Jump to content

Question about screen tearing

Andretti2019

Will I get screen tearing on a 144 hz display WITHOUT freesync/gsync capabilities and vsync off if the game runs at about 60 FPS? Why would I want a 144 hz display if my PC can only handle 60 FPS? Well it can reach 144 FPS and go over it in SOME games. But quite a lot of visually demanding games run around 60. And I hate vsync as it causes input lag.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe you really only get tearing if you go above the refresh rate of the monitor.

144Hz is really great in any kind of fast paced game and especially in FPS games, it doesn't make much of a difference in most single-player or story driven games where you might not have to react very quickly to elements of the game.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 馃檪

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

I believe you really only get tearing if you go above the refresh rate of the monitor.

144Hz is really great in any kind of fast paced game and especially in FPS games, it doesn't make much of a difference in most single-player or story driven games where you might not have to react very quickly to elements of the game.

I think if its without vsync, since then videocard swaps/writes the buffer while the "previous" frame is still being ouput.

This is regardless of framerate as far as i know, the tear occurs due to not syncing frame change of output聽with new "start of frame" being begun by the monitor; monitor is then still writing last from - top to bottom - hence the vertical shift anywhere "mid screen"

At 144hz might become less noticable if gpu can provide 144+ fps because relative motion between frames will be less on average with the extra frames compared to 60hz

1 hour ago, Andretti2019 said:

Will I get screen tearing on a 144 hz display WITHOUT freesync/gsync capabilities and vsync off if the game runs at about 60 FPS? Why would I want a 144 hz display if my PC can only handle 60 FPS? Well it can reach 144 FPS and go over it in SOME games. But quite a lot of visually demanding games run around 60. And I hate vsync as it causes input lag.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Theguywhobea said:

I believe you really only get tearing if you go above the refresh rate of the monitor.

144Hz is really great in any kind of fast paced game and especially in FPS games, it doesn't make much of a difference in most single-player or story driven games where you might not have to react very quickly to elements of the game.

I don't think that's how it works. I tried limiting the FPS to 60 on my 60 hz display from the AMD catalyst menu. The screen tearing is actually a lot worse than with an uncapped framerate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Andretti2019 said:

I don't think that's how it works. I tried limiting the FPS to 60 on my 60 hz display from the AMD catalyst menu. The screen tearing is actually a lot worse than with an uncapped framerate.

Indeed, (also see my vsync post above for intro).

With vsync off but fps capped close to monitor refresh聽through other means (afterburner, catalyst or otherwise) rendering/swap will be at "nearly" the same pace, but not synced to monitor. Result is tear position wont be semi random but near earlier frames position (casung tear line to usyally slowly move up or down). Because consequetive tears now being visually close and the up or down creap added to it (making it a 2 axis visual phenomenon) that can look much more pronounced and noticable.

This is why vsync causes fps cap, it basically hold back the next gpu ouput frame until the monitor finished writing the last (bottom) scanline.

Free/gsync kind of reverses the principle: monitor will hold current frame, waiting for next to arrive (this is why monitor needs to support it and not just the vidcard) instead of vidcard waiting for monitor "next" vsync signal at fixed rate. Hence no tearing with either vsync or g/freesync on.

Basically freesync is variable rate vsync and the sync interval is determined by gpu frame-by-frame instead of monitor using fixed interval.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now