Plex media server managed users and LiveTV/DVR

I have a plex server running on Windows 10. Its the latest stable build. Any who I have the 4 tuner HD Homerun. FOr the most part it works great, it records and all that good shit. The issue is I have two manged users and they dont have access to Live TV or DVR. They can see my libraries, and I do have the option allowing them to access the LiveTV and DVR checked, but they still have no access. One of the users is using Roku sticks, one is an older mdoel the other is the 4K streaming stick. The other user is on a newer Fire Stick. I can confirm that on the Roku's I have access to the Live TV function but the other users do not. Checked this on both Roku sticks. Also accessing plex thru the web browser gives the same results. Any ideas? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

I have a plex server running on Windows 10. Its the latest stable build. Any who I have the 4 tuner HD Homerun. FOr the most part it works great, it records and all that good shit. The issue is I have two manged users and they dont have access to Live TV or DVR. They can see my libraries, and I do have the option allowing them to access the LiveTV and DVR checked, but they still have no access. One of the users is using Roku sticks, one is an older mdoel the other is the 4K streaming stick. The other user is on a newer Fire Stick. I can confirm that on the Roku's I have access to the Live TV function but the other users do not. Checked this on both Roku sticks. Also accessing plex thru the web browser gives the same results. Any ideas? 

I just checked, with a managed user in the Roku app I can view the guide and stream video. Try going to “User’s name” > “Reset Home Navigation”.

If I go to settings from any user in the Roku app, in the upper right corner my version is 6.3.5.5679-66bbf7308-Plex

As of this time only the admin user can make, manage, or even see that recordings are set up.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

6 hours ago, brwainer said:

I just checked, with a managed user in the Roku app I can view the guide and stream video. Try going to “User’s name” > “Reset Home Navigation”.

If I go to settings from any user in the Roku app, in the upper right corner my version is 6.3.5.5679-66bbf7308-Plex

As of this time only the admin user can make, manage, or even see that recordings are set up.

I did that yesterday and no dice. I even created a new user called test. No access either, even those the settings are set. I even went a step further and uninstalled the Plex app and reinstalled the plex app on the Roku. 

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I did that yesterday and no dice. I even created a new user called test. No access either, even those the settings are set. I even went a step further and uninstalled the Plex app and reinstalled the plex app on the Roku. 

So is the Plex server and the Roku app up to date?

Just curious, if on their rokue device they switch to your account - does it work then? Are they physicall at your house?

6 hours ago, Mikensan said:

Just curious, if on their rokue device they switch to your account - does it work then? Are they physicall at your house?

If they use my profile they have full access. Yes all devices are in the same home. The Plex server if connected directly to the router via Ethernet. The streaming sticks are connected via WiFi. 

8 hours ago, brwainer said:

So is the Plex server and the Roku app up to date?

The plex server was just updated a few days ago and the roku I uninstall the app and reinstalled it. 

14 hours ago, Donut417 said:

If they use my profile they have full access. Yes all devices are in the same home. The Plex server if connected directly to the router via Ethernet. The streaming sticks are connected via WiFi. 

The plex server was just updated a few days ago and the roku I uninstall the app and reinstalled it. 

So it definitely seems more of a "permission" issue since your account works on the same device(s). Just to solidify this idea, if you log in via a browser and use their account - they still do not have access to the livetv / dvr correct? (Just elminating hardware/firmware as a problem)

I've never setup livetv or dvr - quickly looking at the setting it states you must have a DVR library and that specific library must be shared with the user. So have you both checked the share TV box as well as shared the DVR library?

9 hours ago, Mikensan said:

So it definitely seems more of a "permission" issue since your account works on the same device(s). Just to solidify this idea, if you log in via a browser and use their account - they still do not have access to the livetv / dvr correct? (Just elminating hardware/firmware as a problem)

I've never setup livetv or dvr - quickly looking at the setting it states you must have a DVR library and that specific library must be shared with the user. So have you both checked the share TV box as well as shared the DVR library?

I figured it out. It seems the built in updater on the server doesnt grab the latest and greatest version. I found out I needed the current version to make it work. So I downloaded and reinstalled the Plex Server app. It now works. It just boggles the mind that the server software has a built in updater BUT does not keep the server up to date. Also the DVR puts the stuff in the TV Shows library. I looked at the settings and it seems that cant be changed. Not really a big deal, as I got shows on DVD and from other sources in the same library. 

4 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I figured it out. It seems the built in updater on the server doesnt grab the latest and greatest version. I found out I needed the current version to make it work. So I downloaded and reinstalled the Plex Server app. It now works. It just boggles the mind that the server software has a built in updater BUT does not keep the server up to date. Also the DVR puts the stuff in the TV Shows library. I looked at the settings and it seems that cant be changed. Not really a big deal, as I got shows on DVD and from other sources in the same library. 

I haven’t run Plex Server on Windows in a while but I never had an update issue like that. One thing to check is Settings > General > Server Update Channel. Beta is available to Plex Pass only and gets new features faster. It used to be called the “Plex Pass” channel.

When you make each recording task, you can choose what library it will use. Movies have to go to a Movie type library, TV Shows have to go to a TV type library. This is the “Add to Library” option, and it will remember whatever you last chose. So I have a DVR - TV and DVR - Movie library, and recordings go to those.

EDIT: I was just checking the release announcements, and 1.15.4 says that it adds the ability to give Home Users DVR Access. Wooo!