First time build looking for guidance

Alright so it's taken a while but I'm finally financially in a place where I can spend a decent amount of cash on a build and I've come here looking for advice. I plan on completing the build by the end of May but I figure if I get started now I might be able to catch some sales in between now and then.

Some notes

• I live in the United states
  • My budget is around $2000-2500 usd
  • I need literally everything that includes a monitor(up to two) and other peripherals
  • Use is for heavy gaming, possible streaming, and VR 
  • No preference on parts other than reliability and performance per dollar 

Any and all help would be appreciated I went onto pcpartpicker but I ended up having no ideas so I came here. Thank you in advance, if I missed any needed information let me know.

For that budget, I would definitely reccomend getting a 144hz 1440p or 180-240hz 1080p monitor. Also a second monitor in general. You have no idea how often it's helpful to be playing a game and have charts/strategy guide/discord/streaming stuff on the second monitor so you don't have to constantly flip back and forth. I'd say it's essential if you plan on streaming. The second monitor doesn't have to be fancy, a 1080p 60hz for like $80 would do fine.

For heavy gaming, intel is still the king of single threaded performance. Consider 8600k,8700k, 9600k, 9700k for CPUs and that price point.
You have the budget for Nvidia gpus as well. Consider rtx 2070 or 2080 for that price point/monitor setup.

I'll try to throw something together in PCPartpicker

Specs
i7-6700k @ 4.5GHz w/ H100i AIO
ASUS GTX 1080

32GB DDR4 3000Mh

Acer XB241H bmipr 24" 1920x1080p 180hz monitor
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8qQJWD

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

wait, untill when you are actually buying. Zen 2 is on the horizon and with the budget you are working with, that is honestly worth waiting for. 

I somewhat agree with GoldenLag. Pricing will likely change between now and then, but for a first build more well established hardware is the way to go. Leave the bleeding edge tech to the people that are willing to put up with troubleshooting with little information.

Specs
ASUS GTX 1080

32GB DDR4 3000Mh

7 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

wait, untill when you are actually buying. Zen 2 is on the horizon and with the budget you are working with, that is honestly worth waiting for. 

Not saying Zen 2 won't be cool, but it will be new enough to confuse a first time builder compared to the just tons of information available for 8000 series intel CPUs

Specs
ASUS GTX 1080

32GB DDR4 3000Mh

Well like I said I plan to start buying parts between now and the end of may depending on if I catch sales so a general idea of what to look out for would help, I'm constantly shopping around and i know with pcpartpicker you can set email alerts if the price drops 

Just now, lightning_po said:

Not saying Zen 2 won't be cool, but it will be new enough to confuse a first time builder compared to the just tons of information available for 8000 series intel CPUs

there is more than enough info out there. and any CPU is practically plug and play.

4 minutes ago, lightning_po said:

Leave the bleeding edge tech to the people that are willing to put up with troubleshooting with little information.

um, idk what you are on about. consumer "bleeding edge" is a bit expencive, but not a concern in terms of stability etc. 

honestly, wait for Zen 2. see how it handles. and if it is anywhere near where the rumours put it: buy. going with 9th or 8th gen with that kind of budget is not a great plan. 

Here's what I came up with in 15 minutes. There is room for improvement on this list to be sure, but this is right about $2200

Edited by lightning_po
3am forgot the link lol

Specs
ASUS GTX 1080

32GB DDR4 3000Mh

2 minutes ago, lightning_po said:

Here's what I came up with in 15 minutes. There is room for improvement on this list to be sure, but this is right about $2200

I think you forgot the link lol

9 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

honestly, wait for Zen 2. see how it handles. and if it is anywhere near where the rumours put it: buy. going with 9th or 8th gen with that kind of budget is not a great plan. 

I do honestly see your point. I will say he plans on building this throughout the next month and that intel's 8th and 9th gen are already well established and all we really have to go on so far for zen 2 is marketing and leaks. If he wants to wait, it could be worth it, it could be a waste of time. We don't know for sure. We do know for sure what's better for single threaded RIGHT NOW.

EDIT: Yes, forgot the link, fixed it. Also note that this was literally just slapped together in 15 minutes and could definitely be improved on. I just threw a random case in there because for a nice aesthetic case expect to spend at least $100. You could cheap out on that and slap some fans in a cheaper one and have the same performance.

Also, NVME drives are a thing, maybe consider optane, you have the budget. Just some rough estimates

Specs
ASUS GTX 1080

32GB DDR4 3000Mh

zen 2 is marketing and leaks

i mean we have a cinebench run from January....... and a substrate picture...... tbf the cinebench run is marketing, but we know what the test system ran and that cinebench favors AMD a bit. 

3 minutes ago, lightning_po said:

If he wants to wait, it could be worth it, it could be a waste of time.

we will have to see, but from what we have gathered, its gonna be worth it for those wanting to spend a lot of money. even if its simply to be sure they dont end up with buyers remorse. and if its not better, it is at least going to be cheaper (that is speculation, but its AMD we are talking about. they cant launch anything expencive)

but if one cant wait, 9th gen isnt a bad choice. 

I could wait til the summer if that's when they launch to see how it all turns out is there a set release date yet?

8 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

i mean we have a cinebench run from January.....

I didn't know that actually.

but if one cant wait, 9th gen isnt a bad choice. 

I put a 8700k on there just because I clicked it first, and not have to deal with potential BIOS updates. 9700k would be a better choice for an extra $30, that he has budget for.

Specs
ASUS GTX 1080

32GB DDR4 3000Mh

April 16th or 19th I think for zen 2. You'll definitely get more price/performance out of AMD, but if you only care about raw performance and not necessarily cost, Intel is the way to go.

EDIT : Sorry for double posting, I'm not meaning to, I just forget to hit edit sometimes.

Specs
ASUS GTX 1080

32GB DDR4 3000Mh

1 minute ago, lightning_po said:

April 16th or 19th I think for zen 2. You'll definitely get more price/performance out of AMD, but if you only care about raw performance and not necessarily cost, Intel is the way to go.

I did say the only preference I had was performance per dollar so if zen 2 is going to be better for that I could probably wait. 

10 minutes ago, lightning_po said:

um, what?

10 minutes ago, lightning_po said:

cheap AIO? nope, swap for good aircooler. nh-d15 or Dark Rock Pro 4

11 minutes ago, lightning_po said:

swap for mx 500 500GB drive from Crucial. 

12 minutes ago, lightning_po said:

32GB is redundant. also 2666mhz speed? get at least 3000mhz. 3200mhz max. 

13 minutes ago, lightning_po said:

oh dear god no. never ever suggest a VS PSU. this is one of those PSUs  that may end up being the death of your system. 

14 minutes ago, lightning_po said:

odd GPU choice for this sort of budget, but ok. 

Just now, trainerlynx said:

I could wait til the summer if that's when they launch to see how it all turns out is there a set release date yet?

May/June. more likely June at the time being. i suggest waiting for that. 

I didn't know that actually.

chopped down "early" sample Zen 2 CPU with 75%/50% of the expected cores. tying the 9900k. take it with a grain of salt, we dont know what it will actually perform like. 

@lightning_po im critiquing the system, because it has major flaws. 

2 minutes ago, lightning_po said:

April 16th or 19th I think for zen 2.

what? nonononono. May at the earliest, they have no launch events in April or other events to align it with

I'll try again, this time with effort.

Specs
ASUS GTX 1080

32GB DDR4 3000Mh

@lightning_po

this is worth a read. quite a lot of people worked on this. the suggestion builds are a bit outdated, but it contains just about any info you need to create a good build. 

edit:

OP: if you have free time, you can have a read aswell. dont be afraid to PM if you have any questions

13 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

swap for mx 500 500GB drive from Crucial. 

I've heard good things about the inland SSDs. If the T force delta RGB (which apparently is an adata su800 ultimate), mx 500, or 860 evo are pretty close in price I'd pick those up. I didn't check the price of any of the current SSDs but I wanted to point it out.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

23 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

@lightning_po

this is worth a read. quite a lot of people worked on this. the suggestion builds are a bit outdated, but it contains just about any info you need to create a good build. 

With considerably more thought and effort put into it, here's an updated parts list ( I used suggested PSU and Case from what you posted, took your suggestion for air cooler (even though I personally think H100i would be better, but to each their own)

Still went with 8700k so there's no worrying about a BIOS update
Changed the AIO to a "decent air cooler"
Increased speed of RAM

Went full m.2 drive instead of just Sata SSD
2080 instead of 2070
Nicer case
Much better PSU
Slightly cheaper, slightly smaller main monitor
Leaves $150 for choose your own peripherals/headphones

Edited by lightning_po
Changed several things.

Specs
ASUS GTX 1080

32GB DDR4 3000Mh

3 minutes ago, lightning_po said:

With considerably more thought and effort put into it, here's an updated parts list ( I used suggested PSU and Case from what you posted, took your suggestion for air cooler (even though I personally think H100i would be better, but to each their own)

Still went with 8700k so there's no worrying about a BIOS update
Changed the AIO to a "decent air cooler"
Increased speed of RAM

Went full m.2 drive instead of just Sata SSD
2080 instead of 2070
Nicer case
Much better PSU
Slightly cheaper, slightly smaller main monitor
Leaves $150 for choose your own peripherals/headphones

h370 motherboard??????

did you mistake the H for a Z?

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

3 minutes ago, fantasia. said:

did you mistake the H for a Z?

...yes. post updated.

Specs
ASUS GTX 1080

32GB DDR4 3000Mh

4 minutes ago, lightning_po said:

...yes. post updated.

im not sure about the Z370 choice. It's not a terrific board but it's not absolute garbo. You can get a way better board and still cut down some money by getting a windows key off of eBay (I got a pro key for $12 USD that's still working). That should open up for a better motherboard choice.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

4 minutes ago, fantasia. said:

im not sure about the Z370 choice. It's not a terrific board but it's not absolute garbo. You can get a way better board and still cut down some money by getting a windows key off of eBay (I got a pro key for $12 USD that's still working). That should open up for a better motherboard choice.

Good point, changed to a mobo that even the mobo tier list post says is definitely B tier. ASUS PRIME z370

I was honestly not aware that, other than overclocking, boards made any significant difference. I am willing to admit I am wrong on this.

Specs
ASUS GTX 1080

32GB DDR4 3000Mh