£1000-1500 Range Build - Please help compare and improve

Go to solution Solved by Taf the Ghost,

@GeekRichieUK if you're working at 4K, there's almost no reason to delid. 

At 4K, there's zero difference between the CPUs in gaming. If you're going to be video editing, I'd be better to go AMD and get up to 32 Gb of memory. You can flip the CPU for one with more cores later in the year if you find you need them.

@_Syn_ is correct on putting the 1080 Ti in the AMD build, generally. 

I'm trying to figure out the storage setup you're going with. None of the non-HEDT boards allow for NVMe on 2 M.2 slots. So you'd either need to keep the Corsair and sell the Samsung, or you could buy a good SSD ( See this listing  ) for cheaper. You'll get the same performance and save some money. If you think you want that much NVMe storage for video editing, I'd see about flipping the Samsung.

PLEASE NOTE - CUSTOM PRICES ARE DUE TO AVAILABLE DISCOUNTS I CAN GET PERSONALLY.

Use case:   Gaming and occasional video editing.

Budget: £1000-£1500 All In (note £400 of bits coming from existing system, remove this amount from Totals below)

Note:  Monitor is 75Hz Freesync

Note: May delid and overclock 8600K if it looks worthwhile as airflow is issue

Note:  Any case replacement requires front intake, rear exhaust.  Filtered preferred.

Intel

AMD 

*Note - I know someone told me Gigabyte isn't great for AMD - but getting 2x M.2 slots ain't cheap.

Put the GTX 1080 Ti in the AMD build and you'll be golden, you're gaming at 4K so the CPU doesn't really matter that much, but the 2700X is definitely much better for editing.

also get a 650W, 550W would "work" but there won't be much headroom for overclocking and what not.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

It's not bad as it is but it could do with some work, as it is right now you can definitely get better price to performance.

This is what I've done:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor £219.98 @ Amazon UK
CPU Cooler ARCTIC - Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler £36.99 @ Amazon UK
Thermal Compound ARCTIC - MX4 4 g Thermal Paste £7.06 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard ASRock - X470 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard £202.40 @ Alza
Memory G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory £93.64 @ Amazon UK
Storage Crucial - MX500 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £45.00 @ Amazon UK
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB AORUS Xtreme Edition 11G Video Card £470.00
Case Fractal Design - Meshify C Dark TG ATX Mid Tower Case £79.99 @ Amazon UK
Power Supply Corsair - RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £92.99 @ AWD-IT
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total £1248.05
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-21 01:56 GMT+0000  

Note: this doesn't include parts that OP has already bought. Also, OP can decide whether or not he'd prefer to go with an MX500 or a PM961, I just like to add in the MX500 because it's a great SSD for a great price.

@GeekRichieUK if you're working at 4K, there's almost no reason to delid. 

At 4K, there's zero difference between the CPUs in gaming. If you're going to be video editing, I'd be better to go AMD and get up to 32 Gb of memory. You can flip the CPU for one with more cores later in the year if you find you need them.

@_Syn_ is correct on putting the 1080 Ti in the AMD build, generally. 

I'm trying to figure out the storage setup you're going with. None of the non-HEDT boards allow for NVMe on 2 M.2 slots. So you'd either need to keep the Corsair and sell the Samsung, or you could buy a good SSD ( See this listing  ) for cheaper. You'll get the same performance and save some money. If you think you want that much NVMe storage for video editing, I'd see about flipping the Samsung.

3 minutes ago, XR6 said:

You basically just excluded the SSD he already purchased, and the second SSD, Windows 10, Monitor and Fans, it's not better in any way

6 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

You basically just excluded the SSD he already purchased, and the second SSD, Windows 10, Monitor and Fans, it's not better in any way

That's because OP has already purchased those parts (except Windows, the 2nd SSD and the fans). There was no reason for me to include them when he already has them. 

I assumed he was going to buy Windows and the fans anyway, so there is absolutely no problem with my build (apart from the fact I did leave out an SSD, but I'll edit it and add an SSD just in case OP would prefer to use a different SSD).

5 minutes ago, XR6 said:

That's because OP has already purchased those parts (except Windows, the 2nd SSD and the fans).

I assumed he was going to buy Windows and the fans anyway, so there is absolutely no problem with my build (apart from the fact I did leave out an SSD, but I'll edit it and add an SSD).

Yeah but look at all the individual parts he has, you changed the case which idk why you would do that, and then put the 2700, which he already has the 2700X with a "special deal" as he said, more expensive motherboard, different RAM same price, and a cooler?

could've just said to switch the motherboard and PSU if you wanted to suggest that, because his build is less expensive actually.

21 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

could've just said to switch the motherboard and PSU if you wanted to suggest that, because his build is less expensive actually.

That was my intention, however it's 2am and I'm tired. I completely forgot and ended up just making a new pcpartpicker list. 

different RAM same price

It's a little bit cheaper.. added it in case OP wanted to save a bit of money. If not he is free to buy the Corsair RAM, it'll perform just as well.

and a cooler

The Ryzen stock cooler is good, but the Arctic Freezer 34 is better and in my opinion, it's worth the extra money.

and then put the 2700, which he already has the 2700X with a "special deal" as he said

I didn't know until you had told me.

you changed the case which idk why you would do that

The airflow is better. It's also available in white if that's what OP would prefer. 

Quick question for those hanging on - Freesync on my current RX480 is a bit of a godsend.

Would Vega 64 still not have price/performance against the 1080 Ti because of its two benefits (Price is 150 cheaper and Freesync)

Also RE: 2x M.2 NVMe - I cant find anywhere that says you can’t have 2 on the Mobo - only that one runs at PCIe 2.0.  Is it a lanes issue, a hard limit or a just that it’s slower?

@Taf the Ghost

2 hours ago, GeekRichieUK said:

Quick question for those hanging on - Freesync on my current RX480 is a bit of a godsend.

Would Vega 64 still not have price/performance against the 1080 Ti because of its two benefits (Price is 150 cheaper and Freesync)

Also RE: 2x M.2 NVMe - I cant find anywhere that says you can’t have 2 on the Mobo - only that one runs at PCIe 2.0.  Is it a lanes issue, a hard limit or a just that it’s slower?

@Taf the Ghost

It'll run at SATA speeds. So it's kind of a waste to have two NVMe drives. Now, Ryzen 3rd gen in the near future should allow for more NVMe drives to be active because it has a lot more lanes. If you want to go that way still, I'd put the 1 TB drive as the NVMe and use it for the boot drive.

As along as the monitor takes FreeSync over DisplayPort, you can run in Gsync mode on the 1080 Ti. Main two reasons is, depending on work flow, the CUDA acceleration can matter and 450 for a 1080 Ti is a really good deal. For 4K gaming, the 1080 Ti is better. For that price, there isn't an AMD card that compares. (Radeon 7 is 700 or higher.)