New Evolv Shift build.. Or?

KWelz

So I am planning a living room Gaming PC for my new house.   

Currently this is my parts list 

I already own the Memory and display, along with other needed peripherals.  

The real concern though for me is temps with this sized build since there doesn't seem to be a better cooler I can use.  

Alternatively I was thinking about just picking up an X602

https://www.microcenter.com/product/600164/x602-fluid-gaming-desktop-pc?ob=1

While a bit larger and flashier than I want the temps would undoubtable be lower.  

Thoughts?

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

If you are just gaming, a 760p would provide no noticeable benefit over a cheaper 660p. Additionally, I personally feel that the B450I Gaming motherboard is a better choice due to the better powerstages on the VRM. The L9x65 will be able to cool that CPU, but if you want the best performance in that case, you could consider a H80i (costs more, louder, but will have better cooling when maxed out). 

32 minutes ago, Alphyte said:

If you are just gaming, a 760p would provide no noticeable benefit over a cheaper 660p. Additionally, I personally feel that the B450I Gaming motherboard is a better choice due to the better powerstages on the VRM. The L9x65 will be able to cool that CPU, but if you want the best performance in that case, you could consider a H80i (costs more, louder, but will have better cooling when maxed out). 

Im 90% sure the x470 and the b450i have the same mosfets and inductors.

Hmm.  Maybe I should consider the Shift X so I can use my Kraken X52.  

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

32 minutes ago, KWelz said:

Hmm.  Maybe I should consider the Shift X so I can use my Kraken X52.  

You could keep your tower choice and go with this for better gaming performance while being cheaper and cooler:

The 9400F beats the 2700x (even OCed) in a majority of games (I can provide sources for that if you wish). The stock cooler is sufficient enough for gaming loads or you can keep the Noctua you already picked for even better cooling. The 9600K is also cheaper than the 2700x if you wanted to go that route for a little more (no stock cooler, though, but that Noctua is sufficient).

2 hours ago, Firewrath9 said:

Im 90% sure the x470 and the b450i have the same mosfets and inductors.

The Strix B450I and X470I do, but the MSI B450I Gaming uses IR3555s rather than the IR3553s found on the strix boards

13 hours ago, Alphyte said:

The Strix B450I and X470I do, but the MSI B450I Gaming uses IR3555s rather than the IR3553s found on the strix boards

Sure, the mosfets might be better, but the strix heatsink is bigger, and the mosfets are more spread apart on the b450i and the x470i.

Well a few plans changed.   

I decided on a 2600X instead of the 2700X.  This is a secondary computer and I didn't need a 8C/16T processor.  Heck even the 2600X is overkill but I didn't want to go any lower.  

I also managed to snag an EVGA 2080 XC for $615.  This was too good of a deal to pass up.  It gives me better performance for an even lower price.  I also replaced the stock fan with a Noctua and added a second to the bottom.  Lots of positive pressure, but hopefully it will help keep it cool.  

So here is the final build.   All and all not bad for the intended purpose.   And the build was a welcome relief from moving.  Although I will say this case is a bit more challenging than most cases I am used too working in.  

9b21f413-f992-4e1e-a34f-45184529553e.thumb.jpg.ad1fea00b1116e348a6892907bfd6e49.jpg

01e5cf32-9147-4e3c-9f8a-79614d9be718.thumb.jpg.bb7c0b099c91154054ce8ac9c1a8a965.jpg

Forgive the lack of Cable management.  I was running out of time. 

• 4 weeks later...

How did that build work out? How is the temperatures with air cooling?

4 hours ago, eXtas said:

How did that build work out? How is the temperatures with air cooling?

Build turned out really good.  It performs very well even in AAA games.  

Temps are a bit higher than I would like but that is the nature of the beast with this case.  Idle temps are around 50C and Load temps under Cinebench R20 are 80C.  Although obviously it doesn't get this hot in gaming.