting it before hand 

4 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

No, but it wouldn't hurt to reset the settings anyway.

So I think I’ve reset the board and it did nothing so any other ideas?

Because for some reason there is no Vcore option in my bios 

6 minutes ago, Doddsy7 said:

Because for some reason there is no Vcore option in my bios 

The option, if the motherboard's manual is correct, appears to be "VDDCR CPU Voltage" and "VDDCR SoC Voltage"

However I recommend reading https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3251-raven-ridge-soc-voltage-guidelines-how-to-kill-cpu-with-safe-voltage, before poking at it

so it’s really weird when I’ve got into ryzen master, it says the temperature is normal for idle (about 30 degrees), then it just shoots up randomly to about 45 degrees at idle and when the temperature does rise, it says the cpu is using more power (almost double), I have no idea what is going on anymore 

12 minutes ago, Doddsy7 said:

so it’s really weird when I’ve got into ryzen master, it says the temperature is normal for idle (about 30 degrees), then it just shoots up randomly to about 45 degrees at idle and when the temperature does rise, it says the cpu is using more power (almost double), I have no idea what is going on anymore 

The temperature randomly shooting up is normal if you have turbo boosting enabled. Something just pings one of the cores and it ramps up to the fastest speed for a second.

Should I disable turbo boost? And if so how