CPU Socket Replacement

So, I recently discovered a method for rescuing motherboards, with broken pins.
There's a way to remove the socket of a motherboard, and replace it with a new One. There are many tutorials on how to do this, with a heat gun, flux and a soldering iron.

I'd love to hear an opinion on this topic from you guys, what I've heard by now is, that it's not worth it for cheap motherboards, but High End Motherboards are worth going through the whole process.

I'm currently trying to rescue an ASRock x79 Extreme 11 Mainboard by replacing the Socket, This is my first time doing something like that so I'm quite excited.

I'd certainly be interested, if Linus did a Video on that topic.

maxresdefault (1).jpg

this is something a very experienced person does who has mounted and repaired several surface components. Not something you attempt on your first try.

and by "expensive boards" they usually mean boards or cpu cards that cost thousands not a 100$ board

10 minutes ago, TheCursedOne said:

t I've heard by now is, that it's not worth it for cheap motherboards, but High End Motherboards are worth going through the whole process.

got all the tools, same method. and 3x dead phones reqired reballing, none survived........

2 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

got all the tools, same method. and 3x dead phones reqired reballing, none survived........

But reballing is a complete different story.

As Louis Rossmann said, that Reballing is bullshit, because the chip itself is dead in most cases.

1 minute ago, TheCursedOne said:

As Louis Rossmann said, that Reballing is bullshit, because the chip itself is dead in most cases.

yeah sort of,but the skills and technique are same  

9 minutes ago, emosun said:

this is something a very experienced person does who has mounted and repaired several surface components. Not something you attempt on your first try.

and by "expensive boards" they usually mean boards or cpu cards that cost thousands not a 100$ board

I can understand your point, but these new sockets cost around 10-20€.

So it's even worth it, for a motherboard that cost 150€ upwards in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, TheCursedOne said:

So you're going to be spending 20 on the replacement socket and another 150 on a board after you screw up your very first reballing

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

So you're going to be spending 20 on the replacement socket and another 150 on a board after you screw up your very first reballing

Nope, I'm just getting these broken boards for free by a friend.

My main rig is working properly.

If you get the boards for free and are willing to screw up (it will most probably happen, at least the first time), then, I think it's a great idea to try and attempt to solder a new socket in. I advise you to try and choose the cheapest possible sockets, within reason, obviously. If you're getting them on eBay for £20, chances are the seller is sourcing them for much cheaper, so, find your own cheap source. If you don't mind "investing" on the sockets and losing some money, I don't see why you wouldn't attempt this kind of repair. I wish I had the time to do it. If you do this enough, chances are, you'll succeed and it'll get easier and easier. Someone who makes no mistakes is someone who never tries something new, so, by all means, go for it. I think it's silly when people tell you you shouldn't do it just because you don't know how to do it. Doing it is the way to learn it.

Quote me so I can reply back :) 

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

1 minute ago, bruny06 said:

If you get the boards for free and are willing to screw up (it will most probably happen, at least the first time), then, I think it's a great idea to try and attempt to solder a new socket in. I advise you to try and choose the cheapest possible sockets, within reason, obviously. If you're getting them on eBay for £20, chances are the seller is sourcing them for much cheaper, so, find your own cheap source. If you don't mind "investing" on the sockets and losing some money, I don't see why you wouldn't attempt this kind of repair. I wish I had the time to do it. If you do this enough, chances are, you'll succeed and it'll get easier and easier. Someone who makes no mistakes is someone who never tries something new, so, by all means, go for it. I think it's silly when people tell you you shouldn't do it just because you don't know how to do it. Doing it is the way to learn it.

Thanks dude!

I'm gonna try it, and maybe keep you updated.

6 minutes ago, TheCursedOne said:

Thanks dude!

I'm gonna try it, and maybe keep you updated.

Please do, I'd love to hear how it went. Remember to watch as many tutorials as possible. You can never know too much.

Quote me so I can reply back :) 

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

Just now, bruny06 said:

Please do, I'd love to hear how it went. Remember to watch as many tutorials as possible. You can never know too much.

I already was succesfull with removing the socket, without doing any damage to the capacitors or the motherboard itself after several tries on failed motherboards. ^^

1 hour ago, TheCursedOne said:

No, as the person with the Knowledge and tools needs about an hour or so for that.

Another Problem: Have you looked at the back of the Socket?
THere's a ton of SMD Components...

So no, its not viable because of the stuff you need to replace it.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

2 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

No, as the person with the Knowledge and tools needs about an hour or so for that.

Another Problem: Have you looked at the back of the Socket?
THere's a ton of SMD Components...

So no, its not viable because of the stuff you need to replace it.

Yeah, I did look at the back of it.

As I've said, I succesfully removed a socket already.

I'll give it a try, because I get all these boards for free or for a small amount of money, and a new socket doesn't cost that much.

• 2 years later...

is there a way to replace the socet without a heatgun??