Should I upgrade my i5 4670k ?

Hi,

I currently have:

i5 4670k OC 4.3Ghz, 1.35v custom water-cooled

GTX 1080TI stock not water-cooled.

16GB RAM 1.6Ghz dual channel 

Asus asus maximus formula V1

Power supply Mastercooler 850V

As far I could understand from information online this would give around a  10% bottleneck depending on the game.

I do have a 144Hz screen and I do play MMO games so cpu usage is running 100% in most of these games and gpu is barely used. 

Should I try overclocking the cpu more as it rarely ever exceed 50c under synthetic benchmarks. Or should I buy a new motherboard, ram, cpu.

I do enjoy better response times over graphics Fidelity, but would the performance increase be worth the amount or money and time a system would cost?

Thanks for an response

The 1080ti will be bottlenecked by your CPU fairly significantly. I would definitely upgrade. If you can get a 4770k or 4790k I would go that route otherwise you will have to do a full platform upgrade of CPU/Mobo/RAM. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Cheapest I could get a 4790k is around 230USD, how big of a performance increase would you guess i could gain? 

What's the best performance for the cash cpu now a days?

5 minutes ago, ReapingName said:

Cheapest I could get a 4790k is around 230USD, how big of a performance increase would you guess i could gain? 

What's the best performance for the cash cpu now a days?

230? i can make a ryzen cpu+mobo setup for that

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $164.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $59.99 @ Newegg
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $234.88
  Mail-in rebates -$10.00
  Total $224.88
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-21 10:14 EDT-0400  

you'll need ddr4 ram with it though...

14 minutes ago, ReapingName said:

I do enjoy better response times over graphics Fidelity,

Response time is not determined by any PC specs, it's a monitor feature only. I believe you mean refresh rate.

14 minutes ago, ReapingName said:

As far I could understand from information online this would give around a  10% bottleneck depending on the game.

Sounds like you used the infamous Bottleneck Calculator, which is useless. Your bottleneck is likely far more severe, judging by the fact that you said your GPU is barely used.

15 minutes ago, ReapingName said:

Should I try overclocking the cpu more as it rarely ever exceed 50c under synthetic benchmarks.

Definitely do this first, your temps are good so improve CPU performance as much as you can before discerning the need to replace it. 4.3GHz is not so high.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

i would think about looking to upgrade the platform and maybe throw a old gpu  in this box and sell it down the road for good money still.

the unfortunate thing is i7 cpus don't drop in price as they age much its why its almost worth it to go all new intel or save alot of money money and build a cheap 6 core ryzen box 1600 is $80 new now B450 motherboard is $60-100 and ram is almost back to a good price $100 for 16gb of dd4 3200 g-skill.

13 minutes ago, jonrosalia said:

i would think about looking to upgrade the platform and maybe throw a old gpu  in this box and sell it down the road for good money still.

the unfortunate thing is i7 cpus don't drop in price as they age much its why its almost worth it to go all new intel or save alot of money money and build a cheap 6 core ryzen box 1600 is $80 new now B450 motherboard is $60-100 and ram is almost back to a good price $100 for 16gb of dd4 3200 g-skill.

do you really think a guy with  a 1080ti is looking to save money?

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

12 minutes ago, Srijan Verma said:

do you really think a guy with  a 1080ti is looking to save money?

yes we all are 1080ti isnt that expencive anymore if you hunt for one its available for $250+or-

I'm not talking about frametime latency, I want the hardware communication to have reduced latency for dpc audio and video streams. Aka I want workstation grade instead of gaming stuff.

I reduced the resolution to reduce the cpu usage and it was around 10% performance increase on the lowest resolution in most games I tried except MMO games.

Most games uses DX 11 that bottlenecks the cpu as theres a large api overhead junking up the cpu cycles increasing latency for executions on drawing frames causing reduced fps. This is issues for most MMO as direct 12 is Windows 10 only and World of Warcraft is the only game that has gotten dx12 support on Windows 7.

I got the 1080ti for 100usd it was used for bitcoin mining and the fan was broken. 

Is AMD viable in games that doesn't have a good mukticore optimization ? As before Intel had the best ipc (instructions per cycle) 

I want the best and cheapest hardware that allows me to save money, I don't have a budget but I don't want to waste money on unnecessary hardware. 

4 hours ago, ReapingName said:

Is AMD viable in games that doesn't have a good mukticore optimization ? As before Intel had the best ipc (instructions per cycle) 

I want the best and cheapest hardware that allows me to save money, I don't have a budget but I don't want to waste money on unnecessary hardware. 

Ryzen is nearly on par with Intel at the 2600X/i5 8400 level.  So pick which ever one you like the best get a solid motherboard and compatible RAM, 3200+ if you pick Ryzen, and you'll be good to go.   Which MMO are you playing?  If it's World of Warcraft I would get a CPU with very good single core performance since the game is terrible, even after they updated it to better use multicore CPUs, at using more than one thread.  I wonder if the game runs better on non-hyperthreaded CPU's.  I still get 60ish FPS in the most busy parts of the game with an i9 9900k and a 2080ti. The CPU has a single thread maxed out and the GPU is at 30% usage.