M.2 NVME Drive slower than it should be

Jakub_NF

I just got my new Samsung 970 EVO Plus and migrated everything from my old drive (Samsung 850 EVO) but it is unusually slow in benchmarks and I have no idea why that is, I'm thinking that maybe the drivers are not right but I went into device manager and after clicking look for drivers online it told me that I have all the newest ones. Any Ideas?

Benchmark:

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/16451208

How is "performing above expectations" unusually slow? All the read and write speeds are as they should be? 2k read and 2.5k write?

image.png.3234bb78e067abba7f4af28e33f873d1.png

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

You can try installing the Samsung NVMe driver found at https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/ under the Drivers section.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

Like @Origami Cactus mentioned Userbenchmark shows it performing within the greatest majority of entries it has for this drive so... how is it under-performing?

Try CrystalDiskMark and see if the numbers are within the average of the 970... now if you thought NVMe was going to be some sort of miracle jump from common Sata3 SSDs I'm sorry to be a deal breaker but they are not.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

How is "performing above expectations" unusually slow? All the read and write speeds are as they should be? 2k read and 2.5k write? 

image.png.3234bb78e067abba7f4af28e33f873d1.png

I know but the drive is advertised at 3500 MB/s read and 3300 MB/s write, my not only has higher writes than reads which is weird but also they're around 1000MB/s below spec

6 minutes ago, Jakub_NF said:

I know but the drive is advertised at 3500 MB/s read and 3300 MB/s write, my not only has higher writes than reads which is weird but also they're around 1000MB/s below spec

That is probably because you have the OS on the same drive, also the actual write speed is 900mb/s on the 500gb model, 3300mb/s is just the speed of the small cache.

Spoiler

The sequential write performances after Intelligent TurboWrite region are: 400 MB/s(250GB), 900 MB/s(500GB), 1,700 MB/s(1TB)

Also:

"Performance measurements based on IOmeter 1.1.0. "

So i wouldn't worry about it, your ssd is performing fine.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

4 minutes ago, Jakub_NF said:

That might be true in the most ideal of situations, but it also really depends on what the benchmark is doing:

destroyer-bw.png

heavy-bw.png

sustained-sr.png

EDIT: Seems like I found the benchmark that hits those numbers:

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9G

Note the parameter though: Q32T1, or a queue depth of 32 over one thread.

7 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Like @Origami Cactus mentioned Userbenchmark shows it performing within the greatest majority of entries it has for this drive so... how is it under-performing?

Try CrystalDiskMark and see if the numbers are within the average of the 970... now if you thought NVMe was going to be some sort of miracle jump from common Sata3 SSDs I'm sorry to be a deal breaker but they are not.

I knew that the difference would be pretty much unnoticeable but I was just curious about why it was the way it was and perhaps if there was something wrong with my drivers etc.

Here is the CrystalDiskMark test I did, looks like it's actually as it should be, thanks. http://prntscr.com/nfximt

1 minute ago, Jakub_NF said:

Here is the CrystalDiskMark test I did, looks like it's actually as it should be, thanks. http://prntscr.com/nfximt

Oh yes, now we know for sure it's performing well.

Don't stress too much, the full rated speed is usually only achieved when you're moving one single huge file from one way to another, when you start playing with lots of smaller files there's plenty more operations involved which decreases the speed.

Glad you could find peace of mind, cheers!

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)