Having a ruff time with GRUB bootloader

Go to solution Solved by SilverSoul,

Firstly I have a few questions/comments of my own:

1. Can you please show us your mountpoints?
  2. Windows is not installed on a ext4 partition, it's on the NTFS one you formatted (oops?)

You need to reinstall GRUB:

1. chroot into your system from a live USB.
  2. mount both the Linux partition to /mnt and the boot partition to /mnt/boot
  3. reinstall GRUB.

if you don't know how to install grub for UEFI then use the command below. Keep in mind that --efi-directory is the refers to the directory holding the EFI directory. So in the command below it will install GRUB to /Boot/EFI and not /Boot. Make sure you have the os-prober package installed.

install-grub --bootloader-id=Grub-Fixed --efi-directory=/Boot --target=x86_64-efi

Once you fix GRUB you can add a menu entry to boot into Android.

EDIT: The proper way to fix this is to refresh your grub configuration or check the grub.cfg file yourself, but a reinstall will be fine.

Helo,there I am having trouble with GRUB bootloader it worked before I installed Android X86. The grub bootloader says "Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB list possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions," I am not looking into a UEFI flash my laptop is a Lenovo Thinkpad 110 from Mexico. I can still boot into Windows via the bios bootloader and live USB also anybody know why Windows has a ext4 partition? If you need pictures of gpart also EasyBCD won't work because it UEFI.

20190407_194732.jpg

15546846728744503917909799074305.jpg

15546847428938542774809207806563.jpg

Also I am not looking to transfer to MBR

On 4/8/2019 at 4:41 PM, Ian Goppert said:

First off why did you install Android X86 on a HDD that already had two operating systems, second this is why I don't dual boot. But seriously if you haven't fixed your problem I think this will help. https://itsfoss.com/fix-minimal-bash-line-editing-supported-grub-error-linux/

Also the boot repair this still does not work

45 minutes ago, thaymcalol said:

Also the boot repair this still does not work

Well, then I do not know how to help you, sorry I could not help more.

9 hours ago, Ian Goppert said:

Well, then I do not know how to help you, sorry I could not help more.

Do I also remove the usb that it is running from?

3 hours ago, thaymcalol said:

Do I also remove the usb that it is running from?

I am not totally sure what your asking, but if your done with the live boot then you remove the usb and restart the system

Right, if the boot repair guide didn't work (you haven't posted to say that the problem has been resolved), I would suggest chrooting into your install from a live USB and then reinstalling GRUB.  This is the guide I have used a few times in the past (admittedly for BIOS not UEFI systems) when I have broken my GRUB install: https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Restore_the_GRUB_Bootloader

Bare in mind that the guide there is for Manjaro, so not all of it will be completely applicable (i.e. package manager commands).

On 4/15/2019 at 8:56 AM, Koeshi said:

Right, if the boot repair guide didn't work (you haven't posted to say that the problem has been resolved), I would suggest chrooting into your install from a live USB and then reinstalling GRUB.  This is the guide I have used a few times in the past (admittedly for BIOS not UEFI systems) when I have broken my GRUB install: https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Restore_the_GRUB_Bootloader

Bare in mind that the guide there is for Manjaro, so not all of it will be completely applicable (i.e. package manager 

No it has not have been fixed yet, so do I need to go fetch Manjaro iso and fix it thru that even though I dont have a Manjaro install Also I deleted the partion that Andorid X86 was on [sda5].

On 4/10/2019 at 11:31 AM, Ian Goppert said:

I am not totally sure what your asking, but if your done with the live boot then you remove the usb and restart the system

What I mean was when the live os was running from for the Boot repair and it did not give me commands to enter in the Terminal

On 4/22/2019 at 8:07 PM, thaymcalol said:

so do I need to go fetch Manjaro iso and fix it thru that even though I dont have a Manjaro install

No, I just meant that the general commands should be applicable, but not to try from a Manjaro boot.  I don't think there is a reason why you wouldn't be able to do the same from an Ubuntu image and just replace anything that is Arch/Manjaro related (such as pacman and mhwd) with appropriate Debian/Ubuntu material.  That said I haven't tried it myself, so it would be up to you whether you want to give it a go.  Really I would recommend asking on the Ubuntu community forums as they will have more specific knowledge: https://ubuntuforums.org/

• 4 weeks later...

Firstly I have a few questions/comments of my own:

1. Can you please show us your mountpoints?
  2. Windows is not installed on a ext4 partition, it's on the NTFS one you formatted (oops?)

You need to reinstall GRUB:

1. chroot into your system from a live USB.
  2. mount both the Linux partition to /mnt and the boot partition to /mnt/boot
  3. reinstall GRUB.

if you don't know how to install grub for UEFI then use the command below. Keep in mind that --efi-directory is the refers to the directory holding the EFI directory. So in the command below it will install GRUB to /Boot/EFI and not /Boot. Make sure you have the os-prober package installed.

install-grub --bootloader-id=Grub-Fixed --efi-directory=/Boot --target=x86_64-efi

Once you fix GRUB you can add a menu entry to boot into Android.

EDIT: The proper way to fix this is to refresh your grub configuration or check the grub.cfg file yourself, but a reinstall will be fine.