CPU upgrade for Dell Optiplex 390

Go to solution Solved by Sat1600,
4 minutes ago, Chambersofsecret said:

Fortnite & task manager

That doesn't necessarily mean that the CPU is the bottleneck. I just realized that you are using an OEM machine. Is it a small form factor? If it is than the best GPU you can get is a 1050ti. 

You need to update the bios if you haven't yet. Alternatively you might be able to exchange it for an i7 2600.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

• 1 month later...

I just got in a 3470 , already flashed it to A14 and it didn't work either.  

Hi.
I also have a similar question
I decided to upgrade my computer and bought an i5-3330 processor for it, I updated the BIOS to version A14, but the computer does not start. Maybe need to switch something on the motherboard ??

• 7 months later...

Is there any way that I can upgrade from i5 2500 to e3 1240 v2 on optiplex 390.

Please tell me the solution. i7 is out of my range.

• 1 year later...

Old post I know...but I was searching for an answer to this question too! I have previously updated BIOS tr A14....was able to boot with an i5 2500K; rebooted with an i7 3770....should work...but d8idn't, went back to 2500K.

But was able to pick up a cheap i7 2600 and it DOES work in the 390 with an A14 BIOS update.

No Ivy Bridge CPUs will boot...had also tried an i5 3570 before...as well I have seen some posts that claim 2600K and 2700K do work...I cannot confirm and personally was not willing to pay the excess cost of buying and trying...maybe if someone manages an upgrade with either of the 2 top Sandy Bridge CPUs in a 390...they'll add some more info here for future references...