Will the APU be the death of the GPU ?

Liam-Wabbit

Will the APU eventually be the end of the desktop gaming grade graphic card as we know it ?

For me, I'm pro APU, I can see it future as  a small form factor PC's and for cooling,
but will the graphic card be like the old 386/486 based machine where you had a card for you printer
port and a card for the hard drive or floppy disk ect

I'm running a water cooled 660ti just purely because the APU option hasn't reached the level of graphics I'm happy with,
though I do use a APU for a Media machine.

Is the APU the way forward for say, rumoured steam box. (for me, yes) 
I can see the benefits of APU's as you're powering & cooling 1 chip/die
how ever they're still lacking in the graphics department, as PC gaming

What will happen with the companies in the future ?

Will AMD be on top, will PC's be running a version of Nvidia Tegra in the future as some form of hi end Nvidia APU option.
where will Intel be ? not forgetting the companies that market the graphic cards ? as in theory, you'd be buying one chip.  

let us know what you think ?

(Tip don't go to curry's (UK based firm) for laptops, women trying to sell me any version of Intel as a better form of laptop, when I went in to buy a APU laptop, because my mothers games)   I hate with a passion when companies give misinformation just to sell more of one product over another ! Bad Curry's !     AMD APU make a really good Laptop option for those who like playing the odd game (my opinion)
Don't ask a employee from a company like Curry's for advice, specially when is based on what they want to sell, not what you want !

Not for a looooong time my friend.

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

I highly doubt it for now. Maybe in the future but then again we want more powerful cores than a more powerful APU.

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Much like how we still have dedicated sound cards I think we'll always have dedicated graphics cards. However the need for a graphics card will be pushed more and more towards the enthusiasts and video editors rather than anyone who wants to play games.

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

not until the Bling effect of Crossfire/SLI goes away.

Edit: WATERCOOLED Crossfire/SLI

The future will be probably an all-in-one Mini-PC, without interchangeable parts. Or a PC part that handles everything at once, including CPU/GPU/RAM/Storage etc. Just my guess.

CPU: i7-4770k (LM modded) - MB: GA-Z87X-UD3H - RAM: HyperX, 16GB 1866MHz - GPU: Palit GTX 980Ti Super - Storage: 1TB HDD + 500GB/120GB SSD (850 Evo/840) - Monitor: Predator XB271HU - PSU: 700W BeQuiet 80+ Gold

Only when I can install two APUs in the same system.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

Will the APU eventually be the end of the desktop gaming grade graphic card as we know it ?

For me, I'm pro APU, I can see it future as  a small form factor PC's and for cooling,

but will the graphic card be like the old 386/486 based machine where you had a card for you printer

port and a card for the hard drive or floppy disk ect

I'm running a water cooled 660ti just purely because the APU option hasn't reached the level of graphics I'm happy with,

though I do use a APU for a Media machine.

Is the APU the way forward for say, rumoured steam box. (for me, yes) 

I can see the benefits of APU's as you're powering & cooling 1 chip/die

how ever they're still lacking in the graphics department, as PC gaming

What will happen with the companies in the future ?

Will AMD be on top, will PC's be running a version of Nvidia Tegra in the future as some form of hi end Nvidia APU option.

where will Intel be ? not forgetting the companies that market the graphic cards ? as in theory, you'd be buying one chip.  

let us know what you think ?

(Tip don't go to curry's (UK based firm) for laptops, women trying to sell me any version of Intel as a better form of laptop, when I went in to buy a APU laptop, because my mothers games)   I hate with a passion when companies give misinformation just to sell more of one product over another ! Bad Curry's !     AMD APU make a really good Laptop option for those who like playing the odd game (my opinion)

Don't ask a employee from a company like Curry's for advice, specially when is based on what they want to sell, not what you want !

Have you seen any custom loop APU rigs? I haven't, but would be interested to see how the 7850K overclocks. From what I understand is, right now, the performance is similar to a 7750/70 with crippled memory bandwidth. My brother is running a 7870 in an FM2+ mobo with Athlon 2 x4. He needs to go APU for the fact that the 750K Athlon is slow.

If I upgrade my son to Kaveri, I'm hoping for closer performance to my brother's rig for less $ spent. His 6600K runs BF4 on low settings 720p at 60fps. (His monitor is only 720p native.)

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

Not now but possibly in a while.

My rigs

Spoiler

Desktop CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.4GHz cooled by a Corsair H105 | Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 | RAM: 32GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 SC3 Ultra Gaming | SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Crutial M500 240GB + Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM + WB Black 4TB 7200RPM | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C | Mouse: Logitech G402 & MX Master | Keyboard: Poker II  MX Blue & Leopold 10-key pad Box Royals | Monitor: LG 34UB88-P | Audio: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 + FiiO E5 DAC + Rode NT-USB Mini

Laptop Lenovo Yoga 720 4k Touch

Multicore APU sort defeats the object of having more than one socket one a mainboard, but I know what you mean.
The hobbyist PC self builder will always be there

Guys I'm talking about "in the Future, APU vs GPU's on a card" not the present. I'm sure that how I worded it ?  
We all know as it stand APU aren't there, Yet ! 

The mainboard would have to update what type of memory we can install before AMD's APU or APU's in general become a real gaming option 

I personally think that APU's have a long way to go before they make a true break into the enthusiasts scope.  I for one have no interest in them strictly speaking in terms of gaming.  However, the point was made that usage for HTPC's and other small form factor computers matched the APU's ticket perfectly.  I agree with this, when you're confined on space, heat, power, etc, they are you're all in one, go to solution to stream/transcode those 1080p mkv files to your tv.  I think everyone needs to keep in mind that the market forces revolving around consoles being built with these can create a greater push for more APU performance increase.  Simply put, you will want that power hungry, 2 slot, beast of number crunching, graphics card, for the time being.

I think it will be the future one day. I think that future is not going to be all that soon. You will see less and less graphic card options, as the integrated graphics get better. This means in the near future, real budget gaming will eventually be on an APU with no dedicated card, but high end gaming will use cards for quite some time.

I think the APU will impact dedicated GPU's just the same as cloud gaming will, it's all hypothetical. The APU has it's use, such as the gigabyte BRIX which employs IRIS technology or the A10-7850k, that is in small form factor pc's.

NO. i dont think so! atleast not on the enthusiast tier!

PC 1: CPU: i5 12600k     GPU: RTX 4080     MOTHERBOARD: Asus B650M-A D4       RAM: 16x4 DDR4 3200       POWERSUPPLY: EVGA 650 G6  

SSD: WD Black gen 4 x2 + Crucial MX 500 x2           

KEYBOARD: Keychron K4    MOUSE: Logitech G502 SE Hero   MOUSE PAD: Goliathus control XL   MONITOR: Alienware AW3423DW + LG 25UM58 + Dell 24"  Speakers: Edifier R1280T + SVS PB1000

Laptop: M1 MacBook Pro 16                     

I've change my opinion on this, no and APUs will always be inferior because AMD would be shooting themselves in the foot.

Who would buy a amd GPU when an APU is better