Wiping Drives

Electro_XD
Go to solution Solved by ddennis002,

Just a simple format of each of the drives will take care of that when you go to reinstall windows.

Follow these steps. This will wipe all data from the drives. Make sure you save anything you want to keep to USB or Cloud.

Step 1:

If the entire hard drive not show as unallocated space, then delete all partitions on the hard drive until it's unallocated (see screenshot below). Select a partition and click on the "Delete" option for each partition. Do this for each of the drives you have installed.

Click image for larger version.   Name: Unallocated space.png  Views: 92  Size: 18.9 KB  ID: 116653

Step 2:

- Option 1:

Click on the "Next" button. The installation of Windows 10 will begin. All the required partitions are created automatically during the install.

- Option 2:

Select the "New" and "Apply" buttons.

Click image for larger version.   Name: Select the New and Apply buttons.png  Views: 89  Size: 27.0 KB  ID: 116657

Click image for larger version.   Name: Windows might create additional partitions for system files.png  Views: 92  Size: 33.3 KB  ID: 116655

Click image for larger version.   Name: GPT.png  Views: 92  Size: 24.6 KB  ID: 116656

Click on the "Next" button. The installation of Windows 10 will begin.

Hello, I'm looking to wipe all of my drives on my computer, what software should I use? 

I have an NVME SSD (500GB), SSD (250GB) and a HDD (3TB)

I tried using window's wiping feature and my old operating system is still on it. 

Thanks 

Are you wiping to sell for just for a complete fresh start?

If your looking to do a secure wipe, or basic 0 wipe.

http://www.diskwipe.org/

Internet Connection

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @ 4.3Ghz | Asus Prime X470-Pro | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8GB) DDR-4 3000Mhz OC'd @ 3400Mhz 16-20-20-38 |

EVGA RTX 2070 8GB XC Gaming OC @ 2145Mhz Boosted/ 1925Mhz Memory | WD SN750 500GB M.2 NVME | Gigabye 240GB SSD | 
XSPC EX 360mm | Corsair XC7 RGB CPU WB | EK-Vector RTX 2080 | Alphacool Eisbecher D5 150mm Plexi | XSPC Fittings | XSPC FLX Clear 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD |
Corsair LL120 x6 | Corsair RM750x White 2018 | Corsair Commander Pro | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE | Corsair RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion |
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 | Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless 18,000DPI | Acer 32" 4K 60Hz HDR600 Cert. ET322QK CBMIIPZX |

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

PC Parts Picker Link to Build

Network

Netgear LBR20 LTE Router | Verizon Unlimited Prepaid Hotspot Plan

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

Rasberry Pi 4 Running Pihole

Linksys Velop 3 Mesh Wifi AP's

1 minute ago, ddennis002 said:

Are you wiping to sell for just for a complete fresh start?

If your looking to do a secure wipe, or basic 0 wipe.

http://www.diskwipe.org/

I'm wiping cuz I think my computer has a virus or something as it's a bit buggy recently. A fresh start would be nice too. Do I need to run windows to run that? I'm looking for something like a redkey alternative.  

That software requires windows.

Are you on a prebuilt/laptop or custom build?

If your installing from scratch, when you boot into windows setup you can format each of the drives there, that would be the easiest in that aspect. You really don't need 0 wipe unless your getting rid of the drives or say if a HDD has issues with sectors.

Internet Connection

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @ 4.3Ghz | Asus Prime X470-Pro | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8GB) DDR-4 3000Mhz OC'd @ 3400Mhz 16-20-20-38 |

EVGA RTX 2070 8GB XC Gaming OC @ 2145Mhz Boosted/ 1925Mhz Memory | WD SN750 500GB M.2 NVME | Gigabye 240GB SSD | 
XSPC EX 360mm | Corsair XC7 RGB CPU WB | EK-Vector RTX 2080 | Alphacool Eisbecher D5 150mm Plexi | XSPC Fittings | XSPC FLX Clear 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD |
Corsair LL120 x6 | Corsair RM750x White 2018 | Corsair Commander Pro | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE | Corsair RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion |
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 | Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless 18,000DPI | Acer 32" 4K 60Hz HDR600 Cert. ET322QK CBMIIPZX |

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

Network

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

1 minute ago, ddennis002 said:

That software requires windows.

Are you on a prebuilt/laptop or custom build?

If your installing from scratch, when you boot into windows setup you can format each of the drives there, that would be the easiest in that aspect. You really don't need 0 wipe unless your getting rid of the drives or say if a HDD has issues with sectors.

I'm on a custom build. I just want to make sure nothing is left on the drives so if there are any bugs or viruses it'll be gone. 

Just a simple format of each of the drives will take care of that when you go to reinstall windows.

Follow these steps. This will wipe all data from the drives. Make sure you save anything you want to keep to USB or Cloud.

Step 1:

If the entire hard drive not show as unallocated space, then delete all partitions on the hard drive until it's unallocated (see screenshot below). Select a partition and click on the "Delete" option for each partition. Do this for each of the drives you have installed.

Click image for larger version.   Name: Unallocated space.png  Views: 92  Size: 18.9 KB  ID: 116653

Step 2:

- Option 1:

Click on the "Next" button. The installation of Windows 10 will begin. All the required partitions are created automatically during the install.

- Option 2:

Select the "New" and "Apply" buttons.

Click image for larger version.   Name: Select the New and Apply buttons.png  Views: 89  Size: 27.0 KB  ID: 116657

Click image for larger version.   Name: Windows might create additional partitions for system files.png  Views: 92  Size: 33.3 KB  ID: 116655

Click image for larger version.   Name: GPT.png  Views: 92  Size: 24.6 KB  ID: 116656

Click on the "Next" button. The installation of Windows 10 will begin.

Internet Connection

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

Network

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

10 minutes ago, Electro_XD said:

I'm wiping cuz I think my computer has a virus or something as it's a bit buggy recently. A fresh start would be nice too. Do I need to run windows to run that? I'm looking for something like a redkey alternative.  

Oh, so you'll be reusing the drive.

Just plug the Windows installer in, and in the options, delete the old partition and make a new one (after you backup)

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

The Windows installer will format the OS drive before it copies files over.  Even if the virus' files are still on there and aren't overwritten during the install, the virus itself will not be able to reinfect your PC.

Seeing as you mention having multiple drives inside the PC :

I'd suggest disconnecting your other drives during the installation of Windows.  The Windows installer has this nasty habit of putting the bootloader on another drive than the OS, which means that if you ever replace/upgrade that HDD your Windows install will not boot anymore. 

Simply disconnect the power or SATA cables of your other drives and plug them back in after Windows has been installed.