Need help adjusting back to console gaming

KingWookie

Hey everyone,

I've been a PC gamer for the last 7 years and I enjoy it very much but I also realized I've been missing out on a lot of great games most of which are on the PS4. I'm also becoming increasingly frustrated with where PC gaming is headed in general. Especially with third party exclusives being bought up by EPIC. So, I decided to go all out and buy a PS4 Pro with God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, and the Nathan Drake collection. When I fired up HZD I was impressed with the visuals but the fps was pretty brutal at least for me.

My PC is hooked up to a 1440p 144hz G-Sync panel so it's about as good as it can get in terms of input lag and general smoothness. I'm not trying to be some PCMR snob when I say the lower fps of the PS4 is jarring and takes me out of the experience. So I guess my question is does anyone have any recommendations to make the experience any better? I have a 5 year old Insignia 1080p TV I got from Best Buy for $300 and it's nothing special. Maybe a better TV would have technology built in to help smooth out what I'm noticing? Maybe it'll just take time to adjust? Any help of advice would be appreciated!

It's tough, yeah. The cinematic 24 fps of Bloodborne hurts but the game itself is just so excellent. I find that the more I play a game the easier it is to get into the console feel, if I really like the game the low fps starts to become a background thing.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

As im sure ur aware, Consoles dont exactly have much in the way of options to tune the gaming experience.

Now some games on the PS4 Pro do have an option to prioritize FPS over visuals, if those options are available, pick them, as you can almost guarantee that by default console games will target 30FPS, prioritizing FPS can in some games allow the console to aim for 60fps.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Outside of what the game may provide, there's nothing that'll help make the experience any better. What frames the console spits out and at whatever frame time is what frames you'll get. If anything, doing anything more than simply displaying the frame once it arrives will make the problem worse.

Ouch, I would imagine console games would look horrible on a 144Hz screen since most of them try to sync to a locked 30 fps (and Horizon does a great job at it from when I played it) but you couldn't sync that to a 144 Hz panel since 30 fps doesn't divide evenly into 144 fps. I'd imagine your PS4 would look a lot better on a display running at 60Hz or 120Hz.

1 hour ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Ouch, I would imagine console games would look horrible on a 144Hz screen since most of them try to sync to a locked 30 fps (and Horizon does a great job at it from when I played it) but you couldn't sync that to a 144 Hz panel since 30 fps doesn't divide evenly into 144 fps. I'd imagine your PS4 would look a lot better on a display running at 60Hz or 120Hz.

I don't think the PS4 even allows for any refresh rate above 60 Hz, which will cause the display to refresh at 60 Hz or whatever the PS4 changes it to.

3 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

I don't think the PS4 even allows for any refresh rate above 60 Hz, which will cause the display to refresh at 60 Hz or whatever the PS4 changes it to.

I'm not familiar with 144 Hz monitors. Do they usually have 60 Hz display modes?

Not really much you can do but sit down and play. I think what might help is playing less action oriented games that have lower framerates to start with. Stuff like a turn based RPG or something. Also, a better TV might help, but motion/frame interpolation will not help. It'll look even more jarring and cause input lag. It's always best to just run a TV in game mode if it has it.

Remember, the PS4 Pro has a boost option for games to run smoother that don't have Pro enhancements and some games that do have Pro enhancements might offer the option to run at "4K"30 or 1080p60.

As someone who goes back and forth on the regular, I just sucked it up and got used to it. I mean, I had to put up with that crap on PC 15 years ago when I was too broke to have a PC worth a crap so I can just do it again. What's funny though is Destiny 2 at 1440p 75Hz ruined playing on the PS4 for me (have friends on PS4 to play with) but I would NEVER run The Last of Us in the 60FPS mode. It would just look so wrong for such a cinematic game.