Dark Souls 3 as low as 13fps

f2bacon
Go to solution Solved by f2bacon,

solved, the 12v fan header on my old motherboard was melting for the past couple years, i had to run out and buy some new parts, back to 59fps average. sorry to bother

Hey, I needed some kind of excuse to end up on the ltt forums.
I've been upgrading my setup, and at first I had great results, but now I keep getting lag spikes. Last week I was getting 50/60fps, and now it's around 40 with spikes as low as 13, but usually 20.
It's an HP h8-1223 that I've upgraded through the years.

Windows 10 pro 64bit
Now in a nzxt h440 case
gigabyte gtx 1060 3gb windforce
Amd fx-8150
nzxt kraken x52 240mm aio

24gb ram (came with 8gb i think? I got 2x8gb and 2x4gb) cause it was what was available
the motherboard shows up as a gigabyte 2ac8 but the code in the inside is m3970bm

Running a 120gb sandisk ssd for windows, 120gb sandisk ssd for programs and games, and a 2tb hard drive for storage
Scorpio 535w semi-modular psu
I'm using 32" tvs for monitors. I know there's an input lag even on game mode, but that shouldn't effect fps especially since I had great fps with these before.

I'm strongly considering the nvidia control panel settings may have something to do with my issues, since I've been changing stuff around. So I'll include those settings.

Multi-frame - off
OpenGL auto-select
power management - prefer maximum performance
shader cache - on
texture filtering antisoptropic - on
texture filtering negative - allow

texture filtering quality - high performance
texture filtering trilinear - on
threaded optimization - on
triple buffering - on
vertical sync - adaptive
virtual pre-rendered - 1

I'm using custom curves to keep everything below 100 degrees fahrenheit

Thanks for any help!!

Temperatures while gaming?

Seeing shitty performance on any fx chip isn't surprising

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

i dont think i've ever seen anything above 120f. What's weird about that is the cpu is 1 of the things I haven't changed

5 minutes ago, f2bacon said:

I'm using custom curves to keep everything below 100 degrees fahrenheit

That must be really loud, most people keep it below 100 Celsius (well 80 is preferable)

What graphics card do you have exactly? I don't see it in the original post. Also your CPU is not the best, you should check usage in game.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

cpu usage is really low, I'll check the specifics tonight. neither cpu nor gpu showed heavy usage percents.
i knew i left something out! gtx 1060 3gb windforce

1 minute ago, f2bacon said:

cpu usage is really low, I'll check the specifics tonight. neither cpu nor gpu showed heavy usage percents.
i knew i left something out! gtx 1060 3gb windforce

You may want to consider using DDU to remove all drivers and start fresh, if usage is universally low.

Also, be sure to quote people so they see your response.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

You may want to consider using DDU to remove all drivers and start fresh, if usage is universally low.

Also, be sure to quote people so they see your response.

I actually did that when I first switched from my old 750ti to this, but it can't hurt to do again.
sorry, and thanks! i'll make sure to do that from now on

it almost looks like it was running better when the gpu was warmer. am i cooling it too much? when i first got it, i would just either have the fan at like 30% regularly, and like 80% while playing

Capture.PNG

solved, the 12v fan header on my old motherboard was melting for the past couple years, i had to run out and buy some new parts, back to 59fps average. sorry to bother