2600(X) w/2080 ti vs 9700k w/2080? Which would you choose?

ch3w2oy

Okay, so I got an offer for my new build (in sig), comes out to just a tad over what the parts cost, so nothing special. 

Thing is, I like to build PCs and try different parts. My end goal is still to end up with Zen 2 in a few months. I've went through a shit load of parts before I ended at the 9700K, and I don't really care to keep it and my entire intention with this build was to sell it anyway. 

If I get a Ryzen 2600 it will only be a placeholder. I'm curious what most of you would choose and whether or not the performance increase is worth it or not.

If you have a 1440p 144hz display, 

Would you rather have a 2600(x) and a 2080 ti or a 9700k @ 5.2ghz with a 2080?

The 2600(x) will be replaced with whatever replaces it in the Zen 2 lineup, hopefully at least an 8 core way better IPC CPU.

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

Neither, I'd wait if possible and get a Zen2 in a month or two.

They might even be on a ship and shipped to your local dealer right now.

As for the GPU: I chose VEGA instead, as there were 3 pretty nice games...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

19 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Neither, I'd wait if possible and get a Zen2 in a month or two.

They might even be on a ship and shipped to your local dealer right now.

As for the GPU: I chose VEGA instead, as there were 3 pretty nice games...

I probably will wait. I have those 3 games from my Vega 64. I'll probably just get Zen 2 and a Radeon VII. I don't need a 2080 ti, I just like to play with different parts.

I'm still curious as to what people would choose between those two. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium

I would go for the 2080ti and the 2600x if I had to choose right now because of some deal because of the better upgrade path ryzen has and the 2080ti is a beast of a card. You're losing out on some fps but still, its gonna give you heaps of frames anyways. Also, like who actually has a 2080ti like less than 1% I would think. Major bragging rights.

I would go with a 2600 + 2080 or wait for Zen 2 + 2080. Fits in around a $1300 - $1500 budget for the entire PC.

2 hours ago, ch3w2oy said:

I probably will wait. I have those 3 games from my Vega 64. I'll probably just get Zen 2 and a Radeon VII. I don't need a 2080 ti, I just like to play with different parts.

I'm still curious as to what people would choose between those two. 

If you already have the games don't go Radeon VII. It's slower, hotter, louder, and more power hungry than 2080 and lacks DLSS and RTX if you care about that sort of thing.

Main System: EVGA GTX 1080 SC, i7 8700, 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15, Asus Z370 Prime A, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R5, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 500gb Samsung 850 Evo
Secondary System: EVGA GTX 780ti SC, i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz, 16gb DDR3 1600mhz, MSI Z77 G43, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R4, 3TB WD Caviar Blue, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo

2 minutes ago, Zeitec said:

If you already have the games don't go Radeon VII. It's slower, hotter, louder, and more power hungry than 2080 and lacks DLSS and RTX if you care about that sort of thing.

I really liked my Vega 64, though. I like their software WAY better than Nvidias. I wish they would make better partner cards but I might just get something until they release something new.. 

I don't think the card is that bad with new driver updates, it's hard to find recent reviews.. But either way, it should be just fine for what I do.. I know all companies are greedy but I still want to support AMD as much as possible..

1 hour ago, Lordofcheez said:

I would go for the 2080ti and the 2600x if I had to choose right now because of some deal because of the better upgrade path ryzen has and the 2080ti is a beast of a card. You're losing out on some fps but still, its gonna give you heaps of frames anyways. Also, like who actually has a 2080ti like less than 1% I would think. Major bragging rights.

I don't really care about bragging rights.. I just like playing with new things ? It really is a beast card, though!!!

1 minute ago, ch3w2oy said:

I don't really care about bragging rights.. I just like playing with new things ? It really is a beast card, though!!!

I mean you tell a girl you have a 2080ti and I mean... it's pound town tonight yah know... LOL.

Just had to do some youtube research 

Fortnite 1080p epic settings:

9700k @ 5 GHZ / RTX 2080  - AVG 198 FPS

2600x overclocked @ 4.3 GHZ / RTX 2080 ti - AVG 195 FPS

Essentially you are getting the same performance so go with whatever gives you cheaper price tag

3 minutes ago, PrinnyExplodes said:

Just had to do some youtube research 

Fortnite 1080p epic:

9700k @ 5 GHZ / RTX 2080  - AVG 198 FPS

2600x oced @ 4.3 GHZ / RTX 2080 ti - AVG 195 FPS

Essentially you are getting the same performance so go with whatever gives you cheaper price tag

I appreciate the effort but I don't play at 1080p nor do I play Fortnite.. You can't base it off one game bud.. If I played at 4K I can almost say with certainty that the 2600X w/2080 ti would be a lot more powerful, you know, since higher resolutions requires less CPU power.. 

1 hour ago, ch3w2oy said:

I appreciate the effort but I don't play at 1080p nor do I play Fortnite.. You can't base it off one game bud.. If I played at 4K I can almost say with certainty that the 2600X w/2080 ti would be a lot more powerful, you know, since higher resolutions requires less CPU power.. 

Ahh your right, I forgot about that. So I guess hands down the 2600x with the 2080ti would be the best option.