malware fuck up

I somehow got malware on my pc. not sure how as I don't remember downloading anything suspicious. anyway, windows defender picked it up in a quick scan and says its been quarantined. im now doing a full scan to make sure I havnt missed anything else. my question is, do I have to do anything else? the things been quarantined, do I need to delete it, or will windows handle that for me? windows defender dosnt make it very clear, so id appreciate some clarification.

Delete it

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Delete it

simple enough. thanks for the help.

SuperAntiSpyware & Hitman Pro. Both free.

PC - i7 12700K | EVGA FTW3 3090 | Corsair H150i | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A | 32GB Corsair Vengance | Lian Li O11 Evo & EVGA 1k PSU

-

If my post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

One thing to try is combofix. It is a bit heavy handed if basic scans and tools don't work but has worked great for me in the past. 

1 hour ago, Pesky Ngon said:

I somehow got malware on my pc. not sure how as I don't remember downloading anything suspicious. anyway, windows defender picked it up in a quick scan and says its been quarantined. im now doing a full scan to make sure I havnt missed anything else. my question is, do I have to do anything else? the things been quarantined, do I need to delete it, or will windows handle that for me? windows defender dosnt make it very clear, so id appreciate some clarification.

You can try all kinds of programs and tools to "remove" the malware, but you will never be 100% sure that those tools actually removed everything.  There may still be something in there that isn't picked up but still functional.

The users here who "succesfully" removed malware simply got their PC to a state where their virusscanner doesn't pick any malware up anymore.  But none of them have the skills or knowledge to verify that it is indeed clean.  

Sometimes, even the best defenses fail. Falling victim to a Trojan, virus or worm attack is no fun, and cleaning up after such an infestation can be exceedingly difficult. Many experts believe that today’s malware has become so tenacious that the only way to properly clean an infected machine is to completely wipe the computer’s hard drive and reinstall a fresh copy of the operating system. I happen to count myself among this group.

That's coming from Brian Krebs, a well-known security researcher. 

https://krebsonsecurity.com/tools-for-a-safer-pc/  , near the bottom of the page

He does add :

Depending on what type of infection your system has, it may be possible to remove the malicious software with the right combination of tools, assistance and determination.

First and foremost, seek help. There are several security help forums online that will happily assist users in diagnosing and fixing malware infections.
<snip>
Pay attention to the rules, be respectful and patient (the cleanup could take days), and you may be able to reclaim control over your PC at the end of the process.

So save yourself a lot of time and insecurity, just nuke that install and start over.  If you have important data on the PC that isn't backed up yet, use another PC to create a bootable Linux stick and use the latter to get into your machine and make the backups. 

Whatever you do, don't plug in an external drive/stick to back things up while your PC is running from the infected install ... unless you want to risk having the external drive/stick infected too.  There is lots of nasty stuff out there that uses external drives to spread to other machines.  You don't want to do a fresh install and then re-infect your PC right away.

2 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

You can try all kinds of programs and tools to "remove" the malware, but you will never be 100% sure that those tools actually removed everything.  There may still be something in there that isn't picked up but still functional.

The users here who "succesfully" removed malware simply got their PC to a state where their virusscanner doesn't pick any malware up anymore.  But none of them have the skills or knowledge to verify that it is indeed clean.  

That's coming from Brian Krebs, a well-known security researcher. 

https://krebsonsecurity.com/tools-for-a-safer-pc/  , near the bottom of the page

He does add :

So save yourself a lot of time and insecurity, just nuke that install and start over.  If you have important data on the PC that isn't backed up yet, use another PC to create a bootable Linux stick and use the latter to get into your machine and make the backups. 

Whatever you do, don't plug in an external drive/stick to back things up while your PC is running from the infected install ... unless you want to risk having the external drive/stick infected too.  There is lots of nasty stuff out there that uses external drives to spread to other machines.  You don't want to do a fresh install and then re-infect your PC right away.

thanks for the extra info. I wont bore you with details but after looking into it more, im 99.9% sure the malware is delt with. even if it is still there, im not worried because I have an image back up of all my data. I appreciate the info you gave and will keep it in mind in future if I have any more problems. thank you.

This is why you should have a backup. Get an external USB drive then use either AOMEI and Macrium Reflect free backupper. 

On demand scanners I recommend are HitmanPro, Malwarebytes, Emsisoft Emergency Kit and Zemana Anti-Malware.