Microsoft Exchange Server v Synology Mail plus server

Vino99

Hi, i recently brought a synology nas in order to set up an email server for my business due to godaddys extortionate prices, but this option seemed too risky as confidential information needed to be stored on the server and synology offers very little support on how to set it up without a static ip . I came across exchange server from microsoft and now i want to know whether it seems a worthwhile investment. 

Go with Exchange Online. It's cheap, reliable and doesn't require any on prem infrastructure. Don't go with Exchange on prem as it will also need a static IP to work properly and is very costly in both license cost and need for a beefy server.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Running a production mail server with a dynamic IP is a headache and a half. I would recommend you reconsider.

Something I did, when I had decided I really want to keep my personal mail server at home was install a VPN client on it and tunnel to a cheap VPS running OpenVPN server and port forwarded 25,587 and 993 to the static VPN client address of the mail server.

It looks like godaddy charges $10/mo for the first five mailboxes and an $2 per extra mailbox. 

Gsuite and Office365 do cost more than this but they are actually pretty good services unlike anything offered by Godaddy. 

O365 with the basic office suite is $8.25/user/mo (web-only $5/user/mo). However, the value proposition is there if you want to use MS Office on your computers as well. Consider that the consumer version of o365 does not come with Exchange Online costs $5.75/mo. 

Intel 11700K - Gigabyte 3080 Ti- Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro - Sabrent Rocket NVME - Corsair 16GB DDR4

Exchange is an animal. A bad install or a bad upgrade will wreck your AD that even a new exchange server won't fix the issue. Worth your time to let Microsoft/Google handle it.

I like both, I've used Outlook on Android and gmail on android, and both work great. The office365 outlook is very clean and easy to use, same for gmail's web interface. Both support 2FA as well.