AMD Posts Profit But Warns on Revenue

nicehat

800px-amd_logosvg.png

AMD swung to a profit in the fourth quarter. However, the company also projected a decline in revenue for the first quarter. For the current quarter, AMD expects revenue to be about 16% less than the latest period, plus or minus 3%. Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters were expecting revenue of $1.36 billion. For the fourth quarter, AMD reported a profit of $89 million, or 12 cents a share, compared with a year-earlier loss of $473 million, or 63 cents a share. Excluding restructuring and other charges and amortization, the company reported a per-share profit of six cents, compared with a loss of 14 cents a share a year earlier. Analysts were expecting a per-share profit of five cents. Sales jumped 38% to $1.59 billion, topping the company's October projection for about $1.53 billion, which was slightly more than market expectations at the time. So as AMD actually turns a profit, could this be the turn around that everyone thought would never happen? What do you think about the next quarter? Up from today? or down? Why?

http://ir.amd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=74093&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1892414&highlight=

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

Meh its like cisco never going to go anywhere it been going up cent going down two cents...

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

Down.

Ok..why?

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

Ok..why?

Because that's what has happened nearly every time AMD has posted an ER. Regardless of whether it was positive or negative. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I just don't find that it'd be wise to invest right now since this is like one of the only breaks amd has gotten, then I bet it will fall.

Diamond 5 in League :)

Because that's what has happened nearly every time AMD has posted an ER. Regardless of whether it was positive or negative. 

Yes but this is the first quarter that they have posted a profit that was within expectations. The question is, will AMD beat expectations or will it meet them? Traditionally, when AMD beats out the analysts, (profits or losses) it continues to rise - as it did this time last year when it beat expectations in its posted loss. 

It seems like they've gotten costs under control and they have products people actually want to buy. The 6000 series and 7000 series early on were very lackluster, and at the same time their chips couldn't compete with Intel's performance. Now they have APUs that people want for small builds and graphics cards that gamers and coin miners want to buy. I think things are looking up for AMD but they are certainly not out of the woods yet, but they're far from bankruptcy and I think they're headed in the right direction.

As for the stock price, that means very little. Investors can be very finicky about companies seen as riskier like AMD, so even a net profit will likely be ignored in the face of declining revenue.

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

To be honest, this will be because of the success of their GPUs, not CPUs. 

Their GPUs have been doing very well, giving nVidia a run for their money and having recently become popular due to cryptocurrency mining. 

Their CPUs are still rubbish. 

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

Based on the past i think they will bounce back and forth. they will fall behind then catch back up and maybe pull ahead a bit then theyll falter again. only time will tell

How is it that with Microsoft and Sony doing so well with their consoles, AMD is doing poorly? wouldnt AMD be making major bank?

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

Ugh, I actually bought 4000 shares of AMD just before closing, basically all my savings in the account. Expected AMD to go up a lot soon thanks to consoles, crypto-currency and I admit, because I kept hearing Linus gush over their innovations recently. Instead it's down 11% after hours. Probably shouldn't be using Linus as a financial consultant. lol

Oh well, I still like what AMD's doing so I'm going to hang in there for a year or so and see how it goes. $4 seems really, really low and 100% of all stocks I've sold have ended up going back up later so I wouldn't be surprised if AMD does too eventually. If not . . I'm afraid I may be homeless soon.  :unsure:

Ugh, I actually bought 4000 shares of AMD just before closing, basically all my savings in the account. Expected AMD to go up a lot soon thanks to consoles, crypto-currency and I admit, because I kept hearing Linus gush over their innovations recently. Instead it's down 11% after hours. Probably shouldn't be using Linus as a financial consultant. lol

Oh well, I still like what AMD's doing so I'm going to hang in there for a year or so and see how it goes. $4 seems really, really low and 100% of all stocks I've sold have ended up going back up later so I wouldn't be surprised if AMD does too eventually. If not . . I'm afraid I may be homeless soon.  :unsure:

competing in a major market with only two competitors (Nvidia and Intel) its hard for any of the 3 companies to consistently stay on top with each releasing "revolutionary" new technology every year. I say hold on and see where things go.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

The console money will only really start to show up in the 2014 Q1 report.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I hope it good news for AMD, I want a PC future where AMD are still an option for those who can't afford high end Intel chips
and it keeps companies like Intel & Nvidia on their feet as far as research goes.

I don't think cross fire and driver problems have help them much, but buying ATI has put them ahead with the APU.
I would of thought they would do better, as more people buy laptop and the APU in the laptop market, but I guess I was wrong there.

AMD really do need to work on their marketing, you mention Intel and every one knows who they are, even if they're not interested in
computers and PC parts. Which make it harder to sell a AMD based laptop to some one that knows near to nothing about PC's

Doesn't help, with all the different version and sockets for both Intel and AMD on the market.
Most laptops are bought on a budget, I most people don't even know what inside. 
eg somebody thinking their laptop great because it an Intel & you point out it's a Celeron, which Intel still seem to sell :(

I can see why AMD are ditching the AM3+ platform, makes sense, specially since they'll be selling APU's with the new flavours of consoles.
cheaper manufacturing. They are going in the right direction :) lets hope it stays that way

Doesn't help, with all the different version and sockets for both Intel and AMD on the market.

Most laptops are bought on a budget, I most people don't even know what inside. 

eg somebody thinking their laptop great because it an Intel & you point out it's a Celeron, which Intel still seem to still sell :(

Sandy bridge Celeron's aren't that bad if all you do is take notes for school, you can sometimes find AMD quad cores for cheaper in laptops but like you said people tend to go with Intel.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

To be honest, this will be because of the success of their GPUs, not CPUs. 

Their GPUs have been doing very well, giving nVidia a run for their money and having recently become popular due to cryptocurrency mining. 

Their CPUs are still rubbish. 

not to cause a shit storm, but when the 8350 beats out even a 3770K, how exactly can you say they are rubbish?

My System

CPU - 3570K@4.4Ghz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100 in pull | Motherboard - ASUS P8Z77-V PRO | RAM - G.Skill RipJawX Blue 8GB 2133Mhz | GPU - Gigabyte Windforce X3 HD7970 | SSD - Patriot Pyro SE 120GB | HDD Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU - Corsair TX850V2 | Case - Bitfenix Shinobi XL 

well my next/first low-end gaming pc will be an AMD APU so uh, ill be buying from AMD lol. 

Against All Odds pc build

AMD Athlon II x4 750k///MSI A55m E33///Kingston hyper x blue 8gb (2x4)///corsair cx430///EVGA GTX 750 SC///Rosewill FBM 01///Samsung EVO 850 120gb///Windows 8.1///Corsair Raptor k40

How is it that with Microsoft and Sony doing so well with their consoles, AMD is doing poorly? wouldnt AMD be making major bank?

AMD sells their chips to microsoft and sony at just above cost, if not at a loss

My System

CPU - 3570K@4.4Ghz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100 in pull | Motherboard - ASUS P8Z77-V PRO | RAM - G.Skill RipJawX Blue 8GB 2133Mhz | GPU - Gigabyte Windforce X3 HD7970 | SSD - Patriot Pyro SE 120GB | HDD Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU - Corsair TX850V2 | Case - Bitfenix Shinobi XL 

Of course that could turn around and I think it will. Speaking in terms of all innovative technology NVidia presented on 2014 CES, AMD it's just not the right choice for companies who want to imply certain technology to cars, etc. Besides, Kaveri it's shown to be a "beast" by AMD which is mostly what happens every time they come up with a new chip, "Hyperbole". They exaggerate  what they're bringing and leaves everyone disappointed. I don't really believe we're going to see such 45% performance improve when Mantle comes as well. And with Maxwell just around the corner, if prices on current 700 series GTX drop, AMD has no shot. 

2020:AMD Ryzen 3900X | XFX 5700XT | 2TB m.2 | 32GBDDR4 @ 3200MHz | Corsair CX750M | ASUS X570 Strix | NZXT H100

2013:AMD FX-8350 @ 4.62GHz ~ 5.2GHz | XFX R9 290X 2x Crossfire | (x4) 2TB HDDs in RAID1 | 16GBDDR3 @ 1866MHz | GS800 | NZXT 810

The stock already went up 30% +in Dec. People already expect AMD to have a good quarter. You are simply too late to the party. Smart money is always one step earlier. 

I'm wondering if Mantle will have an effect on the market. But if it is as some say on this thread (I'm not that versed in stocks) and the value has sort of peaked and will continue to drop and rise within the same range of points

I can blame it on one thing, and that's the R7 series. If anything is a drop in revenue it has to be the R7 series. To quote Linus: Why were they ever made? They're useless. Sure, some have a small form factor, but most people who want that small a form factor will go for something like a NUC and the performance be damned.

So, yeah. I hope Mantle will be a good move for them but I think most likely that the R7 series will not be selling as well. I asked a guy working in a PC shop down the road here, and he was adamant about these cards. "Why did the higher ups decide to clutter my shelves with THIS?!" If you've lost the salesman you've lost the sale (unless, you know, they're shady salesman).

So up, down, as long as one comes after the other... over and over again *smirk* Baum-chika-wauwa!

Thoroughness rating
#########