Keyboard recommendations

IAmAndre

Hi,

I don't know much about keyboards, but I use keyboards a lot. I type around 2,500 words per day on average and sometimes my fingers tend to get tired. I use a Logitech K310 as my main keyboard, but I also work quite a bit on my laptop.

So I'm looking for something that will allow me to type faster and reduce the fatigue on my fingers. So apparently mechanical keyboards are the way to go but I don't know which switches to use, which models to buy, or even how much to spend.

I know that this will depend on personal performance at some point but unfortunately there's nowhere near where I can try mechanical keyboards (or any particular keyboard) first so I'd need more information before ordering one. I also don't want to break the bank so I'd like something under $50 if possible unless the extra money is really worth it. And I don't care much about aesthetics.

I mean I don't have much experience below $50 but I've had my Corsair Strafe (technically a gaming keyboard) for awhile and I really like it.

Mine has MX Brown switches which have a definite tactile bump but do not make a clicking noise like MX Blues do (of course they still make noise when the keycaps hit the back of the keyboard, but you get what I mean)

Seeing as how you do a lot of typing, I would definitely recommend a key switch with lighter actuation force so maybe a MX Red or an off-brand version. Maybe even a MX Speed (but those are typically only used in gaming keyboards)

https://www.amazon.com/Redragon-KUMARA-Backlit-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B016MAK38U/ref=sr_1_3

Reasons:

1. MX Blue style switches which are just excellent for typing (yes they're Outemu but Outemu clones aren't bad at all)

2. Cheap

3. Backlighting

4. Cheap

5. I've been using it for the past 6 months and can definitely recommend it especially for typing purposes

6. clicky click noises

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

1 minute ago, Mo5 said:

https://www.amazon.com/Redragon-KUMARA-Backlit-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B016MAK38U/ref=sr_1_3

Reasons:

1. MX Blue style switches which are just excellent for typing (yes they're Outemu but Outemu clones aren't bad at all)

2. Cheap

3. Backlighting

4. Cheap

5. I've been using it for the past 6 months and can definitely recommend it especially for typing purposes

6. clicky click noises

Thanks. I forgot to mention that I need a full size keyboard since I use numbers a lot. I don't care about backlighting too and I game quite a bit but my focus is productivity.

13 minutes ago, Calamity1911 said:

I mean I don't have much experience below $50 but I've had my Corsair Strafe (technically a gaming keyboard) for awhile and I really like it.

Mine has MX Brown switches which have a definite tactile bump but do not make a clicking noise like MX Blues do (of course they still make noise when the keycaps hit the back of the keyboard, but you get what I mean)

Seeing as how you do a lot of typing, I would definitely recommend a key switch with lighter actuation force so maybe a MX Red or an off-brand version. Maybe even a MX Speed (but those are typically only used in gaming keyboards)

Thanks. I also do a bit of gaming but that's definitely not impacting my choice. Do you have any models to recommend?

5 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

Thanks. I forgot to mention that I need a full size keyboard since I use numbers a lot. I don't care about backlighting too and I game quite a bit but my focus is productivity. 

they make full size options too

https://www.amazon.com/Redragon-K557-Waterproof-Mechanical-Anti-ghosting/dp/B01N7G9CRE

https://www.amazon.com/Keyboard-Mechanical-Redragon-Illuminated-ABS-Metal/dp/B016M91SS0/ref=sr_1_4

Edited by Mo5

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Lighter switches would be less tiring to type on, but you might find that you mistype more often with them. The Gateron Clear switch is among the lightest switches you can get. 

Some prefer linear switches, others prefer tactile ones. That's just personal preference. You could get a switch tester to just feel the difference (although that won't be representative of how they actually feel to type on). 

Also be aware that normal mechanical keyboards are louder than rubber some ones. You could get silenced switches and lube the stabilisers to reduce the noise. 

You could get a cheap full size mechanical keyboard and desolder and replace the switches for the alphanumeric keys. Gateron Clears are $2 for 10 switches, and silenced Gaterons are $3,80 for 10. 

Edited by seon123
Something something

:)

5 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Lighter switches would be less tiring to type on, but you might find that you mistype more often with them. The Gateron Clear switch is among the lightest switches you can get. 

Some prefer linear switches, others prefer tactile ones. That's just personal preference. You could get a switch tester to just feel the difference (although that won't be representative of how they actually feel to type on). 

Also be aware that normal mechanical keyboards are louder than rubber some ones. You could get silenced switches and lube the stabilisers to reduce the noise. 

You could get a cheap full size mechanical keyboard and desolder and replace the switches for the alphanumeric keys. Gateron Clears are $2 for 10 switches, and silenced Gaterons are $3,80 for 10. 

I don't care about noise actually. Any models to recommend?

Corsair K55 really good keyboard and its msrp is $50

(Take anything I say with a grain of salt)

[Main Pc] CPU, i5 9600k GPU, Asus Strix RTX 2060, RAM, 16b Team Group Delta RGB, PSU, Seasonic Px-750 plat , Cooler, Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite ML120L RGB, Storage, 500gb Samsung 950 evo/1tb WD blue/2tb HDD,Case, Enermax ECA3520. + some cooler master RGB fans

[Laptop] Dell G3, i7-8750H (Turbo 4.2 Ghz), Gtx 1050 ti , 8gb 2669 mhz, 128gb nvme ssd, 1tb HDD

[Server]

[Consoles] Pretty much almost every popular one you can think of besides for like Xbox and some Sega Stuff( Playstation especially)

[Mobile Devices] iPhone XR 64gb (Red) gb, iPad Air 2 128gb, Space Grey,  Ipod Shuffle Space Grey

19 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

I don't care about noise actually. Any models to recommend?

Many seem to like Red Dragon's keyboards. I'm fairly sure they have at least one full sized keyboard close to your budget. 

:)