Freenas SMB share password help!

Qrz

I have a freenas setup that works as intended except for one little thing. So I have it setup using smb share with "apply default permission" turned off. Users are required to enter password when accessing the files which is intended. But the issue that Im concerned about is that after they have entered the password once...they aren't required to enter password again unless the computer is restarted. 

So, the question is How to I make it to where users are required to enter password..say... every 1 hour....  Is that possible with freenas.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank YOu

The password is stored on the client. And you can have the client remember the client forever if you want. You could reset the password every hour, but that seems like a awful solution.

Why do you want to require a password that often? Your probably want more security on the workstations then

Thanks a lot for the reply.

It doesn't necessarily have to be every 1 hour. I kinda just want it to require a password every so often. So its not like, the users just have to enter the password once, and as long as the computer is on the password isn't required anymore.

I remember before switching to freenas. I just used a hard drive that is attached to my router via usb. At that time, I remember after some time (I don't remember the exact time), when the user tries to access the files again, it would require the user to enter username and password again..

I just want the same experience as before thats all. 

Thanks again.

This isn't a FreeNAS issue, it is behaving correctly. Ideally your users lock their computers when they walk away (or you set the screen saver via GPO to lock after xx minutes of inactivity).

I think it's a bad design to require them to sign in again vs properly locking the workstation, but if you must you can just create a schedule job on their workstations to: 

net use * /delete

This will drop all network drive connections.

Or you can create a cron job on freenas to drop all connections over port 445 ever so often.

Your router wasn't behaving properly if people had to keep signing in over and over. This is either because the firewall rule drops a connection configured under timeouts or poorly implemented SMB.

15 minutes ago, Qrz said:

Thanks a lot for the reply.

It doesn't necessarily have to be every 1 hour. I kinda just want it to require a password every so often. So its not like, the users just have to enter the password once, and as long as the computer is on the password isn't required anymore.

I remember before switching to freenas. I just used a hard drive that is attached to my router via usb. At that time, I remember after some time (I don't remember the exact time), when the user tries to access the files again, it would require the user to enter username and password again..

I just want the same experience as before thats all. 

Thanks again.

Why not lock the screen on the workstations? That way no one can access anything on the systems when its locked. Locking just the share doesn't seem like a great idea. At my work, the shares are auto mounted at login, and its all tied to login, for security, your just force a lock screen..

Thank you guys for the replies. I think ill just do the lock screen option.