Looking for advice on PSU to fix GPU coil whine

Tech Enthusiast

I am experiencing massive Coil Whine from my RTX 2080TI Strix.

Asus told me it is not to be expected and RMAed it, but I went trough 5(!!!) Strix cards now, and they all have the same coil whine starting at 1400mhz, and getting unbearable by 1600mhz. The normal boost would be 1980mhz.

This is not related to FPS, it can be as low as 40 fps and still whine like a madman. It is all down to clock speed, so I guess it really is down to the PSU and power delivery.

Setting the Power Limit to 50% fixed the whining, due to the GPU never going above 1400mhz for more then a few seconds. But that is obviously not something you want to do to a 1500 $ GPU. 

However, this again showed me that playing with the power made the issue vanish, so I am guessing a better / new PSU can solve this, hopefully.

The Strix OC version with Samsung Memory starts whining at about 1650mhz, which is a pretty nice improvement already, but id like to also use it at stock (1980mhz) or even OC it past 2k tbh.

That being said:

I am currently using a Seasonic X Series 650w PSU. Which is one of those that usually get recommended as a fix for bad power delivery and coil whine.

Which obviously does not work for me.

What are my options here?

I honestly don't mind spending 200+ on the PSU if it can fix my coil whine issue. The fans are damn near silent on the Strix, but what good does it do if it screams trough closed doors. I also know about the PSU Tier list, but I am not 100% sure if I can just pick something from S tier and be sure to get a solid power delivery that minimizes coil whine on a GPU. Also: Does going overkill help any? Like if I go for a 1000w PSU, would that possibly help? Since PSUs are most efficient at 50ish %, I could try and aim for a PSU that hits those 50% at peak system draw. But I don't understand enough about PSUs to know if this would actually do me any good.

Open for any recommendations and ideas.

Edit: 

Silence is a big focus of mine. So if possible I would like a PSU that does not turn on fans unless needed (my X Series never turned the fans on once as far as I can tell). Fixing coil whine is the goal, but I would not want to replace it by a loud fan noise if at all possible.

Although cleaner power can reduce electrical noise I don't believe buying a new PSU will have any worthwhile impact on reducing GPU coil while unless you're having known PSU issues in general. You'd be better off soldering some capacitors to the input of the GPU to smooth-out the incoming power. It'd be a much cheaper solution but to be honest in either scenario one that I don't think will change much.

3 hours ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

I am experiencing massive Coil Whine from my RTX 2080TI Strix.

Asus told me it is not to be expected and RMAed it, but I went trough 5(!!!) Strix cards now, and they all have the same coil whine starting at 1400mhz, and getting unbearable by 1600mhz. The normal boost would be 1980mhz.

This is not related to FPS, it can be as low as 40 fps and still whine like a madman. It is all down to clock speed, so I guess it really is down to the PSU and power delivery.

Setting the Power Limit to 50% fixed the whining, due to the GPU never going above 1400mhz for more then a few seconds. But that is obviously not something you want to do to a 1500 $ GPU. 

However, this again showed me that playing with the power made the issue vanish, so I am guessing a better / new PSU can solve this, hopefully.

The Strix OC version with Samsung Memory starts whining at about 1650mhz, which is a pretty nice improvement already, but id like to also use it at stock (1980mhz) or even OC it past 2k tbh.

That being said:

I am currently using a Seasonic X Series 650w PSU. Which is one of those that usually get recommended as a fix for bad power delivery and coil whine.

Which obviously does not work for me.

What are my options here?

I honestly don't mind spending 200+ on the PSU if it can fix my coil whine issue. The fans are damn near silent on the Strix, but what good does it do if it screams trough closed doors. I also know about the PSU Tier list, but I am not 100% sure if I can just pick something from S tier and be sure to get a solid power delivery that minimizes coil whine on a GPU. Also: Does going overkill help any? Like if I go for a 1000w PSU, would that possibly help? Since PSUs are most efficient at 50ish %, I could try and aim for a PSU that hits those 50% at peak system draw. But I don't understand enough about PSUs to know if this would actually do me any good.

Open for any recommendations and ideas.

Edit: 

Silence is a big focus of mine. So if possible I would like a PSU that does not turn on fans unless needed (my X Series never turned the fans on once as far as I can tell). Fixing coil whine is the goal, but I would not want to replace it by a loud fan noise if at all possible.

I would take LukeSavenije advise and get a new PSU from Tier A+ or S.

A good 750W is plenty.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

Welp.

Tried an Asus Thor and the whine did not improve even a tiny bit.

Since I have had 5 Strix by now, I will just give up and order a different GPU. ?