Managing RGB Parts from Multiple Manufacturers

JDSystems

I'm planning my first major RGB build. I have many years of experience in various areas of technology, including building personal computers. My building experience goes as far back as 8086/8088 CPUs with amber screens! It's been a while since I've built a computer from the ground up and all the new stuff is very cool...

My system usage will not be terribly demanding. The heaviest of its GPU demands will be No Man's Sky. Other than that, audio and video encoding which is CPU anyway... For that reason the NVIDEA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GPU in my current system will be transplanted to the new system. In addition to the RGB stuff, I'm planning on making a custom cooling loop for my CPU and GPU. Obviously I could air cool or use an AIO liquid cooler for just the CPU. The custom loop will be for aesthetics and the fun / challenge of it...

Certain fans (Corsair) may be 'the best' but, as described above, my demands will not be excessive. Also, I will be doing push/pull on the rad and maxing out all other fan location so I will not be wanting for wind! Because of this, I would like to make fan (and other component) selection based on appearances as long as they are capable and dependable.

The key to my RGB goal is to run all RGB parts in my system, regardless of manufacturer, through one piece of software. I am familiar with Corsair iCue but not stuck on it.

The tech side of the software is very important as well. Lights are nice but the tech part of the software, seeing the status of various devices and managing settings, is very important, too.

Is there RGB stuff that follows set or de facto industry standards? A lot of fans say 'addressable' and I also see a lot of 'ARGB' as well. The descriptions on Amazon aren't consistent across brands. Corsair's site doesn't even mention ARGB or addressable stuff.

I like the Corsair HD120/HD140 fans. It looks like the LEDs for the fans on top of the case pulling through the rad will look nice even though they will be showing the backs. One thing I don't like is the proprietary 5v 4-pin connector that requires the hub that comes with the fans.

I also like the DEEPCOOL MF120S. I would have to use some thing different for the pull side of the rad on top because of the way the MF120S mounts. It's unique and it says it's Addressable RGB, It says "Both motherboard control and wired controller are supported." I'm just not clear on what this means in terms of software. I just finished helping my son build his first-ever system from scratch. It has no RGB to speak of since it's an under desk system that will never be seen. Maybe it's because of this, but the Corsair plug on the MSI motherboard never got used.

I think that's about it! Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

As far as I know there isnt any software that controls all the different RGB eco-systems, feel free to create one, I think everyone wants one. 

The closest thing is the asus aura sync that can control the RGB from G-skill memory modules.

Hello!

aaradorn is correct in saying aura sync is probably your best bet... but compromises have to be made.

https://www.asus.com/campaign/aura/us/index.html

This site gives you all the hardware that can be plugged in and controlled through an asus motherboard, under the "Partners and Promotions" tab.

The Overview tab gives you the hardware Asus make themselves which is compatible.

Best of luck!

Doc