Laptop won't turn on after borrowing a charger

IAmAndre

Hi,

I was in a meeting when my Huawei Matebook's battery almost died. I borrowed another USB C charger and it worked fine... Until I unplugged it. It turned off automatically and won't turn on. I'm back at home and plugged in the original charger and I can see the green LED indicating that it's fully charged but it won't turn on. Is there anything that I can try?

I'm attaching a picture of the charger I used (the black Asus one) and the original charger.

Thanks

IMG_20190206_160131.jpg

IMG_20190318_134057.jpg

I'm sorry the images are too blurry to see if the power output is identical... Type-C charging is EXTREMELY sensitive, you try charging through Type-C with any specification being different at all you're likely to break the device altogether.

Refer to this article:

https://www.theverge.com/2016/2/4/10916264/usb-c-russian-roulette-power-cords

It was more intended to cheap generic chargers but the reality is the same even to good ones should specifications differ from what manufacturer had in mind, so first step is making sure both the Huawei and ASUS charger has identical outputs, if they don't you might be in big trouble.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

looks like the asus one can output higher voltage and amps at minimum. the huawei is 5V~2A, 9V~2A or 12V~2A. the asus ranged from 5V~3A to 20V~2.25A. with the output differences and the different spec of usb c like @Princess Cadence said, it might be that something had been fried.

5 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

I'm sorry the images are too blurry to see if the power output is identical... Type-C charging is EXTREMELY sensitive, you try charging through Type-C with any specification being different at all you're likely to break the device altogether.

Refer to this article:

https://www.theverge.com/2016/2/4/10916264/usb-c-russian-roulette-power-cords

It was more intended to cheap generic chargers but the reality is the same even to good ones should specifications differ from what manufacturer had in mind, so first step is making sure both the Huawei and ASUS charger has identical outputs, if they don't you might be in big trouble.

I'll keep that in mind. It was more of a software issue apparently because I figured out that pressing the power button for 20 seconds forces the device to charge, and I'm my case it made it stop charging then I was able to turn it on.

Now this raises another question because I was about to buy a USB C Power Deliver power bank designed for the Switch. They do mention "Huawei Matebook" in the compatible devices without specifying the model but could something like that happen again?

4 minutes ago, HolaImBob said:

looks like the asus one can output higher voltage and amps at minimum. the huawei is 5V~2A, 9V~2A or 12V~2A. the asus ranged from 5V~3A to 20V~2.25A. with the output differences and the different spec of usb c like @Princess Cadence said, it might be that something had been fried.

4 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:
  • huawei charger: 12V 2A
  • asus charger: 15V 3A

it gon fried ._. apparently the laptop asked for the third charging profile and.....

???

I was able to turn the tablet back on. Can you please the compatibility of this power bank https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Portable-26800mAh-Recharged-Nintendo/dp/B01LRQDAEI ?

58 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

okay I might have noticed something (in terms of finding a compatible battery)

USB Power Delivery 2.0 only have 5V 9V 15V 20V profiles. most batteries have moved on to this standard

your original charger has a 12V profile, which fits the definitions of the earlier 1.0 standard

which exact matebook do you own again? o_o

It's the original Matebook.

OK I just found this on an eBay listing:

"Battery capacity: 20400 mAh
Battery specs: LG 18650 3.7 V 3400 mAh, 6 cells
Output power: 57 W
Type-C Output: 5 V ~ 20 V ? 3 A 45 W Max
QC 3.0 Output: 4.6 V ~ 12 V ? 3 A 36 W Max
Hi-Smart Port Output: 5 V ? 2.4 A 12 W Max
Type-C Input: 5 V ~ 20 V ? 3 A 60 W Max"

Would this be compatible with my tablet ? The specs of the charger are in the original message.

• 1 month later...

Hi! 

I am having the same problem with the Matebook 13. I tried all of the above and never used another charger if not the original. 

The only thing that has changed is that I moved from Italy to Argentina for this semester, however there shouldn't be any difference with voltage or anything else (and all my other electronics devices are just fine) 

Do you have any other suggestion? 

3 hours ago, Enrica said:

Hi! 

I am having the same problem with the Matebook 13. I tried all of the above and never used another charger if not the original. 

The only thing that has changed is that I moved from Italy to Argentina for this semester, however there shouldn't be any difference with voltage or anything else (and all my other electronics devices are just fine) 

Do you have any other suggestion? 

I'm sad to hear that. Does the LED still turn on when you plug it in?