i5 9400f or r5 2600?

Hi, i already read and watch couple of review and comparison between i5 9400f vs r5 2600/x (mostly on x version).

they always go for ryzen for price point and also upgrade path.

But from my point of view, to get those ryzen oc performance will cost me quite big amount to buy high clock ram and 4+3 phase mobo...

in my contry 2666 mhz ram was 0.5 usd more than 2400mhz, but higher clock than 2666 will add 15-25 usd more with the same capacity.

right now im building my new gaming pc since my i3 2120 pc is dead.

i was planning to use r5 2600 on b450m mobo, but then i saw i5 9400f on horizon and it catch my eye.

Now i kinda hesitate to what cpu will i buy this week, considering in my country i5 9400f was 15 usd less than r5 2600 (non x),

i already bought psu and nvme ssd, other is depend on cpu and mobo..

r5 2600x is out of my budget, its 3.300.000 idr ( arround 228 usd)

so, should i pick r5 2600 (2.685.000 IDR) or i5 9400f (2.465.000 IDR) ?

I would personally get the non X version for a decent cooler and oc it, the price is lower anyway 2.7M idr or something. For ram just get the 2666 for higher speed go above 3200mhz or some B-Die Samsung rams.

1 minute ago, alveox said:

they always go for ryzen for price point and also upgrade path.

Imo , ignore the "upgrade path", both cpu shall serve you very well for 3~5yrs at least, by that time, a few newer gens may have arrived.

get the ryzen

9400f is reported to have micro shutters on some games already, which you shall see more often in upcoming titles.

2 minutes ago, Oalei said:

What's your budget in idr I could help, probably.

around 6 M, exclude case and gpu.

I'd pick 9400f, bc: It has great performance with cheap rams&mobo (b360-B365) out of the box, whereas ryzen needs a decent-good quality B450 mobo to be OC-d& fast rams with tight timings.

Intel will get you the performance without fiddling with setups, timings, frequencies and cpu voltages in the bios. I see no reason not to choose i5 9400f for purely gaming. Other apps which benefit from HT? Surely, Ryzen. But for gaming, I think the blües win here.

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

around 6 M, exclude case and gpu.

Ryzen 5 2600, B450m Pro 4, any ram except v-gen minimum of 2666mhz, Pure Power 10/11 500W, EA gold pro, Bitfenix whisper. Squeeze in the rest maybe a 240/250/256gb ssd

That's suppose to be Like on the edge or over by a little bit. 

3 minutes ago, Vejnemojnen said:

I'd pick 9400f, bc: It has great performance with cheap rams&mobo (b360-B365) out of the box, whereas ryzen needs a decent-good quality B450 mobo to be OC-d& fast rams with tight timings.

Intel will get you the performance without fiddling with setups, timings, frequencies and cpu voltages in the bios. I see no reason not to choose i5 9400f for purely gaming. Other apps which benefit from HT? Surely, Ryzen. But for gaming, I think the blües win here.

thats exacly whats on my mind..

2 minutes ago, Oalei said:

Ryzen 5 2600, B450m Pro 4, any ram except v-gen minimum of 2666mhz, Pure Power 10/11 500W, EA gold pro, Bitfenix whisper. Squeeze in the rest maybe a 240/250/256gb ssd

r5 2600 + asrock b450m pro4 already on my cart, thats my choice too.

PSU i already buy evga 450GD, its on tier a+ same as pure power11.

SSD i already buy adata sx 82000 pro 250mb..

For ram on y cart was corsair vengeance 2666, but it can change based on cpu + motherboard.

r5 2600 + asrock b450m pro4 already on my cart, thats my choice too.

PSU i already buy evga 450GD, its on tier a+ same as pure power11.

SSD i already buy adata sx 82000 pro 250mb..

For ram on y cart was corsair vengeance 2666, but it can change based on cpu + motherboard.

GD is not a good unit after I research for a while so I'm not really sure in that unit (I'm not a n expert by any means),  Yeah the rest is pretty solid.@LukeSavenije What do you think of evga GD? 

5 minutes ago, Oalei said:

GD is not a good unit after I research for a while so I'm not really sure in that unit (I'm not a n expert by any means),  Yeah the rest is pretty solid.@LukeSavenije What do you think of evga GD? 

i was buying that psu after consulting with the master at their new psu tier post. so i think im fine with that PSU.. :D

i was buying that psu after consulting with the master at their new psu tier post. so i think im fine with that PSU.. :D

Oh OK everything Is fine then, I forgot that's a different series from evga with a G  or something else entirely, it's GQ but without modular cables (I just done some searching again and just remembered). 

59 minutes ago, Oalei said:

it's somewhat loud, but is that a new thing to evga's?

1 hour ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

Imo , ignore the "upgrade path", both cpu shall serve you very well for 3~5yrs at least, by that time, a few newer gens may have arrived.

get the ryzen

9400f is reported to have micro shutters on some games already, which you shall see more often in upcoming titles.

Agree, upgrade path is overblown. Most people buy CPUs/Motherboards once every 3-5 years and by then, you're better off going all new.

Wait for Zen 2, get the best chip you can get, and hold onto it for 5 years, IMO.

It's what I did in December 2017 with my 8700k, and i'm nearing the two year mark and don't foresee any problems within the next 3 years.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

31 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

Ouch.. If i knew its noisy i would go to pure power.. 

7 minutes ago, alveox said:

Ouch.. If i knew its noisy i would go to pure power.. 

evga's generally are a bit louder than their superflower counterpart. the pure power will be quieter

1 hour ago, LukeSavenije said:

IDK it's like 1 or 2 years ago? 

6 minutes ago, Oalei said:

i can't name a unit from evga that isn't louder than the superflower version tbh...

11 hours ago, Oalei said:

11 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

i can't name a unit from evga that isn't louder than the superflower version tbh...

Back to main question..

For total of 20- 30 usd less on the i5 system, should i go for this?

11 minutes ago, alveox said:

Back to main question..

if you don't care much about the noise level of it, qualitywise it's a good unit

12 minutes ago, alveox said:

Back to main question..

i would go for ryzen personally cause there is still the Zen 2 maybe it will support Zen 3 but i highly doubt it will.

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

if you don't care much about the noise level of it, qualitywise it's a good unit

stop using weed, OP asked I5 or R5 pls ?

14 minutes ago, Oalei said:

stop using weed, OP asked I5 or R5 pls ?

I'm not doing weed... or drink... I'm like 17...

I'd say r5 for upgrades down the line and cheap motherboards

18 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

I'm not doing weed... or drink... I'm like 17...

I'd say r5 for upgrades down the line and cheap motherboards

is age even matters at this point with how the society is?